Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
My bad. I thought you were a Sixers fans? Or are you just watching Rockets games because they're on TV?

I can see the Dirk comparison but I'm tired of every 7-foot Euro with a halfway decent jumper getting compared to him when it's unlikely they'll ever be half as good as Dirk. Like Tskitishvili. Okur was pretty similar to Dirk anyway just not as fluid or skilled. Or in shape.

Greg Smith seems like he has the potential to be a pretty good garbage man PF. I'm not sure how well he would play with the elite garbage man Dwight Howard though. Kind of redundant.

Doesn't seem too smart either. Wasn't he the guy who got a 3-second call because he was tying his shoe in the lane?

I haven't watched him a whole lot though.
I am a Sixer fan - but really, they are off the radar right now. Yes - all Rockets games are on TV for me.

Agree w/ the Dirk statement - but who else is there that is a known commodity?

Yes on Smith tying shoes in the lane. They do need to find a #4 that has some perimeter capability. Motiejunas would fit the bill if his game was more well rounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Anyone think Omer Asik is a better fit for the Rockets than D12 will ever be?
Yes - I stated this about 3 weeks ago. Asik is low maintenance, hard worker, no major prior injuries, excellent defender/rebounder... He is not a low post threat however.

You know who would work well with Asik... Luis Scola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
This guy is extremely overrated.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Rockets missed out on smith but they did get an overrated caspi.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
I can see the Dirk comparison but I'm tired of every 7-foot Euro with a halfway decent jumper getting compared to him when it's unlikely they'll ever be half as good as Dirk. Like Tskitishvili. Okur was pretty similar to Dirk anyway just not as fluid or skilled. Or in shape.

Greg Smith seems like he has the potential to be a pretty good garbage man PF. I'm not sure how well he would play with the elite garbage man Dwight Howard though. Kind of redundant.
True enough. I would be glad if Donuts became another Memo and stuck treys all day. Maybe Thomas Robinson or Terrence Jones becomes that inside presence along with Dwight. I know T Jones can hang around the arc, too. Could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Anyone think Omer Asik is a better fit for the Rockets than D12 will ever be?
Uh...no. He has two let feet on offense. I like Omer, but he's a rebounder and that's about it. He's progressed, but...if D12 gets his act together, it's no contest. He opens up the perimeter in ways Omer will never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I'll hold my judgement and my tongue for a half a season or more I think, but I will say, I'm not sure how Howard/harden interact, as their games don't mesh IMO.
I have obvious reasons to be skeptical, but how so do they not mesh.??? You have to double D12 now and that leave harden open a lot more now. With Asik, Harden was mainly a double-teamed iso play away from throwing the game away in the late moments.

Quote:
I put them at 3rd in the West right now behind OKC and San Antonio.

Parker and Westbrook can abuse Lin on defense. Perkins and Duncan can guard Howard pretty effectively, pushing him away from the basket. And in the 4th quarter Howard won't be seeing the ball. Leonard and Durant can guard Harden or Parsons very well.

Josh Smith is a bad idea.

They're definitely legit contenders now though.
Westbrook and Parker will abuse Lin, but they can be funneled to D12 now. He'd clean that mess up. Smith is a bad deal, but that's Detroit's problem now. OKC is trying to shed Perkins. He won't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know who would work well with Asik... Luis Scola.
Oddly enough, yes. The Rockets have three guys and in the stable who need to grow up. Now, four it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Rockets missed out on smith but they did get an overrated caspi.
Huh? Last I checked, to be overrated, someone has to think highly of you. As in so highly that someone is disappointed in return. I see no way someone thought that highly of Omri Casspi.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times

pretty impressive photoshop

Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

Omri Casspi was a baller when he was on the Kings. I didn't see too much of him when he was on the Cavs though.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
True enough. I would be glad if Donuts became another Memo and stuck treys all day. Maybe Thomas Robinson or Terrence Jones becomes that inside presence along with Dwight. I know T Jones can hang around the arc, too. Could be interesting.
Robinson is a Blazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Uh...no. He has two let feet on offense. I like Omer, but he's a rebounder and that's about it. He's progressed, but...if D12 gets his act together, it's no contest. He opens up the perimeter in ways Omer will never do.
In general, I agree - but the way the offense had been structured was run and gun - which does not fit Howard. However, Delfino and Garcia are gone. They either need to get more shooting or change what they do on offense. McHale's coaching skills will now be highlighted.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

In general, I agree - but the way the offense had been structured was run and gun - which does not fit Howard. However, Delfino and Garcia are gone. They either need to get more shooting or change what they do on offense. McHale's coaching skills will now be highlighted.
They resigned Garcia.

Reports: Francisco Garcia agrees to two-year deal with Houston - CBSSports.com

Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
They need to sign Josh Smith. It's taking too long.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They need to sign Josh Smith. It's taking too long.

Josh Smith signed with Detroit earlier today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball