Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:00 PM

46 posts, read 406,118 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five (yes, that is large by today's standard) looking to the possibly of a job transfer. What area of Bend is family friendly, good schools, shopping, yet close enough to an area rich with culture...???

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2add3 View Post
close enough to an area rich with culture...???

Bend? Rich with culture? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA................. HA!

Unless you think sittin' by the Deschutes river reading a good book is "rich with culture".
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is some kind of "culture" in Bend, but I wouldn't call it "rich".

On a serious note, if you find a place like that, it's probably going to be close to the city center, and the absurd real estate prices in that area will probably leave you breathless.
A house that goes for 200k to 300k in Portland will cost you 500k and up there.
And I really can't see any reason for that. It's just because it's in BEND.

Maybe some of the cool Benderoonianites that frequent this forum can help you out on the "culture" aspect.

For some "big city" type culture, it's a four to five hour drive to Portland.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-17-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,460,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2add3 View Post
We are a family of five (yes, that is large by today's standard) looking to the possibly of a job transfer. What area of Bend is family friendly, good schools, shopping, yet close enough to an area rich with culture...???

Thank you!
Bend is a city of 80,000 or so. Everything is close. Bend is an outdoor oriented city. I wouldn't say there is culture there in the way that most big city people think about culture. Bend is a nice city, but it isn't a cultural city. Snowboarding, hiking, biking...totally has that covered. If you don't like the outdoors you will be bored in Bend.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:29 PM

478 posts, read 785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Bend is a city of 80,000 or so. Everything is close. Bend is an outdoor oriented city. I wouldn't say there is culture there in the way that most big city people think about culture. Bend is a nice city, but it isn't a cultural city. Snowboarding, hiking, biking...totally has that covered. If you don't like the outdoors you will be bored in Bend.
I second that. I love Bend, myself.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
I second that. I love Bend, myself.
I third that! Bend is heaven for me.

----

@pdxMIKEpdx: It behooves you to sit high on your hill with your culturally rich Portland looking down at Bend.

To me, Portland is how you describe Bend. A mono-culture & a big suburb, but without the abundance of extreme outdoors at your fingertips.

I have lived in NYC for 1 year, London for 10 months and Baltimore for 2 years - It is all about perspective.

----

That all said, pdxMIKEpdx has a point if you disregard the hyperbolic statements. I myself must travel to Portland to see many music acts, comedians, etc. that we don't see in Bend because we are a town of 80k.

----

@Us2add3: I'd live somewhere on the Westside of town. The homes are much more expensive, but you'll have more locally owned stores, bakeries, coffee shops, etc. Plus, you'll be within biking distance to downtown without many 'major' roads. The Eastside of town is still amazing and honestly, depending on where you live, many Eastside homes have better views. The only draw back is you're closer to major roads and big box stores i.e. lack of culture if you choose to define culture as I do.

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-19-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM

I lived in Bend from '06 to '09. I was really sad to go, and I did it only for financial survival. Unemployment was around 17% then, and I was part of that 17%. Bend's economy seems to be more volatile than the rest of Oregon's.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 PM

46 posts, read 406,118 times
We appreciate the information.

I understand Bend is a tourist town, but, is it too overwhelming?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Bend is a tourist town, but you can definitely feel at home, too. There is a lot of room for everyone.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
----

@pdxMIKEpdx: It behooves you to sit high on your hill with your culturally rich Portland looking down at Bend.
To me, Portland is how you describe Bend. A mono-culture & a big suburb, but without the abundance of extreme outdoors at your fingertips.
High on hill looking down at Bend?
Mono-culture?
No abundance of extreme outdoors at my fingertips?

Don't know what you are trying to get at here, but it's clear from your statements that you don't know much about Portland.
And I don't look down at Bend, I really don't care either way.

I glad you enjoy it though!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,693,431 times
I wouldn't necessarily define Bend as a town big enough to have true culture, but it does offer something more than the typical eastern Oregon town. Downtown and the west side are the "cool" parts of town. However, I don't think you need to live on the westside of town to experience this. In my opinion, the westside tends to also carry a bit of pretentiousness as well as more tourists. I enjoy my mid town location. I have a bigger yard than most small "craftsman" style homes on the west side can offer, I can garden, and most of all my mortgage is cheaper than any 2 bedroom dump offered on the west side, just because of the location.

Bend is a great place to live, but like others have said, unless you are really into outdoor sports, you may find yourself bored with it. The economy tanked and the few opportunities for a "cultural" experience have gone out the door with it. I've only lived in Bend for 2 years, so not long enough to know where it came from, but longer than others that have posted about how great Bend is on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend