Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 47,808 times

Advertisements

We are a young family (4 boys under 7) that really want to move to Bend. We are now in the midwest and are looking for an active outdoor place to call home for the next maybe 25 yrs atleast. We are both self employed, she a mental health proffesional and he an arborist. Now we are both self-employed and would like to be in Bend but would take jobs in our respective field (or otherwise)if we had to. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten us on the job markets in these two industries.

Iv'e always heard that Bend would be to expensive to relocate to but it doesn't seem like that to me. Housing costs don't seem out of line. There seems to be some proffesional jobs. I wonder of you would agree with me.

Anyway Bend seems like a real gem. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Nut View Post
We are a young family (4 boys under 7) that really want to move to Bend. We are now in the midwest and are looking for an active outdoor place to call home for the next maybe 25 yrs atleast. We are both self employed, she a mental health proffesional and he an arborist. Now we are both self-employed and would like to be in Bend but would take jobs in our respective field (or otherwise)if we had to. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten us on the job markets in these two industries

Iv'e always heard that Bend would be to expensive to relocate to but it doesn't seem like that to me. Housing costs don't seem out of line. There seems to be some proffesional jobs. I wonder of you would agree with me.

Anyway Bend seems like a real gem. Thanks in advance.
Bend and the surrounding areas as I am sure you have read, have low employment opportunities. Mental health workers might find something - the VA and US Army just announced beefing up mental health care and will need to staff up, but I have no idea if Bend's small VA center would be one of the locations. Arborist? Well, maybe something with the US Forest Service, but there are always more people than jobs in that field. If you are self-employed now, maybe that would transfer here.

Along with unemployment, people have lost their homes, so real estate is much less expensive than it was a few years ago so at the moment it is a reasonable place to live if you make a good wage. There are some professional jobs, of course, but many applicants for every opening.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Bend and the surrounding areas as I am sure you have read, have low employment opportunities. Mental health workers might find something - the VA and US Army just announced beefing up mental health care and will need to staff up, but I have no idea if Bend's small VA center would be one of the locations. Arborist? Well, maybe something with the US Forest Service, but there are always more people than jobs in that field. If you are self-employed now, maybe that would transfer here.

Along with unemployment, people have lost their homes, so real estate is much less expensive than it was a few years ago so at the moment it is a reasonable place to live if you make a good wage. There are some professional jobs, of course, but many applicants for every opening.
I agree with Bendite here. Job prospects are tough. As an arborist, I doubt you will find anything with the Forest Service. They hire foresters and the like, but don't really manage individual trees, like an arborist would. There are several private tree service/arborists in town, so you might do a little research to see if they are hiring or if there is a need for more. I don't know about the outlook for the mental health industry. And, as far as professional jobs go, it just depends on the profession. Like Bendite stated, there are some, but there are also huge numbers of applicants for the few jobs available.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
I have to ask, what do you think the "Bend Lifestyle" really is? What preconceptions do you have of Bend that are influencing your move there?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 47,808 times
Family friendly, outdoorsy. The same preconceptions that everyone else has when you mention Bend, OR.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Nut View Post
Family friendly, outdoorsy. The same preconceptions that everyone else has when you mention Bend, OR.
My perception of Bend is a little Red Neck town that is bisected by a main freeway, over filled with tourists and Californian Retirees, that has grown way too fast and is now paying for it by not having any real job openings or much of an economy beyond tourism. Not to mention the weather swings from snow to "intense" heat in the seasons. I don't really find it outdoorsy any more or less then any other town in Oregon.

That's why I was asking what you're looking for.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
My perception of Bend is a little Red Neck town that is bisected by a main freeway, over filled with tourists and Californian Retirees, that has grown way too fast and is now paying for it by not having any real job openings or much of an economy beyond tourism. Not to mention the weather swings from snow to "intense" heat in the seasons. I don't really find it outdoorsy any more or less then any other town in Oregon.

That's why I was asking what you're looking for.
A former co-worker and her spouse moved from Portland to Bend about five years ago. What she had to say about it pretty much follows your comments. They wound up moving out of state back to their original home in Alabama.

You might want to take a look at this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...-not-move.html

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 PM

24 posts, read 45,874 times
We moved here a year ago and LOVE Bend and our kids love it too.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Ha. You're funny. Depends on your definition of outdoorsy, ofcourse, but I'd define it as the ease/proximity to the outdoors, no?

Where are you from? Would you like to time how long it takes you to get to downhill skiing, XC skiing, 10k mountains, river rafting, secluded trail running/mountain biking trails, rock climbing, National Forests, Wildernesses, etc. etc. etc.

I'll bet everything I own I can get to all that I've listed in the same time it'd take you to even GET to the very skirts of the Mt. Hood National Forrest.

It's not by accident outdoorsists have flocked to Bend. It has amazing access even by Oregon standards.

Your other perceptions of Bend are a bit more reasonable especially that damn freeway!

Last edited by kapetrich; 05-22-2012 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Ha. You're funny. Depends on your definition of outdoorsy, ofcourse, but I'd define it as the ease/proximity to the outdoors, no?

Where are you from?
Exactly.

I've lived in Lakeview, Klamath Falls, Coos Bay, Coquille, Newport, Astoria, Boring, Estacada, La Grande, Enterprise, Gresham, Troutdale, Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro.... and Bend. Not to mention a large number of locales that are only a name on a map, some accessible only by my own two feet or a horse.

Quote:
Would you like to time how long it takes you to get to downhill skiing, XC skiing, 10k mountains, river rafting, secluded trail running/mountain biking trails, rock climbing, National Forests, Wildernesses, etc. etc. etc.
15 minutes to three hours depending on the exact activity and which of the multiple location choice I'd like to go to.

Of course the real question is, do I care about a few of those items enough in the first place that I'd give up my very well paying job for a large Portland area firm to live nearer to those activities?

Quote:
I'll bet everything I own I can get to all that I've listed in the same time it'd take you to even GET to the very skirts of the Mt. Hood National Forrest.
Here are questions for you. How close are you to 5 or even 4 Star Restaurants? How many options do you have locally to go buy the equipment that you need for any of those activities? How close are you to the coast? How close are you to a major airport? How easy is it for you to use back roads to avoid traffic jams that don't go 20 miles out of your way? How close are you to local farmers, produce stands, and farmer's markets with dozens of local farmers? How about choices in theaters such as Cinetopia, Dollar Nights, Second Runs, Classic movies, Independent movies, food, pizza, beer, wine served to your seat in the theater with a table to eat off of? Good book stores? World Class chefs? An abundance of food carts open 24/7? Museums, Art Museums, History Museums? Deep Sea Fishing? Whale Watching? Year round camping options? A lively social scene with plenty of dating options? Professional Soccer, Hockey, and Basketball? Symphony, Opera, Major Plays, Concerts, theater, small local up and coming musicians? Surfing? Peruvian, Mexican, Japanese Hibachi, Sushi, Steak, Cuban, English, French, Thai, Asian-Fusion. Southern, Texas, and Carolina BBQ? Vegan, Vegetarian, Deserts, Fine Dining, Dive Bars? Chicago, New York, Wood Fired and Boston Style Pizza? German, Scottish, Hungarian, African? Fish houses and seafood shacks with fresh caught Salmon, crabs, oysters and trout? Home made hot dogs, Polish Sausages, Deer/Elk/Buffalo Dogs, Chicago Style, Philly Style, New York style and DIY? Air Museums? water parks? Back roads that pass through scenic little towns that frequently have a festival of some sort going on the weekends in the summer? Colleges choices for continuing education, adult education or recreational education classes?

And most of all, GOOD jobs that are fairly resilient to the economy and not based mostly on tourism or construction? Such as high end technology, graphic design, manufacturing, banking, business, green/Environmental industries?

If all you care about is outdoorsy things, especially those related to snow, then I grant that Bend is the place to live. But if your tastes expand a bit beyond that, then Bend, for that matter, most of Oregon is a dead-end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend