Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 43,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojos123 View Post
10 Reasons to NOT move to Bend (by someone who has, unfortunately and reluctantly, lived here for 25 years)

1. We do NOT have over 300 sunny days per year. This is a fallacy created by over zealous marketing campaigns designed to get people to move/vacation/retire here.
2. Winters are LOOOOONNNNNG and seem to be never ending.
3. Bend is NOT a liberal or even remotely open minded town, despite the "look" of people. Sadly, it is still a very closed minded, left leaning, rednecky, town.
4. There is very little culture here and certainly no college/university scene to speak of, although they are trying in that regard. In college, we lived for a time in another city, and it was great to have music, theater, art, culture, and more diversity.
5. Bend is NOT diverse at all. It is not culturally diverse. It is not religiously diverse. It is certainly not ethnically diverse. It is not politically diverse.
6. There is a true lack of job opportunities here. If you are lucky enough to win out a job out of hundreds of other over qualified applicants, and actually secure a job, expect to be paid at a minimum of 30-40% less than other parts of Oregon. Also, if you have children/teens, they will have an especially hard time finding work. Our son is still trying for 2 years to get his first job.
7. It is very, very dry. Some people like this, but beware that your eyes will burn, and your skin will crack and peel...especially in the summer.
8. If you have asthma, like I do, beware! There are forest fires BAD! Also, if you live south of town near Deschutes RIver Woods, be prepared for all the neighbors to sit outside every day and burn the 15 foot piles of wood debris and pine needles! You can't breathe. In the winter you get the blanket of smoke from the wood stoves that stays trapped in the air. Plan on being on steroid inhalers year round.
9. It is very remote. If you need a major medical center, or want to go to an actual mall, or major concert, etc., you will need to drive at least 2 1/2 hours to salem, or 3 hours to Portland. We do have a great venue here for conccerts, but unfortunately, the city has gone along with all the nitpicking residents, so now the concerts have to have a sound maximum and can't go past 10pm. therefore, a lot of really-truly great artists refuse to come here...and it's just getting worse.
10. The outdoor seasonal festivals (3 of which are so freaking cold that you can barely stand to go) are now at the Old Mill, and are charging to go to??? I don't understand that? What happened to the downtown venues that were free??

Now...I know you are all well aware, that I don't like bend...and i don't like that I have to live here at this time in my life, and that I will be moving just as soon as I get a chance. And please...people...don't bash on my list as I am just responding to someone who asked. But...i will throw out a few positives, as even though i don't like it here, there are some positives and some realities and some advice.

1. Bend is a fairly dog friendly town, in that there is a lot of people here with dogs.
2. Summers are nice..albeit hot and dry...but you do get about 3 months of nice weather here.
3. There are great places to go fishing and camping and hiking...just wish there was longer, nicer weather to enjoy it.
4. There are some really great schools in town. particularly on the westside for elementary; however, I do NOT recommend Summit High for high school.
5. There is a scene here of people wanting to make some changes, and there seem to be some up and coming more liberal thinking folks...which is a very good thing.
6. There are some very talented local musicians.
7. If you like beer, you will be in heaven.

It is TRUE that Bend is EXTREMELY difficult in terms of finding viable employment. I was very bitter. This was my home town--the place I loved--the place of my youth. I spent countless hours/days here walking undiscovered trails, creating secret spots on the river and lakes, growing into an adult, and loving my town. My father moved us there when I was 12, when there were only 20,000 people and it was considered a "hick" town by Albany, Oregon standards. It grew and grew on me and I was a part of it. But, something changed...people came, they brought new ideas, they discovered the beauty and told their friends. People kept coming. They brought good chances, but they also brought an attitude of entitlement, and "I'm better than you". My dad was a millworker. We didn't live in California and sell a mcmansion, then move to Bend and put cash down for a house--no, we put in our time here. He grew with our town, but we were forced out. So there lies my bitterness. I went to college to be a teacher and came home to Bend prepared to educated youth in my hometown, but after 11 years of trying to find a job, I finally had to leave my town. I moved to the east coast in a suburb of Washington, D.C. It wasn't until finally experiencing another place, a bigger place that I realized what all those people coming to our tiny mountain town were running from. Where I live now is truly, truly hell compared to Bend. I did find an amazing job, which I am so grateful for, but it's just not home. I still apply to jobs in Bend every week, but haven't gotten one response. So there's my update. I am sorry I was so spiteful about Bend...I was just bitter and angry. I felt pushed out of something that belonged to me and to my family. I was resentful. If I could find a job in Bend, I would come home in a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 04:54 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojos123 View Post
It is TRUE that Bend is EXTREMELY difficult in terms of finding viable employment. I was very bitter. This was my home town--the place I loved--the place of my youth. I spent countless hours/days here walking undiscovered trails, creating secret spots on the river and lakes, growing into an adult, and loving my town. My father moved us there when I was 12, when there were only 20,000 people and it was considered a "hick" town by Albany, Oregon standards. It grew and grew on me and I was a part of it. But, something changed...people came, they brought new ideas, they discovered the beauty and told their friends. People kept coming. They brought good chances, but they also brought an attitude of entitlement, and "I'm better than you". My dad was a millworker. We didn't live in California and sell a mcmansion, then move to Bend and put cash down for a house--no, we put in our time here. He grew with our town, but we were forced out. So there lies my bitterness. I went to college to be a teacher and came home to Bend prepared to educated youth in my hometown, but after 11 years of trying to find a job, I finally had to leave my town. I moved to the east coast in a suburb of Washington, D.C. It wasn't until finally experiencing another place, a bigger place that I realized what all those people coming to our tiny mountain town were running from. Where I live now is truly, truly hell compared to Bend. I did find an amazing job, which I am so grateful for, but it's just not home. I still apply to jobs in Bend every week, but haven't gotten one response. So there's my update. I am sorry I was so spiteful about Bend...I was just bitter and angry. I felt pushed out of something that belonged to me and to my family. I was resentful. If I could find a job in Bend, I would come home in a second.
Lots of truth here.

Have you considered Redmond/Prineville/La Pine? Housing is a lot cheaper (although Redmond is rapidly increasing). Jobs are a problem across Central Oregon though.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,050 times
Listen, the women in Bend are beasts. Tattoos, love to eat and drink, fat or in danger of becoming fat...if you are single, stay the hell away. Same if you are a chick. The dudes here are friendzoned white knights who lost their dignity a long time ago. Unless you want free attention and drinks. Then Bend is the perfect place for a chick to move to, not get a living wage, and still be able to eat out and drink everyday of the week.

Yeah, I get it. You're married. Why does this matter to you? Because one day you will realize you either a) hate your wife, or b) are bored. When that day comes, you will remember my warning. There isn't a good selection. But you will most likely be thirsty by that time, so you won't give a ****. And even then, it is a small town, so word gets around. Seriously take this into consideration. Do you want to lose your marriage, kids, alimony, and pay child support because you were forced to have an affair with a loud mouthed, fat beast?

As far as the "outdoor" life, it is an illusion. You have about 3 month out of the year to do outdoor stuff, and even then everybody would rather go drink and get fat at the bars. The only people here who do the outdoor thing are people who have had a midlife crisis and decided to make a change. So the people you will meet out climbing, biking, or hiking are mid-aged, grey haired molls or upper mid-class men who think they still "got it".

Listen, Bend is a good place to move to if you are a doctor with a family. You can still get property on the cheap compared to other parts of the country, and you will work for one of the largest employers in central Oregon. Other than that, move to Thailand and retire.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:55 AM

285 posts, read 377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Listen, the women in Bend are beasts. Tattoos, love to eat and drink, fat or in danger of becoming fat...if you are single, stay the hell away. Same if you are a chick. The dudes here are friendzoned white knights who lost their dignity a long time ago. Unless you want free attention and drinks. Then Bend is the perfect place for a chick to move to, not get a living wage, and still be able to eat out and drink everyday of the week.

Yeah, I get it. You're married. Why does this matter to you? Because one day you will realize you either a) hate your wife, or b) are bored. When that day comes, you will remember my warning. There isn't a good selection. But you will most likely be thirsty by that time, so you won't give a ****. And even then, it is a small town, so word gets around. Seriously take this into consideration. Do you want to lose your marriage, kids, alimony, and pay child support because you were forced to have an affair with a loud mouthed, fat beast?

As far as the "outdoor" life, it is an illusion. You have about 3 month out of the year to do outdoor stuff, and even then everybody would rather go drink and get fat at the bars. The only people here who do the outdoor thing are people who have had a midlife crisis and decided to make a change. So the people you will meet out climbing, biking, or hiking are mid-aged, grey haired molls or upper mid-class men who think they still "got it".

Listen, Bend is a good place to move to if you are a doctor with a family. You can still get property on the cheap compared to other parts of the country, and you will work for one of the largest employers in central Oregon. Other than that, move to Thailand and retire.
Reno, this way too, but not nearly to the extent that you describe, due to the university influence and growing upper middle class suburban communities in the south meadows and NE sparks, far NW Reno. Plus, Reno, is bringing in jobs with Tesla and others.

Truckee, and the north shore of lake Tahoe, along with Incline Village, offer great outdoor activities, NO crime, IT techies, and folks that commute 40 minutes to Reno.

I call Truckee, yuppie Truckee. Great schools and medical care. Similar scenery to Bend, but the population is more highly educated.

South Lake Tahoe, stay away, METH.

So, Bend has its competitors. California and Nevada don't have statewide growth management so cities accumulate new businesses and create wealth. Not so in rural Oregon, except from Corvallis and north.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 13,892 times
Does anyone here know how the dryness of Bend compares to Durango? Not in statistics, but in actually feeling what they are both like? We are researching both areas right now, narrowing it down. We are in the high country of AZ, mountains, but very dry here too. Bend has been seeming like the perfect place for us and our horses, in nearly every way. As Durango would be too.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,332 times
I've only passed through Durango a dozen times, but it feels drier here in central Oregon - a lot less snow too.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:46 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmts View Post
Does anyone here know how the dryness of Bend compares to Durango? Not in statistics, but in actually feeling what they are both like? We are researching both areas right now, narrowing it down. We are in the high country of AZ, mountains, but very dry here too. Bend has been seeming like the perfect place for us and our horses, in nearly every way. As Durango would be too.
I used to live on the Western Slope of Colorado, in Grand Junction. Although not Durango, the climate was pretty similar. I've spent a lot of time hiking and camping in the Durango area. I'd say in terms of dryness both are pretty similar overall. Durango probably gets more snow in the winter than Bend, but it also gets a lot more sun. If you are wanting a climate similar to what you have now, Durango is going to be closer than Bend.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,618 times
1) Many People are unfriendly (especially on the Westside)
2) You would be buying at the top of the market or renting in a tight rental market
3) You like the ocean, but don't like driving 3.5 hours each way
4) Only 2 individual Health Insurance providers left in Deshutes County
5) You get cabin fever easily (Portland is 3.5 hours away)
6) You have to travel a lot (We have a nice airport, but limited non-stop routes)
7) You don't like 7 month winters
8) You have allergies (can get bad in the spring
9) You like Mexican food (not a ton of great options here. I'm talking authentic people...)
10) You don't like paying a ton in state income tax (more of an Oregon thing)

Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 AM

927 posts, read 587,227 times
No mall to walk around in to get warm in the winter if you want to walk without being cold. They used to have a mall *Mountain View* if you google it but they killed it for some strange reason and decided to place a parking strip instead where you have to freeze your buns off walking to each stupid store.

They thought they were trying to be *artsy fartsy* I can smell the fartsy but I don't get the artsy to it but then again Bend is weird that way.

The new *mall* which is just a bunch of stores outside you have to drive and drive or walk and walk in the cold which actually creates more global warming and less comfort then having a small mall that has easy access to everything you need and you can rest without being exposed to the elements. Not to mention park in one spot.

Outdoor malls work in places like Los Angeles where cold temps is all but a few days in length in which you don't shop those days but points north of San Francisco is a bit too much.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I used to live on the Western Slope of Colorado, in Grand Junction. Although not Durango, the climate was pretty similar. I've spent a lot of time hiking and camping in the Durango area. I'd say in terms of dryness both are pretty similar overall. Durango probably gets more snow in the winter than Bend, but it also gets a lot more sun. If you are wanting a climate similar to what you have now, Durango is going to be closer than Bend.
I live in Grand Junction. We just did a 12 day road trip through central and eastern Oregon. We went first to Klamath Falls because we were visiting Crater Lake for a few days. K Falls looks like it's hit rough times.

We really wanted to check out Bend as a possible place to move to someday. To see if it was a Maybe or a No. We'd heard great things about the bike path system in town and how it was an outdoorsy town. We did ride the bike paths and we were disappointed. It was a jumble of paths, many of which were not good to ride a bike on. We had a map of the paths on our phone GPS and it was still hard to find our way around them. There seemed to be little effort to get people out of cars and walking and biking. A person we met there said that people who walked were looked down upon as poor. Traffic was bad. Worse than Grand Junction's traffic. People I see posting here, and people we talked to in Oregon said how bad the job market is there and how hard it is to make a living. So Bend was a NO. We still like Grand Junction better.

We took a look at Prineville and Baker City. They seemed like nice little towns, but probably no jobs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend