Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
DO NOT buy bolts and nuts at a hardware store unless you are bolting 2X4's together. Hardware store bolts are too soft to use on metal. They are designed for wood, not metal...
Bullshi*.

A grade 5 bolt from a hardware store meets the same quality specs as a Grade 5 Bolt from a Dealer. Likewise, a grade 8 Bolt from a hardware store meets the same quality specs as a Grade 8 bolt from a dealer.

Similarly, the grading system for Metric hardware is the same, 8.8, 12.9 ... and dealers use the same bolts as supplied through the aftermarket, wherever you find it.

Home Depot and Lowes, for example, both have high quality Grade 5 and Grade 8 nut and bolt assortments, with standard washers as well as many specialty washers, lock washers, fender washers, etc.

In my shop, I was called on by many industrial hardware supplier reps for my nut and bolt and specialty fastener assortments, electrical connectors, etc.
Everybody from Dorman to Wurth to World Metric to Curtis Industries to Lawson to many many others. These are the same, identical, route salesman and suppliers that sell hardware assortments to the dealer network. Much of this stuff was OE supplier manufactured, although some suppliers had lower quality items to sell, too. It was easy to spot the difference, and as a quality shop, I only bought the german OE stuff for the cars I worked on.

The car dealers do not buy their standard hardware items from the manufacturer, and that includes many specialty trim screws, fasteners, retainers, nuts/bolts/washers. They buy from the same sources that supply the other retailers. And a high-grade bolt to safely install seat belts is going to come from the same suppliers there as you'd find in other sources. Even many of the "odd" bolts used in the engine compartment come from the same sources that the aftermarket buys from. Many engine fasteners, including head bolts ... are readily available in the aftermarket, although these items are rarely found in a hardware store, but in an automotive parts store.

You can buy low-grade hardware at a commodity price in a box store, but it's the stuff that's sold for $2.99/lb in bulk ... and has no markings on the bolt head to identify it's strength. Obviously, this stuff has no place in an automotive application except for bolting on license plates ... and that's what most dealers use for that application, too ... or for aftermarket radio installations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
A grade 5 bolt from a hardware store meets the same quality specs as a Grade 5 Bolt from a Dealer. Likewise, a grade 8 Bolt from a hardware store meets the same quality specs as a Grade 8 bolt from a dealer.

Similarly, the grading system for Metric hardware is the same, 8.8, 12.9 ... and dealers use the same bolts as supplied through the aftermarket, wherever you find it.

Home Depot and Lowes, for example, both have high quality Grade 5 and Grade 8 nut and bolt assortments, with standard washers as well as many specialty washers, lock washers, fender washers, etc.
This is illuminating. Thanks...

Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Quote:
You can buy low-grade hardware at a commodity price in a box store, but it's the stuff that's sold for $2.99/lb in bulk ... and has no markings on the bolt head to identify it's strength. Obviously, this stuff has no place in an automotive application except for bolting on license plates ... and that's what most dealers use for that application, too ... or for aftermarket radio installations, etc.
Wait ... so you're telling me that drywall screws are NOT suitable for installing my V-Tard super-high-extreme performance type-R/S/V OMGWTFBBQ body kit that I got for a steal off eBay for only $99 (+$700 for freight)?! NOW YOU TELL ME!

But seriously, as long as the replacement is the same spec as the original, you'll be fine getting it from wherever is the most convenient, including the home improvement store.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I go with Honda oem parts because I keep my Hondas forever. One of my Civics has 380k miles and I'm not done driving her yet.

Plus depending on what bolts and fasteners are being replaced, not only is the diameter, length and strength of the bolt important, but also the pitch and density of the threading. So it just seems better and easier for someone that isn't really completely knowledgeable about their car's mechanics and general materials science, that just going to a dealership and buying the right oem spec replacement bolts and fasteners seems the the smartest way to go. Especially because in most cases, the difference in cost will be pennies up to a few dollars.

In the case of Hondas, there are really not that many different bolts and fasteners on their cars. And I have a friend with a personal garage and an organizer full of brand new oem Honda bolts in the neatly labeled drawers. He also owns a factory service manual for each of his Hondas and Acuras.

Otherwise, the O.P. could go to a pick and pull parts yard to see what fasteners he can take off of cars like his that are there for close to free.... if not completely free. Those places are more concerned with selling larger parts or more expensive parts.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,896 times
Quote:
Bullshi*.

In my shop, I was called on by many industrial hardware supplier reps for my nut and bolt and specialty fastener assortments, electrical connectors, etc.
Everybody from Dorman to Wurth to World Metric to Curtis Industries to Lawson to many many others. These are the same, identical, route salesman and suppliers that sell hardware assortments to the dealer network. Much of this stuff was OE supplier manufactured, although some suppliers had lower quality items to sell, too. It was easy to spot the difference, and as a quality shop, I only bought the german OE stuff for the cars I worked on.

The car dealers do not buy their standard hardware items from the manufacturer, and that includes many specialty trim screws, fasteners, retainers, nuts/bolts/washers. They buy from the same sources that supply the other retailers. And a high-grade bolt to safely install seat belts is going to come from the same suppliers there as you'd find in other sources. Even many of the "odd" bolts used in the engine compartment come from the same sources that the aftermarket buys from. Many engine fasteners, including head bolts ... are readily available in the aftermarket, although these items are rarely found in a hardware store, but in an automotive parts store.

My aren't you wonderful...! Some hardware stores do sell grade 5 bolts, most do not. As long as the OP knows what he is looking for, he will be OK, but it's best to buy automotive bolts from an automotive store, and hardware bolts from the hardware store. I can see that you are impreswsed with yourself, I'm not..! I gave good advice, you wanted to blow your own horn...!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,233 times
depends on what stores you have nearby

Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
My aren't you wonderful...! Some hardware stores do sell grade 5 bolts, most do not. As long as the OP knows what he is looking for, he will be OK, but it's best to buy automotive bolts from an automotive store, and hardware bolts from the hardware store. I can see that you are impreswsed with yourself, I'm not..! I gave good advice, you wanted to blow your own horn...!
NO Sir,

you made a blanket condemnation of "hardware store" quality bolts as being unsuitable for automotive use. Which is absolute BS.

As a shop owner of many years, and getting to know the hardware supply reps in the industry who have called upon me, I know for a fact that they call upon any and all shops, retailers, dealerships, and other outlets that sell, use, or supply nuts and bolts. The same assortments I buy from Wurth or Global or Metrix or IBS or similar suppliers are the same identical quality that they supply to the car dealerships. I can even see the assortment racks and paint schemes and logo's on the bins as the same ones in the dealerships ... because they are as attracted to the "free" racks and bins as I am in my shop for purchasing certain minimum quantities of the fasteners. And I can walk into my local hardware stores in Cheyenne, as well as many small towns across the USA (and have done so for field repairs of cars) and readily purchased the quality of nuts and bolts I needed as a professional to accomplish my customer's repairs.

So, if you want to spout your ignorance about the fastener industry ... go ahead. But the OP wanted to know if a Home Depot supply of hardware was acceptable for their car repairs ... and the answer is YES.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
look for a auto parts store that has a fastnher set of draws with such compnaies as Boman. They make most fastners that are used on vehicles. take each one and match;plus be sure they have the same markings on head of bolts showing the grade of bolts tec.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,241 times
Ace Hardware, Do it Best Hardware, sometimes the U-pull it junkyard.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
All good hardware stores have grade 5 and 8 and good grades in metric, NAPA, Pep Boys, VIP Auto, Auto Zone, O' Rielly's etc etc.

Sunsprit is right...

My local hardware store has stainless fitting and chromed fittings too. Motorcycle quality, and better than oem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive