Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,655 times

Advertisements

No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I use to buy american until my wife got a accord and I saw now relible it was in comparison to the constant 500 dollar you to death americans cars i had after three years. Since then I also have moved to honda and toyotas and am very satisfied with them.I see no reason to change back agai really.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
If and when I buy another vehicle, it will either be a Toyota 4Runner, Rav4, or Subi Forester. Nothing else interests me.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
I still think we have the best full size trucks on the roads today.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
Personally I feel that you should buy what you think is the best value for your money or the vehicle that fits your needs. If American automakers aren't making the product I want/need, I will look elsewhere. I also won't buy from a company that repeatedly puts out bad products that are produced poorly.

If everyone bought American just for the sake of buying local, they have no need to innovate or produce a better product. I'm glad foreign automakers have been taking alot of sales away because it finally woke up Ford and GM that they need to produce better cars and really make better strides on their designs (interior and exterior). I'm actually surprised it took this long to be honest.
pretty much sums up my thoughts, although i'd add that i believe the Ford has really started to turn the corner in the last decade but is having a hard time convincing the public of it. if there is one small positive aspect of the recession for any automaker, it'd be that a lot of people are at least giving Ford a serious look.

personally, up until my current stable (04 Accord, 09 xB, 04 Honda VFR800) i have only ever owned domestic-branded vehicles. it wasn't a conscious decision; they just had what i wanted. i'm perfectly happy with my current vehicles, but no more so than i was with my domestics.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 09-03-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,817,205 times
I was under the impression that a lot of the "foreign" cars on the road today are built mostly in America. I own a Honda Odyssey and I was told it was built in the U.S. I realize that ownership of the companies may be a different story, however.

I would love to own an American car but I can't afford to risk constant car repairs. I had a car like that once and it nearly killed me with repair costs. I have kids now and I need a car that is reliable. We owned a Honda Civic that was 12 years old and had 112,000 miles on it and hardly ever needed a repair. We sold it recently just because it was too small for our 3 kids. It was still running strong. It's hard to come up with a reason why you would want a less reliable car.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
In general the imports especially BMW's are hard to work on. They tend to make their engine bay a cram-fest making you take off like 20 parts just to get to the fuel injectors or to change an air/oil filter. Ok I'm exaggerating a bit but the idea is there.
Have you changed the plugs on a F150?

My Hondas are very easy to work on. Air filters accessible with 4 phillips head screws.

Are fuel injectors easy to service on anything?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
Personally I feel that you should buy what you think is the best value for your money or the vehicle that fits your needs. If American automakers aren't making the product I want/need, I will look elsewhere. I also won't buy from a company that repeatedly puts out bad products that are produced poorly.

If everyone bought American just for the sake of buying local, they have no need to innovate or produce a better product. I'm glad foreign automakers have been taking alot of sales away because it finally woke up Ford and GM that they need to produce better cars and really make better strides on their designs (interior and exterior). I'm actually surprised it took this long to be honest.
I agree with this completely. I do not consider country of origin at all when I choose vehicles. I suppose I might if the vehicles came from a country that openly supported terrorists, but otherwise it is all about meeting my needs at the cost I am willing to pay.

I have owned American and definitely would consider them if the met my requirements.

American vehicles that I think deserve consideration in their categories:

Ford Fusion (and its relatives)
Ford F150/F250
Ford Mustang
Ford Taurus (new model)
Ford Focus
Ford Edge
Ford Flex

Chevy Malibu
Chevy Silverado
Chevy Camaro (though unknown reliability)
Chevy Corvette

Cadillac in general
GMC Acadia (and siblings)

Dodge Ram (new one only)
Dodge Viper

Lincoln MKX
Lincoln siblings of above Fords
Mercury siblings of above Fords

Chrysler corp makes some awful vehicles and very few should be bought. I see no reason at all to reward mediocrity. Korean brands are cheaper and better built.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I still think we have the best full size trucks on the roads today.
I think the new Tundra has proven it is fully competitive with Ford and Chevy. Dodge only now has a respectable truck.

That said - if I wanted a half ton - Ford would be at the top of my list.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
I would love to own an American car but I can't afford to risk constant car repairs.
and there's the problem. the domestics, whether warrranted or not, now have a stigma they CANNOT shake. some might still deserve it; some might not. but even the ones that don't can't get consumers to take a second look.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive