Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times

Advertisements

The industry killed itself by producing awful cars (with a few exceptions) and flushing itself down the toilet. GM and Chrysler were in the crapper long before Obama had any say in it. If Obama didn't take drastic steps who knows how long GM and Chrysler (along with your beloved muscle cars) would still be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The industry killed itself by producing awful cars (with a few exceptions) and flushing itself down the toilet. GM and Chrysler were in the crapper long before Obama had any say in it. If Obama didn't take drastic steps who knows how long GM and Chrysler (along with your beloved muscle cars) would still be around.
This thread isn't about whether you think the quality of certain brands is awful or not, it's about the MPG requirements set by this administration and whether or not certain niche models will get knocked by them. If all the American car companys will able to make is small little European style cars I really don't care if they survive or not, they'd already be dead in my book.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
The standards that were set - IMO - are going to kill the muscle cars, yes. Show me a car that gets 39 MPG and has over 500hp. Fantasy land. And the fact is the bill was signed by Obama because he buys into the stupid global warming BS and that ticks me off. Bush was headed that way? Probably. Didn't like him either. I'd kind of like a president with a brain of his own that can pass laws that make sense. This one doesn't. Actually, I'd like a smaller government that goes back to what this country was based on; doing only what the private sector and local agencies can't shouldn't or wouldn't do. That's the job of our government. And passing laws to help 'save the planet' from something that doesn't exist isn't something the government should be getting involved in.

JMHO

Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The standards that were set - IMO - are going to kill the muscle cars, yes. Show me a car that gets 39 MPG and has over 500hp. Fantasy land.
You realize that the year 2016 is also Fantasy Land as well, right?

And where does the 500hp figure come from? Since when is this the minimum standard for "Muscle Car" ?

Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The standards that were set - IMO - are going to kill the muscle cars, yes. Show me a car that gets 39 MPG and has over 500hp. Fantasy land. And the fact is the bill was signed by Obama because he buys into the stupid global warming BS and that ticks me off. Bush was headed that way? Probably. Didn't like him either. I'd kind of like a president with a brain of his own that can pass laws that make sense. This one doesn't. Actually, I'd like a smaller government that goes back to what this country was based on; doing only what the private sector and local agencies can't shouldn't or wouldn't do. That's the job of our government. And passing laws to help 'save the planet' from something that doesn't exist isn't something the government should be getting involved in.

JMHO
Doesn't make sense? We have a fairly limited usable supply of oil (looking long term here) and a rapidly expanding world consumption rate. Which part of that doesn't explain why efficient motor vehicles are necessary? Sure we could all be completely selfish and look only after our self interests but that wouldn’t make this a very pleasant place to live would it?

Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
You realize that the year 2016 is also Fantasy Land as well, right?

And where does the 500hp figure come from? Since when is this the minimum standard for "Muscle Car" ?
my car puts down 400HP I can beat most cars on the street.I still want to run a challenger SRT8 should be an interesting race my best friend own a 03 mach-1 and it is pretty fast but he has 4.10 and bolt ons oh well i guess this is the end of the new muscle car era

Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
my car puts down 400HP I can beat most cars on the street.I still want to run a challenger SRT8 should be an interesting race my best friend own a 03 mach-1 and it is pretty fast but he has 4.10 and bolt ons oh well i guess this is the end of the new muscle car era
400HP doesn’t say much by itself because a big rig truck can have a 400HP turbo diesel and impress no one at a drag strip. The new Challenger is a heavy pig and not terribly fast for its power output. I'll take a lightly used C6 Vette (which makes less power) over it any day of the week and spank it on a straight while completely destroying it on a track.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
400HP doesn’t say much by itself because a big rig truck can have a 400HP turbo diesel and impress no one at a drag strip. The new Challenger is a heavy pig and not terribly fast for its power output. I'll take a lightly used C6 Vette (which makes less power) over it any day of the week and spank it on a straight while completely destroying it on a track.
the vette seems to fall in a grey area it falls into the sports car catagory my car has the corvette LS2 the only downside is the skip shift on all GM 6-speeds I want to mod it but i have one year left on the warranty and i want to chip it and a more aggresive cam oh well i can hold my own for most cars unless i run into a viper or a vette alot of cars are modded out here seems kid's like to run spray on the streets

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-22-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the vette seems to fall in a grey area it falls into the sports car catagory my car has the corvette LS2 the only downside is the skip shift on all GM 6-speeds I want to mod it but i have one year left on the warranty and i want to chip it and a more aggresive cam
Yeah, the skip shift was used to increase MPG under daily driving conditions (I believe it also avoids the gas guzzler tax) but it can be fairly easily circumvented.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the skip shift was used to increase MPG under daily driving conditions (I believe it also avoids the gas guzzler tax) but it can be fairly easily circumvented.
yeah just have to get the the rpm's up they only use it on GM though ford and chrylser seems to run it but they use them on the GT500 and the viper so i guess they already get hit by the gas guzzler tax I wionder if the ZR-1 uses it I heard that 6 is not over drive it is a real 6-speed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive