Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,405 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I have three children and we live in Hopkinton, MA. My husband is originally from OR, and we visited Bend for the second time last summer. We loved it!

My question is: Am I nuts to be considering a move to Bend when my entire family is within driving distance of our current home, we both have good jobs, and we live in a great neighborhood? I have an opportunity to have my company move us out there to take a transfer to another part of the company (in CA, I'd have to commute for about 3 days every 3 weeks).

Bottom line, we have no strong reason to move other than we both just loved the climate and scenery. I'd love some input from folks who may have considered similar decisions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,039,733 times
My wife and I have discussed living locations before for ourselves, in-light of relatives.

We concluded that if we settled in an area because relatives are there, it could all change in no time at all. It happened to my friends and their family too.

So we decided to move north (again) because we like it, and not so much because family is there or not. We did want to be in an area that was easy for family to travel too - easy near Portland and suburbs.

Your family would probably enjoy the excuse or reason to travel to Bend. Some of them may be right behind you if you come out.

Are you good at making new friends

Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM

28 posts, read 370,607 times
stewarm1,

You should check out the thread titled, "Moving away from family??" in the general forum under Parenting. It may give you more food for thought.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,861,887 times
With small children, I'd think twice about moving away from family. (Depending on your family relations, of course.) Are you prepared to see relatives only a couple times a year, if that?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 AM

Thanks so much for your insight! I agree with you. I'm just not sure about "messing with success" when our jobs here are good, we love our neighborhood and it's more a matter of climate. One thing we're thinking of is just purchasing some land out there and retiring there later.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM

268 posts, read 1,195,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarm1 View Post
Hi, My husband and I have three children and we live in Hopkinton, MA. My husband is originally from OR, and we visited Bend for the second time last summer. We loved it!

My question is: Am I nuts to be considering a move to Bend when my entire family is within driving distance of our current home, we both have good jobs, and we live in a great neighborhood? I have an opportunity to have my company move us out there to take a transfer to another part of the company (in CA, I'd have to commute for about 3 days every 3 weeks).

Bottom line, we have no strong reason to move other than we both just loved the climate and scenery. I'd love some input from folks who may have considered similar decisions.

Thanks!
We're moving from the midwest to Portland in 8 days! We're leaving many family members, friends and an amazing school district (one of our kids has a disability) and supports but we absolutely love it out there and don't want any regrets. You can always move back!! Also, my parents chose this city, not me! So my advice to you would be to go for it!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the feedback and wish you the best with your move!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 AM

642 posts, read 3,075,933 times
You must be in the middle of your move right now!! Please let us all know how it went and also how your introduction to the new home, area, and city are turning out for you. That is always the best to hear the thoughts connected to fresh eyes. Can't wait to hear. Pictures please--LOL. Actually strike that if that is pressure. I am sure you have more then enough on your plate. Hope all went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
We're moving from the midwest to Portland in 8 days! We're leaving many family members, friends and an amazing school district (one of our kids has a disability) and supports but we absolutely love it out there and don't want any regrets. You can always move back!! Also, my parents chose this city, not me! So my advice to you would be to go for it!

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 07-14-2007 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: added a few rebellious Rs and Ls.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM

675 posts, read 2,687,596 times
stewarm1, i just happend upon your post. My In-Laws have just moved to Bend, and are trying to convice my huband and I, along with our two kids, to move there from Southborough, MA. Small world. I was hoping to gleen some more info on Bend here. Have you decided to make the move?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi, 2KidsforMe!

Sorry to take so long to reply. We were on vacation. We haven't decided yet, mostly because I'm dragging my feet and want to try to go out one more time before I raise the subject with my boss. Once I raise it I'm afraid I can't go back. We have heard from a realtor we know out there that the Summit HS school district is the best one, which might be useful info for you. Have you ever been to Bend? It's an amazing place. I'm just a chicken about making big changes. That said, I think I'm moving in the Bend direction because it would allow me to work from home and be with my kids probably 3 out of 4 weeks a month, which would be great. Would love to chat more, especially since you and I both know our current area and how much it has to offer!

Best,

Stewarm1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend