Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

I just lockd myself out of my Honda and was told that they would make a new key for $160!!! Whatever happened to the simple keys that you could make at a key store for under $2? These new keys are supposed to make your car less susceptible to theft, but is it really worth it? Do the hondas still get stolen with these new keys? Shouldn't the buyer be given the option of whether he wants his car equipped with these keys or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
It won't matter in a few years anyway, smart keys will take over.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just lockd myself out of my Honda and was told that they would make a new key for $160!!! Whatever happened to the simple keys that you could make at a key store for under $2? These new keys are supposed to make your car less susceptible to theft, but is it really worth it? Do the hondas still get stolen with these new keys? Shouldn't the buyer be given the option of whether he wants his car equipped with these keys or not?
becuse most people are too lazy to unlock their doors and need a button to do it same with the trunk so they put them on the key and plus the added benifit of a coded key is good because some insurance places offer a discount if you have it. plus you can get a non-coded key cut to open your doors it just won't start your car plus most new cars come with a spare coded key anyways

Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Coded key = a quick duplicate key won't start. Such offers an extra level of theft deterrence.

Otherwise an imprint or copy of the cuts would be enough for someone to easily make a duplicate and drive off with your car without much of any effort. How easy? On one of my cars, one of the keys was bent ... and ultimately broke. Took it to a locksmith ... he traced out the notches on paper, and in less than 3 minutes, a new key was made. The tools? A pencil and a narrow file.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
becuse most people are too lazy to unlock their doors and need a button to do it same with the trunk so they put them on the key and plus the added benifit of a coded key is good because some insurance places offer a discount if you have it. plus you can get a non-coded key cut to open your doors it just won't start your car plus most new cars come with a spare coded key anyways
idk i'm not too lazy to unlock a door or trunk but i like the keyless entry because over the years the area around the lock doesn't get scratched up from other keys on my chain hitting against it

Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
No doubt this quote is from the Stealer. You can do better than that with any good locksmith.

IIRC you can have a key cut to the car's VIN (key code) that does not have the chip, it will work the door lock but not the ignition.

If the above quote is from the Stealer, they don't need anymore business from you, do they?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Dealers make alot of money off of these keys. Glad none of mine are like that.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
No doubt this quote is from the Stealer. You can do better than that with any good locksmith.

IIRC you can have a key cut to the car's VIN (key code) that does not have the chip, it will work the door lock but not the ignition.

If the above quote is from the Stealer, they don't need anymore business from you, do they?
I am far from being a STEALER. I just don't see why the dealers force us to buy these things. I've been driving since I was 16 (I'm 46 now) and have never had a car stolen from me in all of the years that I was driving with the keys made the old way. It just seems like another excuse to jack the prices up.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
Another reason why I prefer older cars

Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
I am far from being a STEALER. I just don't see why the dealers force us to buy these things. I've been driving since I was 16 (I'm 46 now) and have never had a car stolen from me in all of the years that I was driving with the keys made the old way. It just seems like another excuse to jack the prices up.
It's supply and demand in most cases. Most motorists WANT these keys, and providing both is cost ineffective.

Now encoded keys do work as a deterrent towards simple car theft (does little to stop a professional.), what drives prices up to the levels you'll see for a key today is all the added creature comforts we want. In my car (a 98 Corolla) the keys are encoded, but I still have to use them to manually open the doors etc.

Of course this makes them cheaper than newer keys, though still a fair bit more expensive than a $2 piece of metal. That said, Toyota locks are notorious for failing, especially door locks. So far I've changed one, one doesn't work anymore and one if now beginning to fail. You got to wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to have an electronic opener on the key instead of replacing all these locks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive