Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,281,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am far from being a STEALER. I just don't see why the dealers force us to buy these things. I've been driving since I was 16 (I'm 46 now) and have never had a car stolen from me in all of the years that I was driving with the keys made the old way. It just seems like another excuse to jack the prices up.
M3 Mitch meant STEALER as in stealership (car dealership).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 AM

534 posts, read 2,410,866 times
You didnt lock yourself out, any locksmith could get you in if you had. You lost not one, but both keys that came with the car i suppose. (maybe even 3, the valet key which starts the car, but dont open the trunk).
Now the dealership has to look up by vin which key blank to give you, cut it and a have a tech program it to your car. (you should also have them kill the other 2 keys on the car, and just have this one be live if you dont actually possess any of them.
They required you to buy computer keys because honda was tired of being at the top of the list for stolen cars several years in a row, now they are that much harder to steal. (which actually COSTS honda money... im sure they did pretty well selling the parts to put all the 95-96 accords back together with). Most other brands have gone the same direction and yes it sucks paying $100 plus for a key.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,057 times
One convenience of the electronic keys is that any dealership can have you a new key in 5 minutes.

I'm surprised your Honda key costs more than a Mercedes key.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,026,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
One convenience of the electronic keys is that any dealership can have you a new key in 5 minutes.

I'm surprised your Honda key costs more than a Mercedes key.
The local San Diego Honda wanted to charge me $102 for Labor + $60 for parts. That is why I am so upset.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Quote:
I am far from being a STEALER. I just don't see why the dealers force us to buy these things. I've been driving since I was 16 (I'm 46 now) and have never had a car stolen from me in all of the years that I was driving with the keys made the old way. It just seems like another excuse to jack the prices up.
I'm saying the quote is from a Honda dealer (stealer). Stealer = Dealer who charges too much.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Quote:
The local San Diego Honda wanted to charge me $102 for Labor + $60 for parts. That is why I am so upset.
Like I said, call a locksmith. Again, I am reasonably certain you can get a "dumb" key that won't start the car, but will unlock the door.

You can hide one or more "dumb" keys somewhere on the car, these will let you get out of a lock-out situation but won't let a thief start the car if said thief finds them.

Are you in San Diego or San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive