Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

GM recalling Chevrolet Sonics to check brake pads - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/30/4152861/gm-recalling-chevrolet-sonics.html - broken link)
Seems they forgot to install brake pads on some of the Chevrolet Sonic. Wonder if these workers also took booze and pot lunch breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM

133 posts, read 173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Seems they forgot to install brake pads on some of the Chevrolet Sonic. Wonder if these workers also took booze and pot lunch breaks.
Most likely. Or it could be that GM never learns a lesson. Yep weed probably has something to with it.

If GM really wants to improve their quality then the company CEO needs to make random visits to dealers around the country and buy actual dealer stock cars that anyone else would get during a sale.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
GM recalling Chevrolet Sonics to check brake pads - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/30/4152861/gm-recalling-chevrolet-sonics.html - broken link)
Having retired from a major heavy equipment company I can tell you that this sounds like product that was let out of the "bone yard" where product with known defects were kept until completed to early.

This only happens when management overrides their own safety system to get product "out the door" for production numbers.

The UAW had nothing to do with this problem.............

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 12-31-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
GM needs to get UAW out the door so they have control over their work force, otherwise we will just be bailing them out again or they will go completely under. How can you expect them to build a quality vehicle when the workers can smoke dope and get drunk and if the company tries to fire them, they just file a grievance with the union. I would pad lock the gates and shut the place down before I would ever put up with that mess if I was the CEO.

I used to be die hard GM but I finally got fed up with their junk and moved to imports. I bought a 1993 Honda Accord for a gas saver/grocery getter/back up that was already 10 years old when I bought it in 2003 and would you believe it has been the best car I have every owned even though I have many brand new GM cars. I will probably never buy any more union labor junk again.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
GM needs to get UAW out the door so they have control over their work force, otherwise we will just be bailing them out again or they will go completely under. How can you expect them to build a quality vehicle when the workers can smoke dope and get drunk and if the company tries to fire them, they just file a grievance with the union. I would pad lock the gates and shut the place down before I would ever put up with that mess if I was the CEO.

I used to be die hard GM but I finally got fed up with their junk and moved to imports. I bought a 1993 Honda Accord for a gas saver/grocery getter/back up that was already 10 years old when I bought it in 2003 and would you believe it has been the best car I have every owned even though I have many brand new GM cars. I will probably never buy any more union labor junk again.
This is the voice of anger. Not the voice of reason.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
What makes you think a low-paid worker, probably an illegal, would do any better?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default UAW screws up

Quote:

It's a management foul-up.

The UAW doesn't schedule production or logistics. Union workers follow the directions of management. GM has tolerated poor management for decades. Their corporate culture is so deeply ingrained with incompetence it may never dig out of the hole they've created for themselves.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
At the end of the day it's always the decisions makers fault...but I'm not going to blame them on not installing the brake pads, i'd blame them for having poor hiring practices and negotiating poor union contracts that prohibits the firing of unqualified employees...the only one directly responsible for not installing the brake pads, is the yahoo who forgot to put them in!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
This is an internal issue that GM will have til it's dying day...which probably won't be far off. My bud Ed Whitacre left GM after one year because of the constant internal bickering and no one wanting to fix the issues. It's been screwed up so long that it's not fixable anymore unless you fire everybody and start over, something the dimwits are not going to do to their cash cow. But ultimately, it's the guy on the line that is the issue here. He should have stopped the line and walked off before letting it continue. That's the way they do it at the Toyota plant in San Antonio. And that line doesn't move until things are right. They have something GM will never know about- pride in their product. I see this as just another nail in the coffin of a dying company. It should have been left to die years ago.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I'm no UAW supporter (far from it) but I believe the Sonic is build in Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive