Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Backseat Driver: 2.7 million miles and still counting - Projo Cars Blog

At last count I saw it had 2.7 million miles on it.

You need to be concerned with cosmetic and mechanical items if you want your car to last a really long time.

That means washing it at least once a month if not more, and waxing with a high quality hard wax every 3-4 months. Store it indoors and when it's outside try to park under shade or AT LEAST use sun visors to protect the interior. If your seats are leather apply leather conditioner every few months and remember to clean your interior reguarlaly. Don't eat or drink in the car.

As far as mechanicals go I would replace your entire cooling system (hoses, t-stat, radiator) on cycle. Maybe hoses/t-stat every 3-4 years and radiator every 8 or so. If you lose a hose your car will overheat and potentially blow a head gasket. That is an expensive repair and it might damage the engine beyond repair.

Any car can last "forever" it depends on how much money you want to put into it. I have a 15 year old Volvo w/ 160k on it, I plan to keep it a long time, and in doing so I am going to swap in a manual transmission so I don't have to worry about getting a rebuilt auto tranny put in. Manuals will last the life of the car if properly treated. Clutches are a wear item but that's about it.

Synthetic oil, synthetic oil, synthetic oil. With high quality oil filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Backseat Driver: 2.7 million miles and still counting - Projo Cars Blog

At last count I saw it had 2.7 million miles on it.
You need to be concerned with cosmetic and mechanical items if you want your car to last a really long time.
That means washing it at least once a month if not more, and waxing with a high quality hard wax every 3-4 months. Store it indoors and when it's outside try to park under shade or AT LEAST use sun visors to protect the interior. If your seats are leather apply leather conditioner every few months and remember to clean your interior reguarlaly. Don't eat or drink in the car.
As far as mechanicals go I would replace your entire cooling system (hoses, t-stat, radiator) on cycle. Maybe hoses/t-stat every 3-4 years and radiator every 8 or so. If you lose a hose your car will overheat and potentially blow a head gasket. That is an expensive repair and it might damage the engine beyond repair.
Any car can last "forever" it depends on how much money you want to put into it. I have a 15 year old Volvo w/ 160k on it, I plan to keep it a long time, and in doing so I am going to swap in a manual transmission so I don't have to worry about getting a rebuilt auto tranny put in. Manuals will last the life of the car if properly treated. Clutches are a wear item but that's about it.
Synthetic oil, synthetic oil, synthetic oil. With high quality oil filters.
That guy is awesome! Here are a few others...

Million Mile Van

Amsoil Synthetic Oil, Million Mile Chevy

Hannaford mayor logs 2 million miles in pickup

Man still drives Lincoln Towncar after more than a million miles

Woman Drives 1970 Camaro Over One Million Miles, Thumbs Nose At Volvo - chevrolet camaro - Jalopnik

Chevy Truck Hits Million Mile Mark with K&N Air Filter Saving Owner up to $1800

Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
There is one common thread that knits all these cars and drivers together......MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE,MAINTENANCE!

These owners follow what I call "Pre-flight checklist" ,just like pilots use on their planes, on their cars all the time.....""Gordon monitors his Volvo's oil, transmission fluid, and coolant levels, as well as the tire pressure, at almost every fuel stop," the article reports. "He also checks all belts and hoses, replacing them when they show signs of wear. Start paying close attention at 50,000 miles and every 50,000 thereafter, he says."

Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If you put that many miles on it in 5 years, then you must be putting alot of highway miles on it. Those are gentle miles. Pontiac engine's aren't known for longivity but you might get lucky. You can make the car last for 250k miles but, things will start breaking, if not in the engine then in the suspension, brakces, transmission, etc., and you will get to a certain point where it will be more cost effective to buy a new car.
But you might get lucky with the gentle highway miles.
Pontiac engines? What the hell are you talking about?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
That's about what I thought.

Mike

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
How to make your car last forever? Don't drive in New England. Salt kills.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
How to make your car last forever? Don't drive in New England. Salt kills.
That is good advice. Our cars here in Nevada might have some heat damage to the interior, but it is nothing compared to the havoc caused to the underbody of car exposed to road salt.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
That's about what I thought.

Mike
The 3800 series is a good motor. I'm serious.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The 3800 series is a good motor. I'm serious.
No, I know. I was agreeing with Linson that Dd714's comment about Pontiac's engines not being 'known for lengevity' was crazy talk. First, there's no such thing as a 'Pontiac' engine, and hasn't been for decades. It's a GM engine, simple as that. Second, as has been mentioned, the 3.8L is a great motor. So is the 4-cylinder used in the smaller Pontiacs. And the LS motors put in the bigger boys? Fuggedaboudit! Can't kill 'em.

Don't know which motor Dd714 was thinking of when he made that comment. Maybe the less-than-stellar 3.1?

Mike

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Auto makers actually make less and less money off the actual sale of the vehicle, in some cases, they've sold vehicles at cost. They make more and more of their money on servicing said vehicles.
very true. In fact they would love to make a 'forever car' They would have a line at the dealerships to buy them.. There is not such thing. Parts wear out., Tell me one mechanical that operate under a cars conditions that last forever. No such animal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive