Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM

52 posts, read 153,515 times

Advertisements

Nothing seems to be wrong with the car and I drove it for a few days to see if it would just turn off on its own but no luck.

Next stop - repair shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,668 times
next stop autozone, have them hook it up to the reader and tell you whats wrong with it,

its free so theres no "is he telling me the truth?" involved

then onto the repairshop

my roommates car was running with the check engine light on, everything was fine.

turns out he had a hole in the vacuum tubes.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
what kind of car? miles? etc?

Its impossible to tell what a check engine light is for without knowing the code that tripped the CEL. As said above, get it scanned and see whats up.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
next stop autozone, have them hook it up to the reader and tell you whats wrong with it,

its free so theres no "is he telling me the truth?" involved

then onto the repairshop

my roommates car was running with the check engine light on, everything was fine.

turns out he had a hole in the vacuum tubes.
Autozone has something they can hook up and read what's wrong with a car?

Cool. I need to get one of those.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Just realize that the code will tell you the systemic failure (EGR circuit, MAF circuit, etc.) i.e. the part that is being affected by the problem. I'm a dealer parts guy, and people are always bring in a slip from AutoZone asking for "the" part.

It's often not that simple, and you can spend a lot of money on non-returnable parts finding that out.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Just realize that the code will tell you the systemic failure (EGR circuit, MAF circuit, etc.) i.e. the part that is being affected by the problem. I'm a dealer parts guy, and people are always bring in a slip from AutoZone asking for "the" part.

It's often not that simple, and you can spend a lot of money on non-returnable parts finding that out.
But the other guy said Autozone could hook up and say what the problem is and it's free and truthful.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
But the other guy said Autozone could hook up and say what the problem is and it's free and truthful.
i think you're being sarcastic, but its hard to tell.

I think what the other poster means is ...... knowing the fault code NARROWS down the issue. My cars will throw a CEL for not tightening the gas cap all the way.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

true, but i didn't spend any money at autozone, i went to my local repairshop and he verified the claim and replaced the tube (took a bit of work since they have to go over every vacuum tube or something) and my roommates car got fixed.

simple.

Quote:
are you trying to be an ass to me? or do you just make rude comments to everyone? i've been chill about your tidbits, calling my questions "weird" or "not as good as yours" please get off my nuts.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 08-23-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
They think they're giving you the root of the problem, but shops don't charge a diag fee for nothing. The shop will scan the onboard computer (like AZ is doing) and take that info to dive into the system in question with further testing to determine the root cause.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
i think you're being sarcastic, but its hard to tell.

I think what the other poster means is ...... knowing the fault code NARROWS down the issue. My cars will throw a CEL for not tightening the gas cap all the way.
yes he is being sarcastic, anytime i make a comment in this forum he attacks me, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my steel toed boots.

and i agree with you, when my roommate called the repair shop, they said "put a full tank in and then tighten the gas cap good, and see if your light don't go off"

and that was when he decided to cash in that 40 bucks i owed him...so i paid for the tank.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 08-23-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive