Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,836 times

Advertisements

...Pakse Airport

My wife is from Laos. Anyone fly this airline? Her father has flown with them from Bangkok I believe. Not sure about their safety record.

Looks like the pilots lost control in a windstorm related to a typhoon. Possible wind sheer accident? I can't imagine Lao Airlines planes aren't equipped with the proper radar for avoiding storms. I always liked the ATRs, but I know carriers like to keep them in warmer climates due to deicing issues (American Eagle 4184).

49 souls on board, all presumed dead. RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
...Pakse Airport

My wife is from Laos. Anyone fly this airline? Her father has flown with them from Bangkok I believe. Not sure about their safety record.

Looks like the pilots lost control in a windstorm related to a typhoon. Possible wind sheer accident? I can't imagine Lao Airlines planes aren't equipped with the proper radar for avoiding storms. I always liked the ATRs, but I know carriers like to keep them in warmer climates due to deicing issues (American Eagle 4184).

49 souls on board, all presumed dead. RIP.
It was actually an ATR 72-600 that crashed, which is also the variant of model that fell out of the sky over Indiana and Cuba. The Reuters report said that the plane had just came off the production line in March, so it was the latest and greatest. It is now reported that the plane ended up in the river. I'm curious if the pilots attempted to ditch or if that just happened to come down there.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
The ATR actually has a decent radar onboard, more than enough to get around rain, storms, hurricanes (eh...ok) etc.

As a guy who's flown through a hurricane (outer bands of Fey in 08) they're oddly made up when you're not towards the mass. The pieces that get thrown off from the eye are actually lots of small, highly volatile storm concentrations (lots of yellow and red on the radar). You can dodge most of the cells, but expect some decent bumps going through any you can't get around or over...the storm was a little over an hour off the coast of FL when we were chugging through the weather...When we landed, the plane had a minor mechanical failure, and a good buddy of mine ended up flying her home...they were limited to 25,000 feet (right in the middle of the storm) for the entire route...he thanks me routinely for that experience.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:17 PM

50 posts, read 100,890 times
I've flown on Laos airlines from BKK-VTE it was on the A320 though, and it was a good flight.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
After losing two colleagues on developing country airlines (E-W African flights), and several close calls flying N-S in Latin America, I always return to Europe (or the US) to make these connections instead of flying an all-developing country airline.

They simply do not have the same safety and maintenance standards as airlines that land in Europe and the US.

I don't care how new the plane is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation