Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times

Advertisements

Typically, German sedans are still governed at 155mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It was called the Gentlemens Agreement. The Germans did something similar by setting their speed limiters at the same level.
It's been done before. By some strange "coincidence" many '60s engines, like the Mopar 426-hemi, Mopar 426 Max Wedge, Chevy 427 and Ford 427 were rated at "425" hp.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
The Genesis sedan is built to a higher quality standard than the SHO. It has a better looking exterior, damn near best in class interior and comes very well equipped. The Genesis coupe, which I didn't like in photos is actually a great looking car in person. I saw a white one for the first time in person several weeks ago and it looks quite a bit beefier and more aggressive than the pictures ever show. I'm not even sure why you mentioned the Genesis coupe when we're considering sedans here, it should be fairly obvious that I am referring to the Genesis sedan.
The Genesis sedan is built pretty well, no doubt, but youre comparing apples to oranges. IMO, the Genesis coupe comes across as cheap, cheap, cheap (especially with the turbo 4), where the SHO feels like the finer automobile. Ive seen several coupes in person and theyre fugly. As I said earlier, looks like a Tiburon and G37 mated. Not exactly a good combo.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
That CTS-V is an impressive car. I saw one run a 5 series at Roebling Roads in Savannah and it was awesome to see.
Im not crazy about the CTS-V, but its performance is incredible. Not only would it wipe the smirk off any snotfaced regular 5-series drivers' face, but it would also hang (and probably beat) with the almighty M5 as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Never really heard that about European makes. I do remember the laughable situation in Japan right up through the end of the 90s where engines putting out 300-plus horsepower were "officially" rated at 280PS (276 HP) because of an unwritten rule there that engines should not exceed that output. That taboo has since been broken.
I still dont know why Nissan is underrating the power of the GT-R still to this day either.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,615,471 times
The M-Series BMW's are phenominal drivers cars. The M3 is by far one of my favorites because of its combonation of styling, handling and power. That said MOST M3 owners I have ever come across are douch bags. Thats why I loved going to BMW days at Roebling Roads in my EVO. In the first couple track hours the ego's go from huge, to making excuses when they get handled by a car thats almost half the price. All that said would I own one YES, can I afford a new one HELL NO, but one thing is for sure if I did have one I wouldnt be one of those big ego douch bags.

I guess we can say the same for some american car owners too. You know, the ones that dog oout anything that isnt an "American" car. Thats just as stupid if you ask me. Like the NASCAR guys where I work, they were up in arms when Toyotas got to run in the Sprint cup series. "It's unamerican!" " We dont need no foreign cars"...news flash ... the only car in NASCAR whose stock version is made in America is the Camry. The Charger and Monte Carlo = Canada and the Fusion = Mexico. Camry = Kentucky. Yeah so they were saying???? LOL

Last edited by Speedaddicted; 06-25-2009 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,272,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
2010 Ford Taurus SHO First Test - Motor Trend
The upcoming Ford Taurus SHO is a real classic sleeper car. Here's a large family sedan with so so looks that could get yawns. However, this model comes with a big horsepower turbo V6 engine and all wheel drive and can do 0-60 in about 5 seconds and the quarter mile in about 13 seconds AND it can handle the curves. God I'd love to pull up to the light in a Ford Taurus next to a ricer kid racer and blow his doors off. Ford is really coming back. Can't wait to see and test drive their Euro based Fiesta when it arrives. Also can't wait for the Euro based Focus to get here.
Looked through the photo album...last few pages are of the old Taurus'. The new one makes the old ones look like turds. Good job Ford.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,111,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Genesis sedan is built pretty well, no doubt, but youre comparing apples to oranges. IMO, the Genesis coupe comes across as cheap, cheap, cheap (especially with the turbo 4), where the SHO feels like the finer automobile. Ive seen several coupes in person and theyre fugly. As I said earlier, looks like a Tiburon and G37 mated. Not exactly a good combo.
I'm comparing apples to apples because my comparison is between the Genesis sedan and the SHO sedan. The Genesis sedan interior is not the same as the coupes and has been compared to Lexus LS quality levels (leather wrapped dash and all). Along with an amazing Lexicon 18 speaker stereo system, some of the softest leather you'll ever feel in the sub $100k price range, swiveling headlights (they rotate to follow curves in the road) and a 375HP V8 the Genesis sedan is in a whole different league compared to the SHO but at the same price point. Simply amazing.

For comparison:

Genesis Sedan: http://image.motortrend.com/f/821390...erior_view.jpg
Genesis Coupe: http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.nachofoto.com/b-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-4dbaa1356741.jpeg (broken link)
SHO: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...2/45008814.jpg

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 06-25-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,615,471 times
Quote:
I'm comparing apples to apples because my comparison is between the Genesis sedan and the SHO sedan. The Genesis sedan interior is not the same as the coupes and has been compared to Lexus LS quality levels (leather wrapped dash and all). Along with an amazing Lexicon 18 speaker stereo system, some of the softest leather you'll ever feel in the sub $100k price range, swiveling headlights (they rotate to follow curves in the road) and a 375HP V8 the Genesis sedan is in a whole different league compared to the SHO but at the same price point. Simply amazing.

For comparison:

Genesis Sedan: http://image.motortrend.com/f/821390...erior_view.jpg
Genesis Coupe: http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.nachofoto.com/b-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-4dbaa1356741.jpeg (broken link)
SHO: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...2/45008814.jpg
Its also appealing to a whole different buyer. The person who's out looking for the extreme luxo car is probably not looking for the twin turbo 6 cylinder either. Price wise the EVO X has the same price tag, but its a different kind of car altogether, which will attract a different type of buyer. I'd compare the SHO buyer to the G37 Sedan buyer, the Maxima buyer, Acura TSX Type S buyer etc.

I think you work for Hyundai.....

Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
I wouldn't call the Genesis an "extreme" luxo car -- that would be something more like a Mercedes S-class. As for people shopping in mid-level luxury territory, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't cross-shop a turbo 6 or a V8. You can get either in the BMW 5-series, for instance. I think in that market category, the result when you step on the pedal is more important than the powerplant delivering the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive