Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,547,338 times

Advertisements

So my question is , which big time star will sign with the Lakers even with Kobe still playing on the team? I say none...i do think if Kobe retires, some big star could possibly sign with the Lakers, so it isn't really about cap space, but about Kobe willing to play behind a big young star like Lebron or Melo, etc. which he won't do. Here is a recent article.

The Lakers won't win free agency - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

The history of the Los Angeles Lakers suggests they should be able to bring aboard a major star in 2014, when they could have large salary cap space. Some members of the Lakers' management, however, have long faces.

"Within the organization there isn't a single person that believes we can bring LeBron aboard," one source close to Lakers management said.

"I don’t know if we’ll get a star player," Mitch Kupchak recently said.

Two reasons the Lakers are not in strong position to land a star is they might not have all that much cap space and Kobe Bryant has gained a reputation as a difficult reputation.

Ramon Sessions left the Lakers for the Charlotte Bobcats in free agency last offseason and sources with knowledge of his thinking say tricky Laker politics, where the blame tends to fall everywhere but with Bryant, was also on his mind.

“Pau [Gasol] is a two-time champion and a five-time All-Star and he’s one of the most disrespected players ever,” notes one agent. “He gets bad press all the time.”

When another agent was asked if he thought Bryant might be a sticking point for free agents, his immediate response: "Uh, duh. Yes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
So my question is , which big time star will sign with the Lakers even with Kobe still playing on the team? I say none...i do think if Kobe retires, some big star could possibly sign with the Lakers, so it isn't really about cap space, but about Kobe willing to play behind a big young star like Lebron or Melo, etc. which he won't do. Here is a recent article.

The Lakers won't win free agency - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

The history of the Los Angeles Lakers suggests they should be able to bring aboard a major star in 2014, when they could have large salary cap space. Some members of the Lakers' management, however, have long faces.

"Within the organization there isn't a single person that believes we can bring LeBron aboard," one source close to Lakers management said.

"I don’t know if we’ll get a star player," Mitch Kupchak recently said.

Two reasons the Lakers are not in strong position to land a star is they might not have all that much cap space and Kobe Bryant has gained a reputation as a difficult reputation.

Ramon Sessions left the Lakers for the Charlotte Bobcats in free agency last offseason and sources with knowledge of his thinking say tricky Laker politics, where the blame tends to fall everywhere but with Bryant, was also on his mind.

“Pau [Gasol] is a two-time champion and a five-time All-Star and he’s one of the most disrespected players ever,” notes one agent. “He gets bad press all the time.”

When another agent was asked if he thought Bryant might be a sticking point for free agents, his immediate response: "Uh, duh. Yes."
This is chickens coming home to roost after throwing everybody but Kobe under the bus when he has been a big part of the problem at times. The year OKC beat them in the playoffs Kobe was awful in the 4th quarter, but Bynum and Gasol got all the blame.

The irony is that if they do re-sign Kobe to a 3-5year deal after this season and can't get a bunch of help built around him....and you can bet Gasol will look to leave.....then Kobe will absolutely TORCH the Lakers management for their *failure* despite their being one of the best run teams in the NBA.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,721,264 times
It will be the Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies or Thunder in the WCF this coming season.

I too am wondering how long will Gasol stay in LA the way that things are.

The Lakers may not even make the playoffs this season if things continue to fall apart for them.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
It will be the Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies or Thunder in the WCF this coming season.

I too am wondering how long will Gasol stay in LA the way that things are.

The Lakers may not even make the playoffs this season if things continue to fall apart for them.
I can't see them making the playoffs.
They lost 2 starters and everyone else got a year older.....and that's not even touching Kobe's injury and what that means in terms of minutes\games he will play and at what level.
As much as people like to moan about Dwight, the guy averaged 17-12 with the Lakers despite injuries and was all-nba 3rd team so you don't just lose that and not see a big drop-off.

The BIG point of interest for the Lakers this season is of course, Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe.
How will he recover from injury? Will he re-sign and for how long? Will he retire? Will he play for a contender while the Lakers rebuild?

The Rockets "might" have a shot, wayyyy too early to tell how all the new pieces will fit and of course the injury bug which wrecked a lot of match-ups last year.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can't see them making the playoffs.
They lost 2 starters and everyone else got a year older.....and that's not even touching Kobe's injury and what that means in terms of minutes\games he will play and at what level.
As much as people like to moan about Dwight, the guy averaged 17-12 with the Lakers despite injuries and was all-nba 3rd team so you don't just lose that and not see a big drop-off.

The BIG point of interest for the Lakers this season is of course, Kobe Kobe Kobe Kobe.
How will he recover from injury? Will he re-sign and for how long? Will he retire? Will he play for a contender while the Lakers rebuild?

The Rockets "might" have a shot, wayyyy too early to tell how all the new pieces will fit and of course the injury bug which wrecked a lot of match-ups last year.
Yeah, Kobe is almost done as he should retire within 2 more seasons.

Dwight will definitely help the Rockets inside with his defense and rebounding despite what his haters say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball