Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times

Advertisements

I hear a tick tick noise when am driving my Altima. The sound appears to come close from the dashboard AND tonight I noticed that my brake light and battery light both are ALWAYS ON.

Here is the situation:

1. The hand brake is/was not engaged.
2. checked the brake fluid and its about 80% full
3. Battery - is new, replaced at AutoZone only 3 months ago.

Finally, I thought maybe its the brake pads(wearing out) or the alternator.

I replaced the alternator about 18 months ago(paid about $310).

Using a multimeter, I checked the voltage across the battery terminals and it was about 12.5V and even when I revve the engine the voltage wouldn't increase.
Does this mean the alternator isn't charging or am I missing anything?

Also, whats up with the tick tick noise that I keep hearing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I am not certain about the other stuff, but the fact that your voltage does not go up when you rev the engine and considering the 12.5 V you quote, it appears your car is not charging the battery. That does not necessarily mean your alternator is bad, but this is the most likely thing.

Does the ticking noise go with engine speed, road speed, or is it constant?

Your guess that the brake pads have worn down to the sensor is a good one. Does your Altima have just one light for brake "faults" or does it have several like a BMW? I am guessing the former.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Does the ticking noise go with engine speed, road speed, or is it constant?

Your guess that the brake pads have worn down to the sensor is a good one. Does your Altima have just one light for brake "faults" or does it have several like a BMW? I am guessing the former.
Mitch,

The noise stays constant and am reading some online forms and someone mentioned it could be a relay making a noise

Regarding the voltage, I should be worried if the battery was losing voltage when the engine was turned ON right?

Not sure, how it is in BMW but Atimas have just one light(atleast mine does).

Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Have the codes checked and that will give you a idea what it is with both the battery light and the brake light.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,549,938 times
Battery + Brake Light is Nissan's warning for the alternator. Your alty may have took a proverbial crap.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for their input.

Went to Advance Auto and ordered 'WorldWide Alternator' Part #12003 and then took it to my mechanic to install and now I don't see the brake light nor the battery light ON. so far so good.

Alternator - $199(see the attachment)
Installation - $60
Total - $259 + tax

During installation, I found out that this was a re-manufactured one so that's something to think about. However, this has lifetime warranty.

Link: Alternator by Worldwide - Part 12003 - Advance Auto Parts
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Altima - Brake Light and Battery Light ON-alt.jpg  

Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Most alt's are rebuilt unless a NEW one is purchased from the dealer.

Water under the bridge but a Volt meter would have shown the output of the Alt (max 12.5 volts) if working properly. Normally the Alt puts out 14.5 V but a built in Volt Reg reduces the voltage to 12.5 so as not to cook the battery.

Only advantage to a life time guarantee is if a person intends on keeping the car for many yrs ahead.

I one time paid a shop $98 for a lifetime exhaust system which was very high at that time. Little did they know I would keep the truck for 17-1/2 yrs and they replaced my system more then once during that time...they lost money on me.

Yrs back it was common for people to trade off their car every two yrs so the life time warranty was a money maker.

Some people here from the old school know what I'm referring too.

Steve

Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Battery voltage without the engine running should be around 12.5 to 12.8. after sitting overnight.

At idle, depending on the car and the accessories, alternator output should be at 13.5 to 14.8 to maintain the battery.

Voltage is only part of the test. Amperage will tell you how much voltage the alternator is capable of producing.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Even after I replaced the alternator, I still hear the ticking noise near the dashboard.

I have looked everything to see what it could be but came up empty handed.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Even after I replaced the alternator, I still hear the ticking noise near the dashboard.

I have looked everything to see what it could be but came up empty handed.

Any thoughts?
What year is your Altima? (I have an '07)

Are you sure the noise is coming from behind the instrument panel and not actually coming from the engine or under the hood?
What speed does it occur?
Does it do it sitting still?
When holding the brake?
When accelerating?
Engine cold or hot?
Heater on or off?
When did it start ticking and did anything else start acting up then?
Is it a quick ticking or is it slow or random?
Anything else you can think of?

It's going to be hard to diagnose without seeing it but my first thoughts would be a blend door or an actuator on the heater binding up or the speedometer head if it only does it when driving.

Again, without hearing and seeing it, who knows?

Nissan Club forums may be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti