Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,573,865 times

Advertisements

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Test Track - Motor Trend
Chevy invites Motor Trend to test the three versions of the Chevy Cruze against competing brands. The three Cruze models were the Eco fuel efficiency model, the LTZ sporty/luxuary model, and the LT which Chevy thinks will be the volume model. The writer said he feels the LT is the sweet spot for the tire/suspension package. Though there were no instrumented testing, the feel was that the acceleration was on par with the competition though the seat of the pants feel was that the Civic would squeek by in the 0-60 test. I look at the car's complete package and I don't see it as a competitor to the Civic. It looks like it's aimed directly at the Toyota Corolla. The Eco model is slightly more noisy thanks to weight reduction by removing some sound deadening material and low rolling resistance tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,072,349 times
I like this car. It sounds like a pretty sweet package, I think pricing will be key to its success.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I like this car. It sounds like a pretty sweet package, I think pricing will be key to its success.
I think it'd be a mistake if they try to make it an SS with lots of bolt on plastic pieces. They really need to get away from that kind of stuff. I wish they'd make the 1.4L turbo the base engine and GM's 2.4L engine found in the current Malibu as the LTZ option. The increased torque and smoother and slightly quicker acceleration would give it small V6 like feel for the LTZ, which is the fully loaded package. The Corolla has been a big seller for decades and the past few decades it's done so being a solid, dependable, and modest package. If the platform is good for performance tuning, the tuner crowd will find out ways to boost performance on their own. However, with the down turn in the economy, I wonder how many tuners are still spending small fortunes to upgrade their cars.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Will say this about the Cruze, it's interior looks leaps and bounds above the Cobalt's interior.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,281,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Test Track - Motor Trend
Chevy invites Motor Trend to test the three versions of the Chevy Cruze against competing brands. The three Cruze models were the Eco fuel efficiency model, the LTZ sporty/luxuary model, and the LT which Chevy thinks will be the volume model. The writer said he feels the LT is the sweet spot for the tire/suspension package. Though there were no instrumented testing, the feel was that the acceleration was on par with the competition though the seat of the pants feel was that the Civic would squeek by in the 0-60 test. I look at the car's complete package and I don't see it as a competitor to the Civic. It looks like it's aimed directly at the Toyota Corolla. The Eco model is slightly more noisy thanks to weight reduction by removing some sound deadening material and low rolling resistance tires.
Being that this is a turbo, all you would have to do is get a superchips power programmer for around $300 to raise the boost pressure, and it would give it an additional 40+ horsepower. It would then no doubt outperform all but the SI civic.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
well I bet you can get a new cobalt SS turbo for a decent price before the cruze replaces it

YouTube - 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Car and Driver

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: added I

Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times
If I was going for an econobox, taking reliability out of the equation (as we don't know yet), I would pick this over the Civic/Corolla. It is much more attractive and the only reason for getting a Civic would be to get the Si which I would agree is a superior package in terms of performance.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,112,895 times
Those Ecotec engines are built to take a beating.

I've been trying to kill mine (not really, just been having fun as I'm about ready for a new car and book value is under 1k) for the last 59,000 miles, near flooring it every chance I get. The mated 5 speed can't be busted either.

Also, Civic Si makes me lol. Get a Cobalt SS, cheaper, faster in the straights and turns, better fuel economy, etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,577,912 times
This is the most important GM product of the past forty years, and it had better be flawless.

In a segment (compact) where they've had a nonstop streak of bland and/or just terrible autos (Corvair/CitationCavalier/Cobalt) since the sixties, I'm not holding my breat that this ill challenge either the Hyundai Elantra or the Civic, which has owned this category since the early eighties.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
This is the most important GM product of the past forty years, and it had better be flawless.

In a segment (compact) where they've had a nonstop streak of bland and/or just terrible autos (Corvair/CitationCavalier/Cobalt) since the sixties, I'm not holding my breat that this ill challenge either the Hyundai Elantra or the Civic, which has owned this category since the early eighties.
I think this segment for Chevy started with the Vega, good styling in it's time but horrible choice for engine. Some Vega owners swapped out the engine with a Chevy V-8 and kicked butt. Because of the engine problems, the Vega was replaced with the Monza. Came out at a good time to compete with the horrible excuse for a Mustang. Though the Mustang II was faster, the Monza was cheaper. Didn't compare at all to the Civic and Corolla in fuel economy. Then came the Cavalier, the first FWD of this segment for GM. "Shake, Rattle, & Roll" best described this car when it first came out. They ruined any chance for this car by spending money on badge engineering instead of refinement of the model. Why pay a Cadillac price for a Chevy Cavalier? Even Buick and Oldsmobile had a model. They could have kept it down to Chevy/Pontiac and invest in refinement of the model, but of course they didn't. Then came the Cobalt. Better engine, performance, and OK fuel economy with less shake, rattle, and roll. Bland exterior and cheap interior compared to it's competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive