Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,706,842 times

Advertisements

did anyone have this light on, and wonder what now? Did anyone, also
after reading the book etc., and the light still is on go to the dealer? Then
just an estimate on 90.00 plus? Then, the advisor, said he did set me free
it was the gas cap! They did a reset, is this normal, I was real happy!
I guess depends on the dealer? I got off without 90.00 in a 2 minute check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,157,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
did anyone have this light on, and wonder what now? Did anyone, also
after reading the book etc., and the light still is on go to the dealer? Then
just an estimate on 90.00 plus? Then, the advisor, said he did set me free
it was the gas cap! They did a reset, is this normal, I was real happy!
I guess depends on the dealer? I got off without 90.00 in a 2 minute check.
Nowadays the check engine light can pop on for the gas cap and unbalanced tires(if you have the sensor). Alot of times it can only be reset by the dealer too. What an annoyance.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,895,972 times
After the problem is solved, the code will go off after 50 cycles of the ignition switch. Resetting it with a scan tool, as the dealer does is faster, but the code will go off by it's self after 50 cycles..
Most places will do it as a courtesy if it is as simple as tightening the gas cap.
YOu learned a cheap lesson, tighten the gas cap properly...! It is a VERY common problem, people get in too much hurry...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,700,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
After the problem is solved, the code will go off after 50 cycles of the ignition switch. Resetting it with a scan tool, as the dealer does is faster, but the code will go off by it's self after 50 cycles..
Most places will do it as a courtesy if it is as simple as tightening the gas cap.
YOu learned a cheap lesson, tighten the gas cap properly...! It is a VERY common problem, people get in too much hurry...
Is 50 cycles standard? Or does it vary some by make and model? We had the "gas cap induced check engine light" once on my wife's 2001 New Beetle. We figured it out and tightened the cap. If I remember right, the light went off after only a day or two.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
My new Honda actually tells you when its the gas cap.Tighten or put the gas cap on and its goes off after a few miles.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,477,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Is 50 cycles standard? Or does it vary some by make and model? We had the "gas cap induced check engine light" once on my wife's 2001 New Beetle. We figured it out and tightened the cap. If I remember right, the light went off after only a day or two.
Yeah my 98 Jetta will kill the light pretty quickly on its own as well.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM

458 posts, read 1,671,882 times
I wish it had just been the dang gas cap when MY check engine light went on. BAH.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,930 times
The "Check Engine" light is as vague as it gets. And if you get the codes run it gives you a half dozen or more ideas as to what could be wrong. OK...yeah that tells me nothing. Thanks a lot!

If they are going to go all techy on cars why don't they have an on board diagnostic that will actually diagnose something? Give me a message on my dash that says exactly what is wrong instead of something that indicates a hundred possibilities of what's wrong. ...I guess maybe I'm asking for too much though.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,918,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The "Check Engine" light is as vague as it gets. And if you get the codes run it gives you a half dozen or more ideas as to what could be wrong. OK...yeah that tells me nothing. Thanks a lot!

If they are going to go all techy on cars why don't they have an on board diagnostic that will actually diagnose something? Give me a message on my dash that says exactly what is wrong instead of something that indicates a hundred possibilities of what's wrong. ...I guess maybe I'm asking for too much though.
Exactly. My check Engine light was on, codes said bad Vehicle Speed Sensor so I replaced it. Engine light still on--turned out the Instrument Cluster was bad

Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,856,685 times
For $95 I bought an OBDII meter. It tells me what's wrong and resets the light. We had a check engine light come on in the Subaru Forester and it said "too lean". I checked the air filter and it was dirty. Replaced the filter and reset the check engine light. No more problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive