Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So it's not just in the movies. People do get "sucked out"
It's why you are advised to keep your seat belt fastened at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Take the flight with the understanding your biggest risk will be driving to the airport. It was an isolated incident, far less common than traffic fatalities.

Agreed.....relax take the flight and know you're more likely to be struck by lightning than to go out an aircraft window......

Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Absolutely true that luck is a factor. Luck that it didn't happen on initial climbout. Luck that the damage wasn't worse (that secondary systems weren't affected). Luck that there was good weather at PHL. But luck doesn't get the plane down on the ground safely. That's skill and mostly training. Most travelers don't realize just how much recurrent training airline pilots perform, or what that training consists of. As Pilot1 said, they regularly train engine out and sudden cabin depressurization procedures. Because of the training, if a real emergency happens they already KNOW what to do: they don't have to think about it, they just fall back on their training. The same is true for the flight attendants.
Yes--different day, different location--different outcome
Sullenberger admitted that his flight outcome was as successful as it was because of many factors--not just his performance...

My neighbor (AA pilot) went for flight training Friday---
His wife says he loves it...big video game simulator

Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM

486 posts, read 991,884 times
I always wondered why airplanes do not have 3 point seat belts like automobiles (not just lap belts). I am not saying a 3 point seat belt would have helped in this exact situation, as perhaps the force would have ripped her out of the restraint. Also a 3 point seat belt wouldn't work in this situation if the passenger was not wearing her seat belt at the time the window was broken by the engine shrapnel.

Plus with airplane seats getting smaller and smaller (especially on 737's) where would they put a 3 point seat belt? Bottom dollar first for the shareholders, safety (and comfort!) a distant second... Just my unpopular opinion.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I always wondered why airplanes do not have 3 point seat belts like automobiles (not just lap belts). I am not saying a 3 point seat belt would have helped in this exact situation, as perhaps the force would have ripped her out of the restraint. Also a 3 point seat belt wouldn't work in this situation if the passenger was not wearing her seat belt at the time the window was broken by the engine shrapnel.
Those seatbelts are very strong. They find bodies still strapped in after crashes. If your seatbelt is on, and reasonable tight, a depressurization won't pull you out of it. I keep mine on, but mainly for turbulence as I don't want to hit my head on the luggage bin above me.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So we should take all Honda Accords off the road because one had some type of failure that put the occupants at risk? The 737 is one of the most common, safest aircraft in the fleet. There are risks in all facets of life, and travel is one of them. The fact that this wasn't more of a disaster is a testament to pilot training, and Boeing.
Not to take anything away but this thread has post about a maintenance issue that needs to be addressed
And likely was not detected on this plane
I have no idea WHY it wasn't
Laziness or cutting corners I don't think is much of problem w/SWA because of the excellent flying record
But who knows why
I would think this situatuion could be similar to the GM switch problem that was known to the company and just not prioritized--
Luck of the draw that YOUR plane won't be next---lot of people will take that chance because odds seem to be in the Flyers' corner
But maybe this is just the aging of the fleet
Maybe they bought certain number of fans that were defective because of some production flaw and it didn't show up until years later
Remember the movie w/Jack Lemon and Jane Fonda--"The China Syndrome"
Nuclear plant has structural weakness because engineering company didn't want to pay to X-ray the welds--
Hyperbolic to some people because it was trying to defame use of nuclear power plants
But we all know stories of businesses that for various reasons and levels of culpability have allowed/ignored dangers to the public, their customers, the environment to continue
Tanaka airbags ring a bell?

One of the GOP candidates running for Senator in WVA has gone to jail for year because he knowingly allowed his company to pollute a waterway in the state...
So yes, companies sometimes don't pay attention to factors that could be dangerous...

Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
I'll be flying on a B737 tomorrow, but I am not going to get worked up over 2 incidents across heaven knows how many flight hours.

Turbine blades have a nonzero risk of failing. Cowling rings have a nonzero risk of failing. The chances of the dice falling so that both happen is still very low indeed.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:20 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
This is horrifying. I didn't see any blood on the seat in the photos, so maybe it was all these other injuries that killed her. I was curious about the guy who was interviewed who was three rows behind where it happened. He had sent a joking tweet about the incident, but said that was before he knew a passenger had died. But how could he not have seen all the hubbub with the other passengers trying to get her back in the plane, or the EMTs removing her from the plane? And did you see the video from another passenger -- it is eerily quiet other than the rush of the wind. I guess no one was taking a chance screaming, as they'd have to remove their oxygen mask.

Anyway, since this is rare but has happened before (someone being sucked out of a window), wonder why there isn't a bar over the window to prevent a body's being able to fit through the opening?
It's called a seat belt.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Pilots practice emergency procedures, and engine out procedures A LOT. Lots of SIM time. It works. Much of learning to fly is practicing what to do when things go wrong.
The Pilot Captain was a former Navy (Uhrahh!) Fighter Pilot!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/...id=mailsignout

Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Never considered that..Usually I go for a window seat. Not anymore..
The odds are definitely with you......if you still like that window seat. Remember, the pilots have large window seats.

About 700 million US passengers per year. If one gets sucked out per decade, that's a 1 in 7 BILLION odds.

Anything over 1 in 10,000,000 or so if fine for me. After all, your lifetime odds of dying in a car wreck are better than 1 in 500.
(note - various sources quote it as low as 1 in 300 and as high as one in 700 - in any case, terrible odds and very few would ever drive if they understood these implications).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation