Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Delta boards back to front (as declared in their "zones") definetly not front to back.
The problem is a bit in the priority seating arrangements - as everyone and their brother has either some sort of credit card that allows them priority boarding or is a frequent flyer, Try flying out of Atlanta on a monday where 90% of the flyers are golds, plats or diamonds. The credit card ones irk me the most, since it is purely a revenue generating tool by the airlines. The people don't even need to fly to get this.
Another problem is that Delta gate agents do not always enforce zone seating. Another problem is the "special needs" seating where every family with a child (including teenagers) think the pre-boarding applies to them - but they seem to have enforced that a bit better.
My real issue is....
GATE LICE! Those idiots that congregate in front of the gate waiting for their zone to be called. I can't even get onboard sometimes, it's so congested, when they call for first class boarding. You have reserved seating - sit the hell down and get the hell out of the way so I can board with my upgrade!
Maybe ive never noticed because when i get on, the back is nearly empty and the line behind me makes their way to the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
In some airlines like for example Iberia they do it like you mention, first of all last seat rows, and after that the front ones.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I've had that same thought over the years flying various airlines domestically. I also wonder why the flight attendants don't announce that persons without belongings in the overheard bins should be allowed to leave first.
So, if you have a person in the window seat without any carry-on luggage and the two people separating that person from the aisle who have carried on their luggage, how does that work out. They will have to get up and move backward down the aisle as someone in the row behind them is trying to do the same. It just won't work.

What I see working the best is first seating first class followed by people in wheelchairs and with children under 2. After that, you have it going row by row starting from the back. You'd essentially have 5 lines roped off with LED boards above each with the row number that feeds to the gate. People fill in those rows and each line then proceeds. Once that line enters the gate, the LED sign pulls up the next row. If you miss your row call, you wait until the end. Each overhead bin has a slot for each seat, and if your crap doesn't fit in YOUR area, it sucks to be you because they take that piece from you and check it on THE NEXT PLANE.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if you have a person in the window seat without any carry-on luggage and the two people separating that person from the aisle who have carried on their luggage, how does that work out. They will have to get up and move backward down the aisle as someone in the row behind them is trying to do the same. It just won't work.

What I see working the best is first seating first class followed by people in wheelchairs and with children under 2. After that, you have it going row by row starting from the back. You'd essentially have 5 lines roped off with LED boards above each with the row number that feeds to the gate. People fill in those rows and each line then proceeds. Once that line enters the gate, the LED sign pulls up the next row. If you miss your row call, you wait until the end. Each overhead bin has a slot for each seat, and if your crap doesn't fit in YOUR area, it sucks to be you because they take that piece from you and check it on THE NEXT PLANE.
by your logic, i guess you also fill the top half of a glass before fillingthe bottom.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Because it's unhygienic?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Since the wheels are in the front and the middle wouldn't the front of the plane rise if the back was full? Like a teeter totter!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Since the wheels are in the front and the middle wouldn't the front of the plane rise if the back was full? Like a teeter totter!
Haha! That would be comical. I'm pretty sure they take that into account when designing a plane, don't you? Otherwise it would happen every flight since it is normal during deplaning for the front to be empty.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
>Why dont airlines board back to front?

I have seen it done once, when it was the last flight out and the crew was very close to timing out. They lined up people by row number and marched them in. No first class, no families with children, no superplatinum plus.

Present schemes have much more to do with providing perks for frequent fliers, etc. etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM

408 posts, read 393,299 times
I've been on flights in the US that boarded back to front.

One of the Delta Connection airlines (can't recall if it was ASA or Comair) used to use French-built ATRs for shorter hops. Those are turboprop aircraft that seat anywhere from about 40-70 people. From what I recall about their layout, there's a small cargo compartment in the rear of the aircraft, then a boarding door, then the passenger compartment.

From what I remember, we boarded through that rear door, back to front, *every* time I flew on one of those ATRs.

And I may be dating myself here, but some earlier iterations of the 727 had 'air stairs' mounted in the very rear of the plane. They were self-contained and dropped right down onto the apron, and some airlines would use them to speed boarding, or at smaller airports that didn't have enough boarding gates or mobile stairs. IIRC, the famed criminal D. B. Cooper made his escape out the rear air stairs of a 727 by opening them *in flight* and leaping out with a parachute and his swag.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
I've been on flights in the US that boarded back to front.

One of the Delta Connection airlines (can't recall if it was ASA or Comair) used to use French-built ATRs for shorter hops. Those are turboprop aircraft that seat anywhere from about 40-70 people. From what I recall about their layout, there's a small cargo compartment in the rear of the aircraft, then a boarding door, then the passenger compartment.

From what I remember, we boarded through that rear door, back to front, *every* time I flew on one of those ATRs.

And I may be dating myself here, but some earlier iterations of the 727 had 'air stairs' mounted in the very rear of the plane. They were self-contained and dropped right down onto the apron, and some airlines would use them to speed boarding, or at smaller airports that didn't have enough boarding gates or mobile stairs. IIRC, the famed criminal D. B. Cooper made his escape out the rear air stairs of a 727 by opening them *in flight* and leaping out with a parachute and his swag.
True. They retrofitted many, if not all, of the 727s with a small device that would rotate when the aircraft is moving so that the airstairs couldn't be opened. The MD80 series and Boeing 717s all still have airstairs and are primarily used for cleaning the aircraft and/or catering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_vane

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Certain aircraft are susceptible to that if weight and balance isn't taken into account, especially on the A319/A320 series. If you load all the luggage in the aft compartment and seat passengers only behind the wing, I'm sure you can tip a small commercial aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation