Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:31 AM

16 posts, read 103,955 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Bend and have done a lot of research about the town, schools, etc, but would like to hear some real opinions from some other people who have moved there recently. We are a couple in our early forties with two grade-school age kids. Are the people friendly? Do neighbors know each other? Are parents involved in the schools? Do your teenagers / older kids feel like there's enough to do? Do you feel isolated in the winter? And what is the real story about the winter weather - I've found so much contradictory info - how much does it really snow? BTW, we're considering the NW side of town. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,680,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycwriter
We're considering a move to Bend and have done a lot of research about the town, schools, etc, but would like to hear some real opinions from some other people who have moved there recently. We are a couple in our early forties with two grade-school age kids. Are the people friendly? Do neighbors know each other? Are parents involved in the schools? Do your teenagers / older kids feel like there's enough to do? Do you feel isolated in the winter? And what is the real story about the winter weather - I've found so much contradictory info - how much does it really snow? BTW, we're considering the NW side of town. Any info is greatly appreciated!
I moved away from Bend a couple of years ago but my dad still lives there. Alot of people have moved there, alot of retirees, people with money. We had kids also and honestly I loved the schools there, they were extremely helpful with our son that need special Education, as well as our other kids. We were there two winters and we only had 3inches all year. My Dad got 8 inchesthis year. It isnt bad, sometimes more sometimes less. it is a beautiful area, lots of outdoor recreation. It is the only part ofOregon I miss. The housing can get expensive, so look at redmond also. We made friends right off in our neighborhood so did our kids. Good luck, I think you will like it, better hurry though it is growing fast.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,680,349 times
Yes stick to the NW out NE is nice too, no isolation problems to much to do, dont let anyoe tell you the winters are horrible, they are not that bad, it can get cold there though!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 PM

61 posts, read 275,881 times
Bend has one of the most overvalued housing markets in the nation. It's really, really bad. I hope it just sort of slowly deflates instead of crashing.

- Chris

Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 30,639 times
HI Joycwriter, We moved to Bend 3 years ago and live in NW Bend. Truly if you love the outdoors then this is the place for you and your kids! From the west side it's less than 45 minutes up to Bachelor to the snow sports in the winter. Lakes and water sports to many to mention Sunshine and hardly any rain. It is an incredible place to raise your kids. The downside? Jobs and income, Bend has gone from a lumber mill town to another Sun Valley/ Jackson Hole town. Lots of sevice jobs but not much in the technical fiields. Be very careful to line up incomes BEFORE you make the move. When we first moved here I spent 4 months as a checker at Goodwill. I now sell Real Estate now and the market has finally started to cool off at least for the time being. Very few properties in Bend are under 275,000. Redmond is 16 miles north and more affordable. La Pine is 20 miles south and much more affordable but the 300 ft rise in elevation could mean 3 months with a foot of snow as this year was! A site I love is www.visitcentraloregon.com look under media and photo's for a great view of this country. I hope you can make the move!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM

26 posts, read 224,146 times
Bluehen,

My family is considering a move to the Bend area, but we're just moving from Vancouver. I have an opportunity for a job in Bend. Do you think there is any housing available anywhere for about $200,000? I guess I mean decent housing. I orginally thought of looking at La Pine or Prineville, but on a recent drive to Bend, realized that they are kinda far away for a daily commute to the northern part of Bend (where the job is). Also, are prices for goods and groceries higher than in the Portland/Vancouver area (if you know)?

Thank you.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:36 AM

58 posts, read 298,290 times
In all honesty, you wont find much of anything for 200k in Bend.

Store prices are similar to that of Portland.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 13,323 times
Default Life in Bend is great

We just moved here from the east coast, and we find the school system is great, there are tons of activities for kids to get involved in, the Parks and rec district has an amazing number of youth classes and events, everything from ski school to music, karate, horse and dog shows. What do your kids like to do? I'm sure it's here.

The community is active, and this summer there have been so many community events, we couldn't get to them all. Bend has just been the most welcoming place for our family. The schools really need the bond measure to pass, classes tend to be crowded because so many people have moved here and they can't keep up with the growth. But we are not parents, but will nevertheless vote yes on the bond measure. We have great neighbors, and my office has a mom who says the parents are friendly and involved in the schools.

I wish that people would drive slower so it would be safer for kids to walk and bike to school. That's my only gripe so far, we've been here 3 months.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 PM

297 posts, read 897,034 times
Default Medical facilities

Also considering Bend. Are the medical facilities reasonable ... for retirement?

Thanks ... bruce

Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,473,258 times
One of the keys to being happy in anyplace that you might choose, is that your prospective city has someoutstanding redeeming feature that helps compensate for the negatives. This came up on the Arizona forum a few months ago: if you really LOVE the desert and its climate, then that may see you through the livability negatives of the cities there.
Bend is famous for outdoor recreation and almost everyone who raves about the area puts that front and center. Mountain biking, skiing, trail running, kayaking, hiking, rock climbing...it's one of the nation's outstanding outdoor recreation meccas...Boulder, Colorado's younger sister in the Northwest.
Since you didn't highlight that aspect, joycwriter, I'm suspicious. If you aren't enthusiastic about the characteristic of Bend for which it is most reknowned, there may not be, for you, enough payoff for the negatives.
There are better places in the U.S. -- and in Oregon -- for the qualities that you've enumerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend