Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM

150 posts, read 799,470 times

Advertisements

We moved to Ashland about six months ago and while we quite like it here, I am feeling that down the road we may find it a bit small for us. Does anybody have any information on living in Bend, Oregon? It seems to be a bit bigger than Ashland and quite the growing community. I'd be interested in comments, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,856 times
Hi ExNYC,
My mom/stepdad are in the process of moving to Bend. - my Stepdads been there for about a year now. They dearly love it. Its definatly a growing town, something like the 3fastest growth in the nation last i heard! Housing prices can be outragous! But, you can find some good deals, especially if you are willing to look a bit further out. From what I hear (dear ole mom) there are some very good opportunities for people with some skill/experience and looking for work. More "qualified, upper level" jobs from what she says. - I believe that is due to many of the people moving to Bend are retirees w/lots of $$, or people who have come from out of state and have sold their house/land for a good sum and are able to live w/o working now here in Oregon. Its definaly a growing place w/tons to do. Maybe not so much compared to New York though, lol. Can you take some time and go visit there? Currently, theres not any snow IN Bend, but up on MtBachlor, plenty! My kids just came home yesterday after spendin almost a week there. THEY found enough to do, as do my folks.
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,059,559 times
I love it over in Bend...

But it has sure changed in the last few years. Some long time residents are being forced out of their homes because the cost of living has gone up. The housing is way over priced in my opinion.

My husband and I almost relocated there when we first got married, but I am glad we didn't now. But if you have a good job and can afford the housing and prices over there I would say go for it because it is a nice place

Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM

852 posts, read 3,816,583 times
Bend has more people than Ashland, but Ashland, with its high levels of culture, seems like a bigger-city place than Bend. The four-year college in Ashland makes a difference as well. Corvallis is bigger, and the suburbs of Portland are growing.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,856 times
I thought maybe those who are interested in Bend might be interested in this article too. -
Tiff
PS - just a BTW, my mom/stepdad are both professionals w/very specific jobs that have enabled them to make their move to their dream of Bend. Believe me, its been a LONG time coming. My poor stepdad has been there for well over a year, in a trailer at a park, while my mom has been waiting for a job opening for her (that just came through last month Merry Christmas to her!! Anyhow, they're both making more than they did in Portland for the same jobs, thats why I said, if you have some good skills, there ARE jobs out there....hey, you could even be a luxury car salesperson.
Tiff

Market for high-end cars is booming in Bend

BEND, Ore. - The luxury second-home market is in full bloom in this fast-growing Central Oregon city, and the region's car dealers are hot on its heels.

Three major German car companies have opened up or expanded in the city, and industry watchers are predicting more growth in the industry, especially as higher-end brands start churning out sport utility vehicles that are popular in outdoor tourism centers like Bend.

A local car company plans to open its new 14,000-square-foot BMW showroom-service building at its Bend location by February, said President Tom Anderson, seven times larger than its current building.

A report commissioned by a German car company showed Bend households with annual income of more than $250,000 are expected to increase by more than 50 percent in the next five years, Anderson added.

To accommodate the growing number of luxury- and classic-car owners in Bend, Carrera opened a 15,000-square-foot clubhouse, storage and detailing facility in February 2006.

Travis Jonas, general sales manager at another luxury brand, told The Bulletin newspaper his dealership has sold more new vehicles in the month that ended in mid-December than any other month since it opened at its current location in 2002.

"Used-car sales are good," Jonas said. "But the new-car sales are exceptional."

Despite the wealthier demographics, however, some luxury brands remain without an area dealership.

Central Oregon's high property prices and limited space for growth could limit the chances for too many new dealership to move in, Carrera's Anderson said, because a typical car lot requires plenty of space for storage.

Information from: The Bulletin, http://www.bendbulletin.com

Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Bend has more people than Ashland, but Ashland, with its high levels of culture, seems like a bigger-city place than Bend.
If there were nothing in the area but Ashland, it would feel small. But the whole RRV corridor from Emigrant Lake to Grants Pass...for better or for worse...is well on its way to becoming one long urbanized valley with a population of well over 100,000. Bend not only feels smaller, but the isolation factor is more pronounced there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend