Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,803 times

Advertisements

I've always been the kind of guy who doesn't believe in paying someone else to do something I can do for myself. However, as I've gotten older, I've come to realize some things just aren't worth the aggravation.

For example, I have completely rebuilt and installed engines and transmissions in many vehicles, but when the trans axle in the mini van crapped out, I had a local transmission shop install a rebuilt one...

Why? Because just looking at it and determining what is involved to pull it demonstrated to me it sucks too much to contemplate any further....

I suppose it's the same reason people hire me, a plumber, to come and perform simple repairs on their plumbing. Even though they may be very capable of doing it themselves, changing out a sewage ejector pump is just no fun at all......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Down here, mechanics don't even charge for things like that.

I had a headlight out in Weslaco TX, so I bought a bulb in an auto parts store, but first I had tried to get the old one out, and couldn't. I asked the desk man where I could have it installed, and he recommended a garage next door. The garage owner went out himself and tried to change it, but couldn't, so he got one of his mechanics with smaller hands to reach in there and turn it loose, and put in the new one. No charge.

Here in town, I took my car to an inspection station for the sticker, and I liked the way they handled it, so I went back a couple weeks later when I had a few more things I wanted checked out. They guy spent maybe a half hour, checking the codes, looking at a few other things, and he actually adjusted a couple of things, I can't remember what. When I said "How much", he said "I didn't do anything". No charge. Needless to say, I went back there when I had some work I needed to pay for. He charges $12 to change my oil, and I buy the oil and filter myself at whatever auto parts store has a good special that week.

It's a similar philosophy to a boss I used to work for, who said "The best way to make money is to give it away, It'll come back, and then some."

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Down here, mechanics don't even charge for things like that.

I had a headlight out in Weslaco TX, so I bought a bulb in an auto parts store, but first I had tried to get the old one out, and couldn't. I asked the desk man where I could have it installed, and he recommended a garage next door. The garage owner went out himself and tried to change it, but couldn't, so he got one of his mechanics with smaller hands to reach in there and turn it loose, and put in the new one. No charge.

Here in town, I took my car to an inspection station for the sticker, and I liked the way they handled it, so I went back a couple weeks later when I had a few more things I wanted checked out. They guy spent maybe a half hour, checking the codes, looking at a few other things, and he actually adjusted a couple of things, I can't remember what. When I said "How much", he said "I didn't do anything". No charge. Needless to say, I went back there when I had some work I needed to pay for. He charges $12 to change my oil, and I buy the oil and filter myself at whatever auto parts store has a good special that week.

It's a similar philosophy to a boss I used to work for, who said "The best way to make money is to give it away, It'll come back, and then some."
I live in Fort Worth... where can I find these mechanics that don't charge me $40+ for an oil change?

The cheapest I've ever found around here was $30... should I go to smaller shops?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,629,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I don't know much about cars.

However, I do know some things are easy to replace-- and I can easily do them myself by visiting an O'Reilly Autoparts or similar store.
But, did O'Reilly tell you why they failed prematurely?? Why are you replacing them each week?

Cherrios, please do not let me buy your used piece of crap.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
I live in Fort Worth... where can I find these mechanics that don't charge me $40+ for an oil change?

The cheapest I've ever found around here was $30... should I go to smaller shops?
You missed the point that he charges me $12 to change the oil, but I bring my own oil and filter. I bought 5 quarts of Castrol synthetic and a high-grade filter on sale at an auto parts store for $17, so that's $29 for a synthetic change. Would have been about $22 for dino oil and a Fram.

Go across the tracks and find a shop with a hand-painted sign that says "Taller Mecanico". They'll do it cheap.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,144,369 times
When people like doctors and lawyers and high buck bankers get their cars worked on they should get done like they do everyone else. Let every little item be very very expensive............some people dont deserve a break on prices.never

Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You missed the point that he charges me $12 to change the oil, but I bring my own oil and filter. I bought 5 quarts of Castrol synthetic and a high-grade filter on sale at an auto parts store for $17, so that's $29 for a synthetic change. Would have been about $22 for dino oil and a Fram.

Go across the tracks and find a shop with a hand-painted sign that says "Taller Mecanico". They'll do it cheap.
I might just start changing my own oil. Where do you go to dispose of oil though?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
But, did O'Reilly tell you why they failed prematurely?? Why are you replacing them each week?

Cherrios, please do not let me buy your used piece of crap.
Replacing what each week?

I'm replacing the air filter ever 15,000 miles
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles-- although sometimes 4 - 5,000 miles.

And no, I don't plan on selling my "used piece of crap"-- what do you mean by that anyway? Are you implying that people who replace their own brake lights and air filters can't do it correctly?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
Quote:
I might just start changing my own oil. Where do you go to dispose of oil though?
At your local community recycling center if you have one, some shops will take it for a fee.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Also, the amount of rudeness on this forum is unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive