Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about cars.

However, I do know some things are easy to replace-- and I can easily do them myself by visiting an O'Reilly Autoparts or similar store.

Recently my mechanic wanted to charge me $16 to replace a brake light and $40 to replace an air filter. When I know air filters cost $15 and brake lights are about $3. That is a $38 service charge!! It takes about 5 seconds to replace these things.

What other things can you think of that you shouldn't pay a mechanic to help you with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Mechanics are entitled to a fair wage as well as a normal charge for overhead and capital investments.

I don't know what you do for a living but will you sell your expertise five minutes at a time with no charge for tools and sell materials for your cost?

I demand competence but not charity.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Mechanics are entitled to a fair wage as well as a normal charge for overhead and capital investments.

I don't know what you do for a living but will you sell your expertise five minutes at a time with no charge for tools and sell materials for your cost?

I demand competence but not charity.
Would you pay someone to screw in a light bulb? (No)
Would you pay someone to diagnose a problem with your car, and go about fixing a complicated mechanical issue? (Yes)

Mechanics offer a valued service as far as doing work that the average person can't do... I'm just wondering what other work is easy that Mechanics want to charge for (i.e. Replacing an air filter or brake light)

Don't get all upset. Nothing wrong with someone doing simple jobs on their car themselves...

Oh and usually people earn a wage when it is something the person paying doesn't know how, can't do, or doesn't wish to do themselves. No one pays people for doing something they can easily do themselves, especially if they have the motivation to do it themselves-- that is just ridiculous.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I'm just wondering what other work is easy that Mechanics want to charge for (i.e. Replacing an air filter or brake light)
Want to charge for? They have the right to charge for any work someone has them do, no matter how simple. If people can't/ don't want to do it for themselves then they pay to get it done, no different in any other industry.

And you's be surprised how difficult it is to change some light bulbs, my boss had a headlight go out in his Equinox, you have to remove the grill and headlight housing to do it, not a 2 minute job.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Want to charge for? They have the right to charge for any work someone has them do, no matter how simple. If people can't/ don't want to do it for themselves then they pay to get it done, no different in any other industry.

And you's be surprised how difficult it is to change some light bulbs, my boss had a headlight go out in his Equinox, you have to remove the grill and headlight housing to do it, not a 2 minute job.
OK-- of course they have the right to charge for whatever they want. But can we get back to the question asked? And stop getting off topic?

What are typically "easy" things to fix on a car?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Years ago a boyfriend helped me learn how to do my own tune-ups, oil-changes and all manner of small repairs. In fact I re-wired an old Ford truck by myself and not only have changed a tire, but have changed a tire for a man. LOL! (I'm female.)

But. I am older now and have a bit more discretionary income. Changing the oil in my two vehicles would take a couple of hours all told and then I would have to find a way to dispose of the old oil. I can do it, yes....but it would save me less than $10.00! Which is under $5.00 an hour, for doing something I do not find fun. So, yeah, I take my vehicles to an indie shop whee they charge $19.99 for an oil change and general fluids check.

I do not begrudge paying normal shop prices to a good shop. $38 for "five seconds" worth of work is fine! Cheap, probably. You are paying for taxes, insurance, experience, experience, experience, shop rental, tools, liability, and the ability to come back and get something fixed if it's not done right. Last time I paid someone "under the table" to do a simple thing on my old truck, he overlooked something minor....cost me a bunch of aggravation and in the end I still had to pay the shop up the road to fix it right. A few years ago I agreed to have a shop replace a heater blower (those things aren't cheap) with an after-market one. It saved me $200, but that's been almost 4 years of having an annoyingly noisy and ineffective heater and defroster.

Lesson learned: Do it right the first time~!

I replace lightbulbs and windshield wipers and fluids and air, that's about it. Anything else goes to the shop.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
OK-- But can we get back to the question asked? And stop getting off topic?

What are typically "easy" things to fix on a car?
Your definition of easy and mine are probably 2 different things, it all depends on the vehicle, your skill, tools at hand, and willingness to research and learn.

But in general, light bulbs, air filter, wiper blades, oil if you don't mind geting dirty, spark plugs (in some vehicles anyway), washer fluid.

Going off topic is a given in almost any thread, seems to be almost a sure thing here.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Found this good list on it

Top 10: Car Repairs You Shouldn't Pay For - AskMen.com

Don't know if I'd do some of those though

Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Changing disc brake pads, replacing calipers, changing headlights, air filters, engine oil, and brake fluid - I did this all by myself. I also replaced a bad ignition cylinder in my Civic HX. I can also do Honda valve adjustments.

I don't do drum brakes, window motor replacement, or car key door replacement. I let a mechanic replace the starter motor on my minivan because it was a hassle, but I replaced the starter motor on my Honda college car back in 1990.

Find a cheap and good mechanic and let them do the hard work. Like changing the inside 3 spark plugs of a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Edit...way back when I had older vehicles (the old Ford truck, an old Chrysler, I am talking 60s and 70s) I absolutely swore by Chilton manuals. Seriously, I rewired my old truck mostly with that as a guide mostly by myself. I also rebuilt a carburetor,and did all sorts of other repairs using Chiltons.

It's been so long since I did much to any of my own vehicles....I also refuse the oil-change place air filter, sheesh I can and do replace those. Coolant changes are easy, you just have to be very careful about discarding old coolant. Oil changes and basic tune-up stuff is also really easy. But whan you factor in retail prices for parts/filter/oil, then factor in tools and convenience (like having a warm, dry place to work) and fluid disposal....really it might only save you a dollar or two. There's a GM dealer near my that does $14.99 oil changes - and they will also check and refill all your other fluids included...that is a totally good deal, since you get to sit in the waiting room reading magazines for 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive