Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,920,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am a little confused here. My car is FWD, and the spark plugs and exhaust manifold gasket are very simple to replace. I did the spark plugs in less than 5 minutes:

Yea, four cylinders. Try a V6 or V8 fwd vehicle. That is if you can even access the other side of the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Just wondering, how many of you rather do your own car maintenance than to take it into a mechanic?

I know how to fix some things (anything interior, or changing out lights/bulbs, easy to reach engine parts), but others I just don't want to be bothered with e.g. anything that requires me to jack up a car and go underneath, changing fluids, etc.

Whats your take? Is there a time where its better to do yourself or better to take to a mechanic?
DIY on everything.

The only thing I've ever had a professional mechanic do is rebuild an automatic transmission on one of my sons' Chevy S-10.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Quote:
I am a little confused here. My car is FWD, and the spark plugs and exhaust manifold gasket are very simple to replace. I did the spark plugs in less than 5 minutes:
You got one of the easy ones.

I had a 1990 Cutlass Supreme with the 3.1 V6. Fantastic car (drove it over 300,000 miles), but changing out the 3 spark plugs facing the firewall was a major-league painus in the anus!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
True, but the same can be said for RWD's with V8's. I remember reading a thread recently about it being nearly impossible to change the spark plugs on a new Ford full size truck.
A lot of modern vehicles today are impossible to work on. Smaller engine compartments and tons of damn plastic.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,883,437 times
Quote:
True, but the same can be said for RWD's with V8's. I remember reading a thread recently about it being nearly impossible to change the spark plugs on a new Ford full size truck.
In most instances, on a RWD there is a lot more room for access to either side of the engine, where on a FWD V6 or V8 you have limited access to the firewall side of the engine.

As for the plugs on a Ford truck, from coils going bad at random to the hood seal leaking rain water and shorting the rear coils, it was just a poor design from the start. Not to mention the 5.4 spark plug fiasco.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
In most instances, on a RWD there is a lot more room for access to either side of the engine, where on a FWD V6 or V8 you have limited access to the firewall side of the engine.
I remember I could crawl in the hood of my '86 C10 Silverado and actually sit comfortably inside to work on the engine. I can with my '98 K but it's so much smaller than the '86 was. There getting so small now your lucky to get your hand anywhere in the engine compartment.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 43,438 times
If I have a mechanic I can trust, I would say it depends on. I have seen too many stupid/bad thing done by dealerships as well as other mechanics too be trusty. The last mechanic I gave a try after just buying a car. Since I wanted all the fluids too be changed I asked him to take it for a test drive since I just bought the car and I said it pulled to the right and seemed to sway somewhat when steering. After that he said that I needed to turn it in for another service if I wanted it corrected. I said that I'll wait for now, went home and filled up the right front and rear tires again with air(released the air down to 60% of recommended air pressure before turning it in)...

Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,723,244 times
Quote:
Hmmm...you might be a bit too cautious, and I find that generally annoys ANY mechanic LOL. I just try to put my trust into them (key word: try). And when it comes down to something I can't do, thats my only choice.
I rather just avoid any confrontation all together and stay in my own garage . I make far too LITTLE money to risk handing it over to hack.

Quote:
Now, one thing I will do even if I take to mechanic is buy my own parts and oils. They tend to put cheap ****, I need to know what they are putting in there. I think its fair that they give us a choice of what quality part they are putting in.
Thats the best way to do it... don't even ask them if you can. Just buy the stuff and give it to them, letting them do their own thing is just another way for you to get scammed.

Quote:
Otherwise, JTraik...you are looking sexy on the photo may need you to come here and work on this with me (car that is
Haha, thanks! I am always up for a little bit of freelancing... also willing to work on trade .

Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM

25 posts, read 201,213 times
I would do everything myself, except I live in an apartment that doesn't allow auto repair to be done in the parking lot. Instead I have to drive over to a friend's house to use their garage.

So far i've done:
-Break pads
-New radiator
-New coolant hoses/clamps
-Flushed coolant from engine
-Air filters (easiest thing of all to replace)
-Battery (2nd easiest)
-Headlight bulbs
-Left-rear brake light housing (just 2 screws and it pops out, on my car)

The best investment I ever made was in a floor jack and some jack stands. I didn't buy anything fancy either, just went down to Wal-Mart and bought a $60 combo set jack+stands+blocks. It paid for itself the first time I changed my brake pads. The only thing I take my car in for are oil changes and tune-ups (spark plugs and belts). $40 for an oil change with fluid top-ups, tire pressure checks, and window cleanings is worth it to me. Also saves me from having to deal with the proper recycling of the oil. The belts and spark plugs I just get done by a local mechanic since I can't afford to screw-up the engine

Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
I keep a car until the warrantee expires then I trade it. I used to do alot of my own maintenence but now I buy cars and trucks that are covered by an extended warrantee or service plan. I practically rebuilt my last (emphasis on last) Ford truck. I spent more time UNDER the truck than IN it. That was my turning point. I CAN do it I CHOOSE not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive