Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,745 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I will be flying SWA CLE-BWI-MHT and back in June. I like their "bags fly free" campaign, and looking to check a bag. When arriving in MHT, I will be driving 100 miles to my parents in VT. My only concern is, if the off chance my bag does not show up in MHT, would SWA deliever my bag to my parents' house that far away?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
It should not be a problem. If you bags miss the flight you need to fill out a claim with in 4 hours of your arrival. SWA will make arrangements to deliver your bag to you at your parents place. The only real exception to this is if you check in you bags less than 30 minutes (45 minutes at some airports) before before the flight is scheduled to depart. If you are late checking in bags they will put a late check in tag on the bags and will not be responsible for delivering your bags should they miss the flight. They would probably fly your bags to MHT but you would have to pick up the delivery costs beyond that.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
If you meet the Check In time for your bags, and they miss there connection in BWI (btw SW does not miss many bag connections.) SW will deliver them, BUT it may be 24+ hours till you get them. Normally the bags are put on the next flight up, to MHT. You might want to 'plan' to do something around MHT for few hours till the next flight comes in. And just pick them up @ airport then. Don't pack anything you will need for the 1st few day in your check'ed bags. (med's).

I recall from your other post, you are going for a week (maybe pack a small carry on with day or 2 of stuff) . Also if you are checking more then one bag. Pack 1/2 your stuff in 1 bag, other 1/2 in your other bag. So If 1 misses the connection you still have 1/2 the cloths you need for the week. By the time the other bag catches up you will be ready to use them.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
I've never had to do this with Southwest, but with another airline. We had to drive a few hundred miles farther than our destination airport, after the airline had lost our bags. We informed the airline that we expected them to deliver our bags to us, since it was completely the airline's doing that the bags were lost, and they did. I'm guessing (since this was in the UK) that they shipped the bags to us using train and taxi.

I'd try holding the airline to delivering the bags *to you*. Let them use UPS or DHL or something, if they need to.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Our flight from ELP to BWI had to change aircraft at the last minute in ELP, we barely made our connecting flight in ABQ. Although we made it, unfortunately, our bags didn't . When we got to BWI, the bags weren't there. We were staying in Harrisburg, PA which is 2 hours away. Long story , our bags arrived about 36 hours later. SWA contracts with a van to deliver bags to surrounding areas but only once a day. In hindsight, we should have driven back to BWI and picked them up the next morning as it caused much anxiety as we were going to my daughter's college graduation. My parents, in their eighties, were traveling with us. We made a trip to Walmart to by some replacement clothes and supplies that we didn't need after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation