Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM

418 posts, read 1,091,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mccullough View Post
Clearly, unless you need AWD you should mainly be looking at Toyotas and Hondas.
If you need AWD--Subarus.

As for used police cars, one thing to keep in mind is that the miles on the clock tell you very little. They never turn those things off, so 88,000 miles on the road could be the equivalent of two or three times that with the engine running.
True, but maintenance is good and a detective CV is not run like a trooper CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,929,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I would recommend getting a Chevy Lumina, they are very reliable cars and gets very good gas mileage for a V6 powered midsized sedan
What years?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,642,975 times
An older Nissan Sentra would be wise.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Why all the hatred on the Contour guys I owned one, and it was a good car that never let me down. It was not perfect by any means, but not a POS either. Here is the review I wrote on my Contour 3 years ago....

1995 Ford Contour SE Review (r101086) - Carsurvey.org

Old 01-24-2010, 06:14 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,549,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Grab a copy of Consumer Reports annual auto issue, current or in the last few years at the library. Their data from hundreds of thousands of car owners surveyed per year will give you a better overall assessment of reliability.
I'd like to second this recommendation. Note that the ratings of used cars are from people who own them today. In other words, the ratings of an 01 Taurus are from survey respondents who are driving an 01 Taurus today. You will find some vehicle makes and models from 00 have better reliability records than other vehicle makes and models from 05 or 06. If reliability is important to you, that is something to consider.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,153,279 times
Any model that has a good reputation for going 150k or more and that has been taken care of. Stay away for the very complicated cars because they cost more to maintain.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

170 posts, read 775,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Any model that has a good reputation for going 150k or more and that has been taken care of. Stay away for the very complicated cars because they cost more to maintain.
What models would YOU personally be referring to?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
What models would YOU personally be referring to?
Mainly the Early 90's Corolla and Camry's.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,444,715 times
My complaint with the Contour/Mystique has to do with a bunch of little things that seemed to go wrong with them. A friend had a Countour SVT, purchased new, and had numerous little problems with it, not the drivetrain per se.

Another friend had a Mystique that was given to him (starving grad student car) and he spent more on it than he would have if he had purchased a car. With that one, the door locks would perpetually stop functioning, and I don't mean just the power locks -- something would happen in the door and the only way to get out was to open the door from the outside, not unlike a child lock. That worked fine for a while, until the front windows went out, and then he had to climb in from the back until he could get that problem fixed. IIRC, it had something to do with freezing temps, since I knew someone with a Ranger that had the same problem. It also had numerous rattles, trim pieces were falling off, etc. and I don't know that it had been abused previously. It looked fine from the outside, and it ran, but I don't know about the durability of the interior components.

I had them, at times, as rental cars, and they weren't the worst, but I always thought they were mediocre in terms of performance. And, there was something about the driving position that I did not like.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,589,081 times
I'm gonna give you some straight talk on the Ford Taurus. Great car other than the transmission. V-6 engine very reliable but transmissions usually go at about 125,000 miles. Just rebuild the transmission and keep driving. Engine should be good for over 200,000 miles easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive