Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is the dealer pulling a scam?

Isn't the answer always yes?
if you dont know what you are talking about and have nothing to add, why post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
A correction to my earlier post, it seems that "document fees" and "dealer prep fees" are slightly different. Maybe or maybe not, I am still confused.

What Fees Should You Pay? (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/117494/article.html - broken link)

My point still stands however, it's the out the door price that matters. If one didn't have a dealer prep fee then that fee would be built into the sales price of the car. We all know the real reason for these add-on charges - it's for the dealer to quote a person one cost, and then sneak the extra costs at the end when they are ready to sign. The solution, again, make sure you get a quote for ALL the fees, and you can still get a good price for a car even with the BS fees added, assuming you are doing the proper competitive shopping around.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
All industries have BS fees. You see Admin fees all the time from body shops, salvage yards, insurance companies, etc. They usually charge $150. Basically, they are charging you because they are employed. Basically, they are stating we have to fee you because my position cost the company money and they need it back. Extremely stupid logic because its a part of business. However, auto related industry do it because they can and it is 100% profit even though they don't do much.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
All industries have BS fees. You see Admin fees all the time from body shops, salvage yards, insurance companies, etc. They usually charge $150. Basically, they are charging you because they are employed. Basically, they are stating we have to fee you because my position cost the company money and they need it back. Extremely stupid logic because its a part of business. However, auto related industry do it because they can and it is 100% profit even though they don't do much.

exactly!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That's what they said, everyone does it and there isn't a way for them to exclude it... but I don't know, it stinks... I think its all padding their pockets...

That's absolute bull****. Tell them to take it off or you walk.

They are already reimbursed by the manufacturer for prep work.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That's absolute bull****. Tell them to take it off or you walk.

They are already reimbursed by the manufacturer for prep work.
wow things must be different down there... every dealer here has D&H its already on the paperwork and it cant be taken off.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So they give me the total price but then with financing they list the DMV fees and the Sales tax... then there is a big whopping $500 "Processing Fee" and they explained it as "getting the car cleaned and ready, financing paperwork, etc"... for $500? Huh? Does that sound like a scam to anyone? It seems to me they are padding their pockets...
$500 is a scam. You should only be charged a doc fee which is around $150

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
wow things must be different down there... every dealer here has D&H its already on the paperwork and it cant be taken off.

Yes, it can. I just bought a car and the dealer tried to pull that on me. I had him remove it and I just payed the doc fee. 'Getmeoutofhere' is correct. They might not be willing to pull it off because you are usually late into the negotiations and dealers know you are not likely to fight them on $500. This is why you should never fall in love with a car to the point you can't walk away. This is why you should never limit your car buying to your immediate area. Use edmunds and shop nationally. There is always a dealer that works on low margins and high volume and will gladly eliminate those b.s. charges to get your business.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes, it can. I just bought a car and the dealer tried to pull that on me. I had him remove it and I just payed the doc fee. 'Getmeoutofhere' is correct. They might not be willing to pull it off because you are usually late into the negotiations and dealers know you are not likely to fight them on $500. This is why you should never fall in love with a car to the point you can't walk away. This is why you should never limit your car buying to your immediate area. Use edmunds and shop nationally. There is always a dealer that works on low margins and high volume and will gladly eliminate those b.s. charges to get your business.

They CAN subtract the dealer fee from the price, but they CANNOT take it out of the deal.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
They CAN subtract the dealer fee from the price, but they CANNOT take it out of the deal.
BS

I've been buying cars in the Denver metro area since 1965, and have NEVER paid those Dealer add-on fees.

I don't care whether they had it pre-printed on their forms or not ... when presented with these line items, prep fees, doc fees, medicated coatings for the interior or exterior of the car, undercoating fees, windshield treatments, etc., ... after negotiating an "out the door" final price, before applicable taxes ... I've always caught it and lined it out, and gotten the dealer to agree to drop the fee or we didn't have a deal. It's the price of the car, inland transportation if applicable, and that's it.

Money talks, and if you're capable, qualified, knowledgeable ... you can make deals on merchandise that a dealer needs to move or get off a floor plan or meet a quota .... obviously, if they've got a hot seller at a premium due to market demand, you'll not make a deal on that item, but if you're more realistic about the car you want to buy and not in love, you can always find a dealer willing to do a low margin deal on excess inventory. It just might not be your local dealer, so you'll have to do some searching and negotiating to find who has what you want at a realistic price ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-31-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive