Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You are probably right.

but that's a stupid reason not offer him the max... Westbrook didn't have a great finals either.
Not exactly, in each game of the NBA Finals, Westbook outscored Harden in every game except for Game 5 when they both had the same amount of points.

Game 1, Westbrook 27pts, Harden 5pts

Game 2- Westbrook-27 pts, Harden-21pts

Game 3- Westbrook-19pts, Harden-9pts

Game 4- Westbrook-43pts, Harden-8pts

Game 5-Westbrook-19pts, Harden-19pts

So Harden scored under 10 pts 3 times during the series while Westbrook scored over 20 3 times during the series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not exactly, in each game of the NBA Finals, Westbook outscored Harden in every game except for Game 5 when they both had the same amount of points.

So Harden scored under 10 pts 3 times during the series while Westbrook scored over 20 3 times during the series
Westbrook took anywhere from 18 to 32 shots a night though.

Russell Westbrook 2011-12 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

He had one hot shooting night but other than that had maybe only one other acceptable night and 3 crappy nights.

Points scored is all fine and well, but if you are shooting 40%....well.....thanks for killing your own team.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Barkley just said on TNT he wasn't sure if the Lakers could stay healthy on Tuesday
The Lakers are likely to be healthy on any tuesday.....

I'm having visions of the Lakers team with Karl malone and Gary Payton....you whippersnapers probably don't remember that though.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,577 times
Quote:

I didn't say Westbrook played worse... I said he didn't have a good finals. There is more to basketball than just scoring.

Westbrook's is a point guard!!!

Game 1 Westbrook was 10 for 24... 0 for 4 from 3pt line. Harden was 2 for 6... 1 for 2 from 3pt line.
Game 2: Westbrook 10 for 26!!! Harden was 7 for 11..
Game 3: Westbrook was 8/18 and Harden was 2/10...
Game 4: Westbrook took 32 shots!!! 0-3 from 3pt...Harden was 2/10 and 1/5 from 3pt.
Game 5: Westbrook was 4/20... And 0-5 from 3pt... Harden was 5/11 and 3/8 from 3pt line.

Sure Westbrook shot slightly better... But OKC will never win with him taking that many shots! And he can't shoot pathetic from 3 pt line.

So to say he played better than Harden in the finals is marginal. blaming Harden as the only reason for losing is weak...

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Lakers are likely to be healthy on any tuesday.....

I'm having visions of the Lakers team with Karl malone and Gary Payton....you whippersnapers probably don't remember that though.

I screwed that statement up, lol

I was trying to said that on Tuesday Night barkey said he wasn't sure if the Lakers could stay healthy all season

Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I didn't say Westbrook played worse... I said he didn't have a good finals. There is more to basketball than just scoring.

Westbrook's is a point guard!!!

Game 1 Westbrook was 10 for 24... 0 for 4 from 3pt line. Harden was 2 for 6... 1 for 2 from 3pt line.
Game 2: Westbrook 10 for 26!!! Harden was 7 for 11..
Game 3: Westbrook was 8/18 and Harden was 2/10...
Game 4: Westbrook took 32 shots!!! 0-3 from 3pt...Harden was 2/10 and 1/5 from 3pt.
Game 5: Westbrook was 4/20... And 0-5 from 3pt... Harden was 5/11 and 3/8 from 3pt line.

Sure Westbrook shot slightly better... But OKC will never win with him taking that many shots! And he can't shoot pathetic from 3 pt line.

So to say he played better than Harden in the finals is marginal. blaming Harden as the only reason for losing is weak...

Those pts that OKC depended on from Harden off the bench didn't come in Games 3 and 4 which is why the Finals was not as good as most expected. Most expected the series to return back to OKC but when they lost 3 in a row in Miami that was mostly because of Harden scoring 17 pts total in 2 games.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,545,932 times
Quote:
No... People are saying OKC let him go for $4.5M not that he left for that amount. that is because they did not offer him the max that they could offer him which was $4.5M more. They short changed him...

The point is, they obviously didn't want him because they didn't even offer the max.
I see what you're saying. If that is true, then Harden shouldn't be criticized, but keep in mind OKC already recently gave Ibaka a big contract too. The financial aspects would've hurt their cap. The other side i heard was that he should've taken the deal since it was only 4.5mil diff and that he would've continued to be on a championship contender, so they felt he was greedy to reject for just 4.5mil diff but the reality was that it wasn't the 4.5mil, but that extra year he could get from another team...and some team would've offered him the max anyway.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I see what you're saying. If that is true, then Harden shouldn't be criticized, but keep in mind OKC already recently gave Ibaka a big contract too. The financial aspects would've hurt their cap. The other side i heard was that he should've taken the deal since it was only 4.5mil diff and that he would've continued to be on a championship contender, so they felt he was greedy to reject for just 4.5mil diff but the reality was that it wasn't the 4.5mil, but that extra year he could get from another team...and some team would've offered him the max anyway.
Yea, He probably wanted to leave as well as get that extra year and more total money. I'm not sure I would pass up that oppty either... rings are nice but $25M more is nicer!!! ;-)

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times
Quote:
Those pts that OKC depended on from Harden off the bench didn't come in Games 3 and 4 which is why the Finals was not as good as most expected. Most expected the series to return back to OKC but when they lost 3 in a row in Miami that was mostly because of Harden scoring 17 pts total in 2 games.
all i will say again is teams dont make decisions like this based on a single series, or 2-3 games. they would be foolish to think like that, especially in the case of a #3 option who was guarded by one of the best perimeter defenders in the league on the biggest stage of the season when he is only 22-23 years old. teams just dont do that. now had he sucked ALL playoffs then maybe but not one series, just doesnt happen. and sam presti is one of the absolute best in the business he isnt blowing up a trio of that. remember he came from san antonio where the big three was invented, where the "star off the bench" was invented, where he learned how important chemistry is over just numbers. morey in houston has been trying to build a title contender "by the numbers" money ball style and he hasnt learned yet that the nba doenst work that way, presti is of a different school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
not what i read at all...... it is my understanding that he was ok with the money but wanted a trade exception in his contract. basically he wanted a clause saying he could veto any potential trades if he didnt like them. really on kobe has something like that in his contract.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
FBJ

ESPN asked earlier this evening could James harden score 37 pts again tonight. Well he comes out tonight and scores 45

what is wrong with these coaches? They don't know who James Harden is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball