Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM

102 posts, read 139,428 times

Advertisements

Anyone still interested? Haha

I think they need to stay put at the trade deadline. This isn't the year. The last two series have shown that. You can only scrape by with one-run victories for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,035,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Anyone still interested? Haha

I think they need to stay put at the trade deadline. This isn't the year. The last two series have shown that. You can only scrape by with one-run victories for so long.
I am absolutely still interested, although I now think their realistic chances of the playoffs are rather slim.

As for trades, I would not mind seeing them move Castro along. I have seen enough of him over the years to know he is the player now that he is going to be. Undisciplined, unrefined, and unreliable. Sure, he has a ton of talent, but I am feeling pretty confident now that he is never going to put the effort into really learning the finer points of the game and will continue to be a mistake prone fielder and base runner, who doesn't work the count and gives up too much swinging at bad pitches.

I absolutely do not like the rumors Baez could be traded. Also a major free swinger, but he has so much up side potential too with his power. He doesn't have to hit .280 with that kind of power to be an asset to the lineup. Sure, they are dangling him for what should be a pretty good pitcher who they control for a number of years, but trading a middle infielder with that much power could go down as the next Brock for Broglio.

Nice late game win last night on the Rizzo 3 run bomb anyway! They are keeping it interesting!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM

102 posts, read 139,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am absolutely still interested, although I now think their realistic chances of the playoffs are rather slim.

As for trades, I would not mind seeing them move Castro along. I have seen enough of him over the years to know he is the player now that he is going to be. Undisciplined, unrefined, and unreliable. Sure, he has a ton of talent, but I am feeling pretty confident now that he is never going to put the effort into really learning the finer points of the game and will continue to be a mistake prone fielder and base runner, who doesn't work the count and gives up too much swinging at bad pitches.

I absolutely do not like the rumors Baez could be traded. Also a major free swinger, but he has so much up side potential too with his power. He doesn't have to hit .280 with that kind of power to be an asset to the lineup. Sure, they are dangling him for what should be a pretty good pitcher who they control for a number of years, but trading a middle infielder with that much power could go down as the next Brock for Broglio.

Nice late game win last night on the Rizzo 3 run bomb anyway! They are keeping it interesting!
I was about to say the same thing about Castro. He has had plenty of chances. Maybe he'll finish up the year strong and increase his trade value.

I also like Baez.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:54 PM

131 posts, read 139,106 times
Rumours was that the Pads wanted Castro in the Kimbrel/Ross trade but the Cubs wouldn't budge.

I am happy with the Dan Haren trade. Will be a solid #5 and much better than Beeler

I am eh on getting rid of Junior Lake. In the games he played he seemed to hit the ball well but it seems that other teams started to figure him out so the trade may be good.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,269,012 times
Lake is out of options. It was basically him or Sczcur.
Since we're talking 4th or 5th OF and defensive replacement, it was a pretty easy call.

Cubs basically traded Lake and some Rule 5 guys for actual Major League players.
Castro may very well get traded, but otherwise they'll get pitching by buying it.
The elite hitting prospects are going to be Cubs.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 AM

Trading Lake is not upsetting to me. He is basically a known quality at this point and does not project to being a power hitting outfielder, which is what they could really use. Guys like Lake can be found to play OF all over the place.

I am a little disappointed Castro stayed, but he has looked good in the field the last couple days. Still I am skeptical it will stay.

The Riz is swinging well again, 4 HR's in 4 games~!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM

131 posts, read 139,106 times
Rizzo didnt hit a hr in the game today. But still swept the Brewers and 10 games over .500 and tied with the Giants for a WC spot. We don't have to face Cole or Burnett in the Pirates series and no MadBum in the Giants series. Pirates have to face Lester, Arrieta, and Haren while the Giants have to face Hammel, Hendricks, Lester, and Arrieta with an improved offense so far. This team is capable of going 5-2 over the next 7 games.

I know that he may be needed, but I think Bryant should take day off tomorrow. Hope his injury wasn't serious but still maybe a day off will help his slump.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM

I sat through that rain delay on Monday. Disappointed they did not get that one in. For as little as he played, Lester looked like he was really on again and would have dominated their lineup all game.

A split in Pittsburgh was a little disappointing after Riz and Schwarber tied it up with the long ball last night too.

Now onto a huge series with the Giants.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,995,475 times
Quote:
I sat through that rain delay on Monday. Disappointed they did not get that one in. For as little as he played, Lester looked like he was really on again and would have dominated their lineup all game.

A split in Pittsburgh was a little disappointing after Riz and Schwarber tied it up with the long ball last night too.
I split after about an hour and no announcement as to when it would continue. Then again, that was the 5th time in past 6 games I've attended where I got soaked. It gets old. Drove thru a nasty hail storm on way home to boot.

Anyway, regarding Lester, you could say the same for Liriano.

From a Bucs fan's perspective, Rizzo is now probably the most feared opponent. Not only does hit he hit a ton, he's just an annoying out, right up there with Votto in terms of just fouling off pitch after pitch. IMO, given how close Rizzo is to the plate, he needs to get backed off more. Gibson and Drysdale wouldn't stand for that! Then again, it would be nice if Pedro Alvarez could learn something from Rizzo's crowding the plate and adding to his power numbers by doing so.

Adding Soria to our pen is going to be huge. "71mph filth" was how one sportswriter describe that beautiful curveball.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,162,649 times
Quote:

Now onto a huge series with the Giants.
It is a four game series, a sweep by the Cubs would put them 3.5 games ahead of SF for the second wild card slot. A sweep by the Giants would leave Chicago 4.5 games behind.

Tonight is is rookie Chris Heston 11-5, 3.24 vs Jason Hammel 6-5, 3.13.

The Cubs are fortunate in that they will not have to face Bumgarner who pitched yesterday. Friday is Leake vs Lester, Saturday is Cain vs Hendrick and Sunday is Peavy vs Arrieta.

Question....why are they playing a Thursday night game but playing a day game on Friday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball