Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,624 times

Advertisements

Hello i am new here to this forum. I am a single parent and currently considering relocationg to the baltimore area from brooklyn ny with my 7 yr old. And i just want to know what are the safest neighborhoods. I am looking for a 2br apt that is no more than $815/mth with plenty of amenities,. I know the saying you pay for what you get-- but if any1 can please help me with USEFUL info about safe and clean areas where there are really good schools and is easily accessible to public trans (i dont drive).
If any one has any info on Randallstown?? I found an apartment there but dont know much about the area.??
Thanks i appreciate it
Oh if there are hospitals and healthcare facilities that either close by or a quick commute (i'm in healthcare profession)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettydee1 View Post
If any one has any info on Randallstown?? I found an apartment there but dont know much about the area.??
Thanks i appreciate it
Oh if there are hospitals and healthcare facilities that either close by or a quick commute (i'm in healthcare profession)
You have set some nearly impossible requirements, unfortunately. You really need a car to get to the safer, affordable neighborhoods where there are good schools.

The parts of Randallstown in your price range are not particularly safe.

There are health-care facilities where you could commute by public transportation, but I can't think of a residential area on a bus line where I could recommend the schools.

Please don't be offended, but my best suggestion is to learn to drive before you think about working in the Baltimore area.

Your budget for rent might work in Atlanta, Houston, or another southern city. In fact, I looked of Realtor.com, and randomly found an apartment in Houston, TX that meets all your requirements: the Village at Red Oak. The 2BR's start at $649.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-04-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You have set some nearly impossible requirements, unfortunately. You really need a car to get to the safer, affordable neighborhoods where there are good schools.

The parts of Randallstown in your price range are not particularly safe.

There are health-care facilities where you could commute by public transportation, but I can't think of a residential area on a bus line where I could recommend the schools.

Please don't be offended, but my best suggestion is to learn to drive before you think about working in the Baltimore area.

Your budget for rent might work in Atlanta, Houston, or another southern city. In fact, I looked of Realtor.com, and randomly found an apartment in Houston, TX that meets all your requirements: the Village at Red Oak. The 2BR's start at $649.

Huh?

Baltimore is not as bad as some make it out to be.

OP, your budget will definately limit your options but there are many areas in and around Baltimore/Randallstown on the bus line that are viable. Just like Brooklyn, NY we have descent neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Catch the bus, train, or plane down to Baltimore/Randallstown a couple of times and get a feel for the area. Since you'll be looking for work in the healthcare field, go ahead and apply to some of the many healthcare institutions first. Thinking positive, when you receive an offer simply inquire with the HR department as to what neighborhood(s) are options in your price range.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
OP, your budget will definately limit your options but there are many areas in and around Baltimore/Randallstown on the bus line that are viable.
Sorry, but can you name one complex where the OP can find a 2-bedroom for a max of $815, that is in a safe neighborhood, and has good schools, and is on a bus line?

I was just trying to be realistic. When I lived in the area, there were gun fights at Randallstown HS, and murders and drug arrests in the apartments.

There apparently are some places on Craigslist which might work for the OP. For example there is a townhouse in Catonsville off Frederick Road fro $800/month.

However, I will restate that a driver's license would give the OP a lot more flexibility. The bus system in Baltimore is lousy. I speak from experience.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-05-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 26,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sorry, but can you name one complex where the OP can find a 2-bedroom for a max of $815, that is in a safe neighborhood, and has good schools, and is on a bus line?

I was just trying to be realistic. When I lived in the area, there were gun fights at Randallstown HS, and murders and drug arrests in the apartments.

There apparently are some places on Craigslist which might work for the OP. For example there is a townhouse in Catonsville off Frederick Road fro $800/month.

However, I will restate that a driver's license would give the OP a lot more flexibility. The bus system in Baltimore is lousy. I speak from experience.
I live at Greenlyn Apartments in Cylburn neighborhood of Baltimore, right off Northern Parkway and right next to Sinai Hospital. My two bedroom apartment is $870 per month. While this is a bit beyond the number the OP posted, its this kind of apartment complex that would meet his/her needs. I don't like the idea of people thinking Baltimore is very black and white, rich and poor, safe and unsafe. While there are dangerous places and some very nice, hip, more expensive neighborhoods, there are some transitional fringe areas too that are kind of in the middle, and fringe does not necessarily mean bad. Apart from that, many place in Northeast Baltimore seem to be quiet, working class predominantly African American neighborhoods. Nothing too special or sparkly, but certainly safe and a fine place to live. If you're on a budget (like me) you have to find diamonds in the rough. Not trying to knock you goldenage, I agree having a car gives you many more options, but this situation isn't quite "impossible".

To the original poster- Greenlyn Apartments at Cylburn seems to meet some of your needs. It is a working class African American neighborhood, and is safe and well lit. I have never felt threatened, residents usually keep to themselves but are friendly on approach. My apartment is one block from a bus stop and many of my neighbors don't seem to have cars and use the bus to get to their jobs. Some of my neighbors work at the hospital, the man across the hall is a doctor starting his residency at Sinai. I'm almost only one block from the Cylburn Arboretum, which is a nice park to go for a walk/run with some really nice gardens. So, safe? check. Close to public transport? check. Close to hospital? Check. Close to park? Check.

The only other question (if you can make the budget) would be the schools. I wouldn't recommend most of Baltimore elementary schools, but there is a middle school right on Greenspring that uses a unique approach and has gotten great results.

Another neighborhood to look into is Medfield- a quaint and quiet neighborhood in the center of the city next to Hampden. It's like a little piece of the 'burbs in the center of Baltimore. And its close to the Cold Spring light rail stop, and buses go by Coldspring. Lots of green space and a great elementary school. Might be a bit more expensive.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rth1252 View Post

Another neighborhood to look into is Medfield- a quaint and quiet neighborhood in the center of the city next to Hampden. It's like a little piece of the 'burbs in the center of Baltimore. And its close to the Cold Spring light rail stop, and buses go by Coldspring. Lots of green space and a great elementary school. Might be a bit more expensive.
The Medfield Heights Elementary school is supposed to be one of the under the radar decent schools along with Cross Country Elementary.

I've also heard good things about the area around Morgan State, though I think it depends on which side you live on? I know Hopkins has some sort of charter school there? Is that correct? But I have visited friends around there and the neighborhood seems pretty nice and not too expensive.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,624 times
Thank you very much for all the info i would definitely do so more research on those neighborhoods and schools that you guys listed. And to Goldenage1 im not going to lie-- reading your post had me a little discouraged. However i do appreciate your input, just glad to know its not impossible.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:21 AM

I wasn't sure if the OP had a special reason for selecting Baltimore. If not, there are many cities like Houston and Atlanta where rent will be cheaper.

Thanks to the person who mentioned charter schools, as they are an option for a better schools. I had also heard of a private school offering scholarships to some low-income minority kids.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM

280 posts, read 674,948 times
When I first moved to this area I lived in Dunhill Village Apartments off Liberty Rd. for a year. The zip code is 21244, Windsor Mill. It was, and I think still is, a reasonably safe area.

It's a mile or two from the Milford Mill metro and I think you can get a bus to the station. The rent was about $780 for a decent two bedroom, but that was ten years ago.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM

36 posts, read 98,039 times
I love Baltimore... It's one of my favorite cities, and the 13 years I spent there were some of the happiest of my life.

That said, if you want to get around Baltimore, you need a car. It's just that simple. My last 13 years were spent in New York (Manhattan), so I know what level of public transportation you're accustomed to... and believe me, Baltimore ain't got it!

I lived in Mt. Washington toward the end of my Baltimore stay, and there are some apartments up that way, around Western Run, that might suit you. Plus, Cross Country Elementary and Mt. Washington Elementary are two of the best in the city. The neighbors are friendly, there's plenty of green space, it's close to all the city amenities (though NOTHING commercial is in walking distance)... but it's a little bit of paradise on earth, and is where I'd want to raise my children if I had any.

But in terms of living without a car -- the only other city in the entire US where I would consider not having a car (besides NYC) would be San Francisco.

Good luck! Baltimore's great... It's like one great big Brooklyn (minus the public transpo)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore