Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 AM

864 posts, read 1,453,831 times

Advertisements

but in recent weeks, my 2006 Nissan Altima (around 78,000 miles on it) has started to shudder a bit when I start it up. It also seems to run rougher than it should. When it was taken in (to our regular mechanic...we do trust these guys), they checked it out underneath, but I don't think they ran diagnostics. Any ideas of what could be causing this? (well, other than the obvious one of taking it back in and asking for diagnostics). Thanks so much.

Last edited by NoDoubt1993; 08-15-2012 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 AM

580 posts, read 449,701 times
Possibly a broken motor mount.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:05 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
has the car received the required routine maintenance items?

is it possible that you've received a contaminated load of fuel that may have obstructed the fuel filter?

is the air filter and intake tract clean?

are there any intake tract vacuum leaks?

are all the emission system components functioning properly?

have you been running any fuel injection system cleaner?

Any one of the above items can cause minor running problems without triggering a check engine light and DTC code.

the list of possibilities for causation of minor running irregularities are numerous; your mechanic may not have run "diagnostics" on this car because there's no "check engine" light on indicating a DTC set by the computer. Nevertheless, bringing up the real-time data stream may indicate a problem with a sensor, such as an oxygen sensor, that is performing marginally but not poorly enough to set a code.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times
Try a higher grade of gasoline and see if that helps.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I agree with cj...check the motor mounts. My Wrangler had the same problem and sure enough one of the mounts was busted.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
Can you clarify "shudder" ?
What shudders, the whole car, or just the engine ?

Does it clear after a second or so, does it happen only from cold, at a certain temperature ?

If they have run diagnostics and found nothing, then it's possibly a failing spark plug or lead. Could also be a choked catalytic converter.

There are 100 things it could be

If they haven't run a diagnostic test, then they probably should, just to rule it out.

At a rough guess, possibly a temperature sender has failed, and the car is either over or underfuelling at startup, similar to a faulty choke on a carburetted car.

Almost impossible to diagnose without physically inspecting the car

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Last two times I had this problem it was worn out spark plug wires.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
If it has a problem your tech can't diagnose, I suggest finding one who can. You will get nothing but WAG (Wild azz guess') asking that question in a forum... and from the sound of the about answers, that is exactly what you got...........

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
but in recent weeks, my 2006 Nissan Altima (around 78,000 miles on it) has started to shudder a bit when I start it up. It also seems to run rougher than it should. When it was taken in (to our regular mechanic...we do trust these guys), they checked it out underneath, but I don't think they ran diagnostics. Any ideas of what could be causing this? (well, other than the obvious one of taking it back in and asking for diagnostics). Thanks so much.
Find a different place to buy your fuel. Bad gas can cause all sorts of problems that a mechanic can't find.

I had a '87 Ford Crown Victoria that ran like crap and the garage could not find the problem. Then one day I had to buy gas out of town ( I always kept my cars full with local gas) finding out the Ford ran great on that out of town gas! Over a period of two months I bought gas everywhere BUT the local station and never had another problem with that car!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM

864 posts, read 1,453,831 times
Thank you all for the input. We've talked to the mechanic again, and will be bringing it in week after next. I will be printing this out to ask him about. I did some research last night and Altimas do have issues with motor mounts. It's a bit of a shudder when you turn over the engine, and then it stops. It's not shaking/vibrating when I'm driving it. They are going to inspect the motor mounts, and take another look underneath (they didn't charge me last time for looking at it, and I do trust these guys). If they don't find anything obvious, they will run diagnostics.

Again, thanks to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive