Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I think as long as ASIK is willing to stay, the team could have a great "twin towers" combo. Gasol & Bynum got two rings out of it, Duncan and D. Robinson got two rings out of it, Nowitzki and Chandler got one ring out of it (if you count Dirk as a true big man), Glen Davis and Kendrick Perkins got one (ok, ok bad example, but they're still big men), & Hibbert & D. West got close this year...

I think having two big men finishing the game is underrated now days since everyone loves the "small ball" because of what Miami's done. I think Miami would be even better with a big man at center and Bosh at Power.
The only snafu is that now the opposition will have two people, sub 60% free throwers, to hack in the 4thQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The only snafu is that now the opposition will have two people, sub 60% free throwers, to hack in the 4thQ.
Hack-a-center doesn't really work well, it's desperation.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
The biggest downfall will be the "hack-a-xxxxxx" because that's gonna be maybe the worst free throw shooting team ever lol. It will also make Lin and harden completely ineffective on offense as well.
We shall see.

Worst case it doesn't work and Asik is worth a fortune in trade value. It's not like he'd be hard to move for a good exchange.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We shall see.

Worst case it doesn't work and Asik is worth a fortune in trade value. It's not like he'd be hard to move for a good exchange.
Oh I agree, Morey is holding on to him trying to push his value up, I think that backfires.
His value is high as a starter, if he backs up Howard and is unhappy you can pencil him in for a drop off.

As for hack-a not working, oh it works, pop has proven that. If it didn't work it wouldn't be done.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 AM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Oh I agree, Morey is holding on to him trying to push his value up, I think that backfires.
His value is high as a starter, if he backs up Howard and is unhappy you can pencil him in for a drop off.

As for hack-a not working, oh it works, pop has proven that. If it didn't work it wouldn't be done.
Well it depends on how they handle it.

I'm sure they will try to sell championship potential to Asik. If they get off to a good start and he gets at least 24 minutes of play - I think all will be well.

I the are 8-8 after a month, then it depends on how the individual parts are working - and it gets kind of dicey.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM

466 posts, read 1,626,050 times
Quote:
The biggest downfall will be the "hack-a-xxxxxx" because that's gonna be maybe the worst free throw shooting team ever lol. It will also make Lin and harden completely ineffective on offense as well.
lmao true and very possible BUT It really all depends on the system and how McHale's style plays about. Like I said earlier, Duncan & Robinson, Gasol & Bynum, Perkins & Davis, Nowitzki & Chandler etc have proven they can do it. That's 6 rings between 1999-2011. 50% of the rings in 12 years had two big men finishing the game (with Nowitzki being sort of an exception because he's a great free throw shooter, but he still played Power next to Chandler). 7 rings if you count Rasheed Wallace a "big" when he won the ring with Ben Wallace in 04'.

So Kobe, Fisher & World Peace were ineffective in 09' & 10'? Lin, Harden, & Parsons can dominate the game easily and have the two bigs play dominant defense. If McHale utilizes all of them correctly I see them in the Finals. Of course this is what everyone said of Howard & Gasol and looked what happened So it all depends on the coaching and style of play. We all know Phil or Pop can turn this new Houston team into a Finals contender EASILY.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
lmao true and very possible BUT It really all depends on the system and how McHale's style plays about. Like I said earlier, Duncan & Robinson, Gasol & Bynum, Perkins & Davis, Nowitzki & Chandler etc have proven they can do it. That's 6 rings between 1999-2011. 50% of the rings in 12 years had two big men finishing the game (with Nowitzki being sort of an exception because he's a great free throw shooter, but he still played Power next to Chandler). 7 rings if you count Rasheed Wallace a "big" when he won the ring with Ben Wallace in 04'.

So Kobe, Fisher & World Peace were ineffective in 09' & 10'? Lin, Harden, & Parsons can dominate the game easily and have the two bigs play dominant defense. If McHale utilizes all of them correctly I see them in the Finals. Of course this is what everyone said of Howard & Gasol and looked what happened So it all depends on the coaching and style of play. We all know Phil or Pop can turn this new Houston team into a Finals contender EASILY.
the big difference in all those listed "twin towers" and the one being built in houston........ every one of those teams had at least 1 of their big men who could shoot from outside of 5'. houston doesnt have that unless they play camby a whole lot. asik is a TERRIBLE shooter, and if howard cant dunk the ball from where he catches it, he can be ineffective. gasol has a nice outside shot, robinson and duncan both have/had nice outside shots, dirk is one of the best outside shooting bigs ever, perkins and davis rarely played at the same time, perkins started with KG who has what? oh yeah, AN OUTSIDE SHOT.

as to your 2nd paragraph, harden and lin are not outside shooters. harden is a 37% shooter from 3 which is average at best. he and lin are both drive to the rim type players. lin shoots 33% which is pretty bad. they need the driving lanes to be open to get their offense going.

kobe,fisher,artest can all hit that open outside shot. they are jump shooters not driving to the rim 75% of the time type players. though kobe isnt a great 3 point shooter, most of his shots come from around 15-18'.

bottom line, while their interior defense will likely be pretty good, which one is going to follow guys like sirchewbaca, or chris bosh, even tim duncan outside of the paint? asik is going to get handled by the quicker more athletic PFs in the game because he is the one who will have to follow them outside only to get blown by. or he is going to sag of and give up that 12-15' bank shot to guys like duncan, or fade aways to dirk, elbow jumpers to pau or aldridge. he will end up being a back up and will not play a ton of minutes next to howard successfully imo. they just dont have the footspeed to keep up. hell whos going to go to the 3 point line and guard matt freaking bonner? matt might just set a new nba record for 3s with asik or howard on him.

now not a lot of teams will be able to rebound against them, but to be honest as poor a free throw shooting pair, and how limited on offense asik really is, i would almost welcome that pair as a spurs fan.

you know asik averaged 7.8 ft attempts in the playoffs this year (more then double the reg season)? hack-an-asik was in full effect, he averaged 12 ppg in the playoffs with 5 of them coming off FTS, and roughly another 4+ points off offensive rebounds. thats 9+ or his 12 ppg at the line, or in the restricted area. not a lot of outside shooting going on there.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
they just dont have the footspeed to keep up. hell whos going to go to the 3 point line and guard matt freaking bonner?
well said.... and the best line when you include Bonner in any of the convo's! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Matt Freaking Bonner before, it made me literally lol.

But yes, it all depends on the opponent lineup as well as to what to do...all up to McHale...

And yes, a lot of the twin towers I listed I'd say are bad outside shooters, however, Howard and Asik are the WORSE outside shooters i'd ever seen...

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
well said.... and the best line when you include Bonner in any of the convo's! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Matt Freaking Bonner before, it made me literally lol.

But yes, it all depends on the opponent lineup as well as to what to do...all up to McHale...
hey, red mamba is DA MAN! if only for 75% of the season, and all in the 1st 3/4s at that. matt is actually a very cool guy, funny, and easy going. he runs as funny as anyone ive ever seen, but damn it man that ginger can shoot! lmao.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
hey, red mamba is DA MAN! if only for 75% of the season, and all in the 1st 3/4s at that. matt is actually a very cool guy, funny, and easy going. he runs as funny as anyone ive ever seen, but damn it man that ginger can shoot! lmao.
lmao, you could've named anyone in the league but you said Matt Bonner. I've watched a lot of his interviews (all 2/year) and yeah he's a cool guy. I wished he played more this year, but it's tough with all the other great players on the team now.

All in all I think if Asik stays and wants to stay he would be such an excellent backup. But backing up Howard means he will only get 10 mins a game, however they will have to overlap quite a bit if he is demanding 25+ mins...

Whatever the case, Morey, and past GMs and the whole Rockets organization is unbelievable in what they've done in the last 20 years (as far as hiring big market names). Hakeem, Drexler, Barkley, Pippen, Francis, Ming, T-Mac, Lin (got Lin when he was prime lol), Harden, Howard. Hopefully they don't pull a "Lakers" this next season, hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball