Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 07:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Water in Bend? At this point, the city of Bend is just taking water away from the farmers, regardless of grandfathered water rights.

Water in Bend is fairly unique in that the snow melts and does not run down in rivers, it sinks down through the volcanic soil and comes out lower in springs, or simply goes into the water table to be pumped out.

And yes, there is fighting over water and there most likely isn't enough water to support the growth of the Bend area. Its desert and not enough water to support hundreds of thousands of people and all the water hog breweries that the government is encouraging to set up in the Bend area.
I had a dream for a couple of hours about retiring to Bend. But, I want to stay where there's water. And, the bottom line with the weather is that it sounds like if you are not a skier it may be better to sit tight in the Portland metro area. I am hobbled from an accident and it's not like I can completely take advantage of the great outdoors (though it's part of the reason I landed here in 2002 (and then things happened and changed)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 07:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Water in Bend? At this point, the city of Bend is just taking water away from the farmers, regardless of grandfathered water rights.

Water in Bend is fairly unique in that the snow melts and does not run down in rivers, it sinks down through the volcanic soil and comes out lower in springs, or simply goes into the water table to be pumped out.

And yes, there is fighting over water and there most likely isn't enough water to support the growth of the Bend area. Its desert and not enough water to support hundreds of thousands of people and all the water hog breweries that the government is encouraging to set up in the Bend area.
Why is the government encouraging that?

Old 10-10-2023, 08:00 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Honestly, the cost of living.

It will keep going up. Oregon is somewhat of a "resort state" at this point in time.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:40 AM

811 posts, read 1,060,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I am really curious about the weather in Bend. I know how radically the weather has changed NW of Portland (and Portland Metro Area in general).

I am wondering about their water source and how secure that is (since the Willamette Valley has the big rivers). I am thinking long term to the next 20-25 years.

Curious about Bend as a retirement move from Portland Metro in 5-7 years.

Bumping the thread to see if we can get some updated opinions.

Bend has an Urban Growth Boundary system where they do extremely high density housing within the boundary, and then just continually expand that boundary.

The greater Bend area has found a workaround to the limits on expansion by calling high density housing "resorts", and plopping in "resorts" of 3000-5000 houses which are larger than the population of the town of Sisters. They compound the problem of the resort by putting in multiple golf courses and artificial lakes that consume more groundwater than the breweries. There seem to be no limits to the number of "resorts" that can be put in, due to the people in power being deep in the pockets of the developers or are developers themselves.

They plop down these thirsty "resorts" right next to areas that are already running their wells dry. So yes, water will be an issue going forward.

Bend's attraction is really the outdoor sports. I don't understand people that move into the area that are not interested in that aspect. Problem is, most people are interested and now the outdoor opportunities are getting so crowded that you literally need to make reservations in advance, if you are lucky, to go on most nearby hikes. Basically you can't find parking at most outdoor sports locations anymore.

Bend is being crushed by its own success, sadly.

Old 10-10-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Bend has an Urban Growth Boundary system where they do extremely high density housing within the boundary, and then just continually expand that boundary.

The greater Bend area has found a workaround to the limits on expansion by calling high density housing "resorts", and plopping in "resorts" of 3000-5000 houses which are larger than the population of the town of Sisters. They compound the problem of the resort by putting in multiple golf courses and artificial lakes that consume more groundwater than the breweries. There seem to be no limits to the number of "resorts" that can be put in, due to the people in power being deep in the pockets of the developers or are developers themselves.

They plop down these thirsty "resorts" right next to areas that are already running their wells dry. So yes, water will be an issue going forward.

Bend's attraction is really the outdoor sports. I don't understand people that move into the area that are not interested in that aspect. Problem is, most people are interested and now the outdoor opportunities are getting so crowded that you literally need to make reservations in advance, if you are lucky, to go on most nearby hikes. Basically you can't find parking at most outdoor sports locations anymore.

Bend is being crushed by its own success, sadly.

There are some similarities with the Portland Metro area's expansion in terms of it's getting crowded and pricey.

I am afraid that making a move would be a mistake. Staying an a house you have owned 20+ years seems like the conservative answer. Friends of a friend had a vacation house in Bend. They discovered they barely used it (even after they retired). So, they sold it and bought a bigger, nicer house than the one they had close in. But, they are both engineers and can afford to make expensive mistakes. Most of us cannot afford a mistake. The draw for me would be more sunshine in retirement (but, it has gotten hotter, drier and sunnier right where I am and it sounds like that aspect has been exaggerated for Bend).

Thanks for your response

Old 10-10-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Honestly, the cost of living.

It will keep going up. Oregon is somewhat of a "resort state" at this point in time.

I know what you mean, but, there are actually well paying jobs in Oregon. When I moved here it was the bargain west coast / semi-coastal option.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:25 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
One or two. Anything more than that attracts Californians.
My wife and I are in town visiting my family in Bend for Christmas. Went shopping downtown on Saturday. Was looking for men’s clothing at a store called Revolver (great clothing store btw). I’m walking around and one of the employees walks up and asks me if I’d like to enjoy a beer while I was shopping. I sad absolutely! How cool is this?

The beer was terrific! Asked where it came from and she said Bend Brewery which was a few blocks away. Walked there for lunch and it was terrific! Good marketing tactic giving away free beer at the clothing store. Bend Brewery was filled with Cali types. But live in Seattle and Cali types are fun compared to Seattle folk. Everyone was sitting outside enjoying good beer and sunshine. Super fun experience and we enjoyed chit chatting with other patrons there.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:58 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,990,451 times
I'm a Californian, but I'd rather live on the wet side of Oregon than the dry side.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:49 AM

33,324 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I'm a Californian, but I'd rather live on the wet side of Oregon than the dry side.
I'd rather live across the river in Vancouver, Camas, etc.

If I had to live in Oregon, I'd probably pick Lake Oswego or some town on the coast.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:42 PM

330 posts, read 428,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
why? I'm just the opposite because I NEED more sun this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend