Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,288 times

Advertisements

I'm exploring a new job in Bend, OR. We live in a great town now (Davis, CA), but are wondering if Bend might be a good fit also. We're a young couple (early 30s) with a toddler.
Has anyone moved from Davis, CA to Bend, OR or vise versa? Or has anyone had experience with both places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
I've been to both and I'd take Bend over Davis anyday for quality of living.

However there's one big consideration you should think through. Davis is surrounded by many other cities and should offer many more employement options in the event of a job loss.

There's really not much arund Bend and it has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country. If a new job doesn't work out then your alternate choices will be severly limited.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisca View Post
I'm exploring a new job in Bend, OR. We live in a great town now (Davis, CA), but are wondering if Bend might be a good fit also. We're a young couple (early 30s) with a toddler.
Has anyone moved from Davis, CA to Bend, OR or vise versa? Or has anyone had experience with both places?
I live in Davis and have had my eye on Bend for about 3 years as a place to semi-retire to (I would be taking my job with me via telecommuting).

The house prices in Bend have tanked during the time I've been looking, so in terms of cost of living, it beats Davis hands down. And I love the outdoor recreation in Bend. Here you have to drive a ways to get anywhere like the Sierra, and the traffic on weekends going and coming can be a bear. In Bend you can be out hiking or biking much quicker, with fewer people competing for space on the trails.

However, the horrible economy and very long winters are giving me pause about moving there. I think the summers might be too short for me and the winters too harsh. But that's just me, and I'm still debating that issue with myself.

The economy in Bend is so dire that I fear the impact on the town in the way of reduced tax revenue, small businesses closing, etc., may negatively affect the quality of life there.

If you like the cold winters and snow, and have a job offer there, it might work spectacularly for you.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,288 times
My position would be grant funded for the 1st 5 yrs, so we're not too concerned about job loss, at least for the first 5 yrs. We used to live in a place that had much more differentiated seasons, so winter would be ok. To be honest, we actually miss the snow some. The impact of the economy upon the businesses is something we've talked about (i.e.- quality of life).

Here are two additional questions:
1) Would you say Bend is as family-friendly as Davis? Davis seems to be set up for families w/ young kids. Is Bend considered a good location for young families?
2) How easy is it to get around Bend? Is biking a common mode of transportation?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
www.bendneighborhoods.org/..../f/7-6-09_ProtectWestNile.pdf

I'd check out the mosquito situation there before deciding to move.

Kate

Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I'd check out the mosquito situation there before deciding to move.
Of all the reasons NOT to move to Bend, mosquitoes would be incredibly low on the list.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
My position would be grant funded for the 1st 5 yrs, so we're not too concerned about job loss, at least for the first 5 yrs. We used to live in a place that had much more differentiated seasons, so winter would be ok. To be honest, we actually miss the snow some. The impact of the economy upon the businesses is something we've talked about (i.e.- quality of life).

1) Would you say Bend is as family-friendly as Davis? Davis seems to be set up for families w/ young kids. Is Bend considered a good location for young families?
2) How easy is it to get around Bend? Is biking a common mode of transportation?
I've never been to Davis, so I can't compare. However, Bend seems to be very family friendly. I don't have kids myself, but when my 2 year old nephew visited earlier this year we found plenty to do. There is a children's museum (small, but nice to have for a small town), the High Desert Museum, which has wildlife and art/history exhibits, Juniper Fitness with several pools, a family fun center, and of course tons of hiking trails and lakes for swimming. My husband & I just moved here last July and absolutely love it. We plan on staying here to raise a family.

Biking is a very common mode of transportation in Bend. You can easily get around on two wheels without a problem. The west side of town is definitely a bit easier to get around by bike than the east side, mostly because the neighborhoods are more walkable than the east side (which is a little more suburban, but also more affordable).

Overall, I think local business will still hurt in this economy, but there is light! We have had several new restaurants and boutiques open this summer. Bend is tourism driven, so when the economy is great, Bend is booming. Right now, Bend is struggling a little, but if you have a job, it's a great place to be!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Default mosquitoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Of all the reasons NOT to move to Bend, mosquitoes would be incredibly low on the list.
Mosquitoes love me. Just remembered reading about the mosquito festival that one of the little towns on the way to Bend have annually & looked up a link about these varmints to add to this thread (my previous post).

Some of us do have mosquitoes on our priority list! I admit it may be overkill on part, this time...

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Mosquitoes love me. Just remembered reading about the mosquito festival that one of the little towns on the way to Bend have annually & looked up a link about these varmints to add to this thread (my previous post).

Some of us do have mosquitoes on our priority list! I admit it may be overkill on part, this time...

The frequently soggy Willamette Valley is far worse than Bend. The problem certainly exists in the Cascades proper, especially in the spring and early summer, but not in Bend.

Because of the wet June in Central/Southern Oregon, this is a worse-than-normal year, but that's a relative term.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:

Yeah, I grew up back east and I miss the snow sometimes, myself. I like snowshoeing, etc. Just not nuts about getting snowed in, shoveling out from under it, etc., anymore. As I said, I debate it with myself. I'd be working from home so at least I wouldn't have to commute in it.

I've only visited Bend twice, for about a week each time. I really loved my visits; there's so much outdoor recreation available there. I can't really say it's set up as well for biking as Davis is, but then, where would be? People who haven't been to Davis wouldn't understand, but the OP knows what I mean. Plus that winter weather again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend