Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM

675 posts, read 723,948 times

Advertisements

Are African American politicians really effective in reducing Afro American crime ? To me they don't seem to be. If you look at the statistics for how long African Americans are incarcerated for horrendous crimes you will be shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 PM

783 posts, read 576,740 times
They most certainly are not. They're just as corrupt as any other group of politicians. They're in it for themselves and if you dig a little, for most of them, it's not even that difficult to see. They couldn't give a rats *** anyway about crime, as long as it's not happening in their neighborhood. Politicians don't reduce crime anyway. Effective police who don't feel that they're going to be hung out to dry whenever they try to do their jobs do that. And Judges who care more about protecting decent citizens as opposed to showing how progressive they can be by giving criminals slaps on the wrist do that. When those criminals aren't pursued by police and are allowed to act freely, and when those criminals are released back into the neighborhood to continue their shenanigans, the only people who are hurt are the people who the politicians ignore until the next election.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 PM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Hogan. a white republican. has decided that prisoners are soon going have to serve their entire prison sentence not just a fraction of it. I wonder if that was in the mayors new crime plan. Go Hogan !

Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
....has decided that prisoners are soon going have to serve their entire prison sentence
not just a fraction of it.
Yeah? Think it through.

And how many plea bargained, district court level or bench cases will be added
to the already overwhelmed Circuit Court so that juries get to decide on cases?

Juries, not to mention Judges and Courtroom space, that the City just doesn't have.
Let alone what would happen if they actually succeeded... with inadequate prison space.
---

Balloon squeezing approaches make for headlines but never work.
Look for ways to deflate the balloon.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah? Think it through.

And how many plea bargained, district court level or bench cases will be added
to the already overwhelmed Circuit Court so that juries get to decide on cases?

Juries, not to mention Judges and Courtroom space, that the City just doesn't have.
Let alone what would happen if they actually succeeded... with inadequate prison space.
---

Balloon squeezing approaches make for headlines but never work.
Look for ways to deflate the balloon.
You don't get sentenced until after a verdict is reached. At that point the case has already been tried, plead out, stet docketed etc. Changing the guidelines for how sentences must be served won't have an impact on in-court time........other than possibly lessening it as criminals will be in prison longer, not back on the streets committing more crimes and clogging the docket.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You don't get sentenced until after a verdict is reached.
Correct. And thanks for the civics lesson.

Think it through. Again.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
What uncrowded, fully staffed, in the city where the inmates come from but not near anybody's neighborhood, prison will be used to confine those convicts who are serving their full sentences? Or will we be building some new ones in Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore?

You have to have a place to put them before you can put them away (and keep them there).

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Correct. And thanks for the civics lesson.

Think it through. Again.
I am not a mind-reader. You are going to have to take the time to type out a few sentences of text explaining your point if you wish to converse.

If it is about prison space.......let me know where I can send my check. IMO, we are already paying for criminals to live, whether it be behind bars, or through public assistance once they are out. All things being equal, I would rather my money go to support them behind bars where they can't victimize the rest of us.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If it is about prison space...
It's about the futility of prison as an answer to what are 85% social welfare issues.
Maybe 95%. Regarding the actively criminal most of that's mostly about the twisted logic of the failed War On Drugs.
Prison is NOT the answer ...even if it was free and without it's own set of complications.

Stop squeezing the same balloon.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
It's about the futility of prison as an answer to what are 85% social welfare issues.
Maybe 95%. Regarding the actively criminal most of that's mostly about the twisted logic of the failed War On Drugs.
Prison is NOT the answer ...even if it was free and without it's own set of complications.

Stop squeezing the same balloon.
I'll agree with you about the failed War on Drugs. It does not make sense to me either than non-violent drug offenses should be so harshly punished. They suck up space and resources needed for violent offenders.

As for the futility of prison as an answer, I suppose I would say by the time a person is convicted of a major crime, whatever social welfare issues they may have become secondary to the need to protect the rest of society from our neighbors that would do us harm. That is the point of prison, separating the functional citizens from those members of society who victimize others. The idea that prisons will succeed in rehabing criminals and preventing recidivism is flawed at best, a little lie we tell ourselves at worst.

Sadly, prison is the answer for individuals who have no desire to function as law-abiding members of society. If you can get to people and change their ways before they victimize others, that would be ideal, but once a person rejects the social contract and victimizes their fellow citizens, their "social welfare" issues become secondary to the right of the rest of us to remove those from our society that actively harm others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore