Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which '85 personal luxury coupe
Chevrolet Monte Carlo 6 33.33%
Pontiac Grand Prix 1 5.56%
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 10 55.56%
Buick Regal 6 33.33%
Ford Thunderbird 5 27.78%
Mercury Cougar 2 11.11%
Dodge Mirada 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,628,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
Buick Grand National
Cutlass Supreme Brougham
Ford Thunderbird Turbo
I'd go with the the Buick GN and T-Bird Turbo, however I would replace the Cutlass with the Monte SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
While, I love the Cutlass and the Regal, the T-Bird and Cougar were great designs that still stand out today.
I love the interiors of those old T-Birds. My mom had one when I was younger. That was a nice car, I think hers only had the 3.8 V6 or something close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,263,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa...why isn't the Grand National in the poll?

At any rate, that gets my vote.
Ah, that goes with the Regal selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Hey....you forgot the Buick Regal T type.

Well you know what my first pic would be.....Grand National.

Followed by the Regal....probably the best looking of the G bodies. IMO.

Then The Monte Carlo....followed by Cutlass.....followed by the Grand Prix.

Shoot really those G body cars were just some of the best looking cars of the 80's.
Yeah, I knew you would pick that GP. I was going to post a T-type, but posted a GN instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
The Cutlass outsold all of them, didn't it?
I believe so. It was a very popular car in the 1980s. I still see TONS of these around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I love the interiors of those old T-Birds. My mom had one when I was younger. That was a nice car, I think hers only had the 3.8 V6 or something close to it.
Me too. We had a 1983 Thunderbird in the early-mid 90s. It also had the 3.8L V6. Good engine, but they were bad for clogging up the oil screens in the oil pan (which ironically was also the case with the GM 3.8L V6 of the same era), no matter how well maintained they were. Ours had developed a very loud clattering engine and the transmission was starting to slip, so we sold it.

About those GM cars, they were nice and I liked most of them, but the V8 models were the way to go, as the 3.8L V6 were for the most part, early wear engines. We had a 1985 Regal that looked like new and was a beautiful car, but the tranny went our before it had 100K miles and not too long after the engine started clacking and the oil light started illuminating. Dad sold it for $200 to a local lady. He alerted her of its troubles, but despite that, she took off in it and headed to Michigan from here in Tennessee! He later saw her and the car made it, but while up there, the battery slipped or something and shorted out and messed up some electrical components or something, but she still drove the car back down to Tennessee! Whats even more ironic is that it ended up in a junk yard that adjoins some of our property on the lower end (which we cant see unless we go down aways). The car was there for about 2 years, but it vanished. I guess its on a different part of the junkyard now, because they have not crushed anything in several years.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:52 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,114,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Ah, that goes with the Regal selection.

Yeah, I knew you would pick that GP. I was going to post a T-type, but posted a GN instead.

I believe so. It was a very popular car in the 1980s. I still see TONS of these around here.

Me too. We had a 1983 Thunderbird in the early-mid 90s. It also had the 3.8L V6. Good engine, but they were bad for clogging up the oil screens in the oil pan (which ironically was also the case with the GM 3.8L V6 of the same era), no matter how well maintained they were. Ours had developed a very loud clattering engine and the transmission was starting to slip, so we sold it.

About those GM cars, they were nice and I liked most of them, but the V8 models were the way to go, as the 3.8L V6 were for the most part, early wear engines. We had a 1985 Regal that looked like new and was a beautiful car, but the tranny went our before it had 100K miles and not too long after the engine started clacking and the oil light started illuminating. Dad sold it for $200 to a local lady. He alerted her of its troubles, but despite that, she took off in it and headed to Michigan from here in Tennessee! He later saw her and the car made it, but while up there, the battery slipped or something and shorted out and messed up some electrical components or something, but she still drove the car back down to Tennessee! Whats even more ironic is that it ended up in a junk yard that adjoins some of our property on the lower end (which we cant see unless we go down aways). The car was there for about 2 years, but it vanished. I guess its on a different part of the junkyard now, because they have not crushed anything in several years.
I vote for the Buick Regal's with the Olds Cutlass not far behind, there are definitely still plenty of these cars on the road today, I didn't care much for the Monte Carlo's/Grand Prix's of that era although I did like the Monte Carlo SS alot.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
I vote for the monte carlo SS but always thought it weird that they never put the 350 TPI from the Iroc camaro's and firebirds into a G-body it would of been perfect instead they put in the L69 HO 5.0 with 190HP which back then was decent but now it is kinda funny that such a large car had so little power the base model were even worse with 160HP out of the LG4 305.

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-01-2010 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I vote for the monte carlo SS but always thought it weird that they never put the 350 TPI from the Iroc camaro's and firebirds into a G-body it would of been perfect instead they put in the L69 HO 5.0 with 190HP which back then was decent but now it is kinda funny that such a large car had so little power the base model were even worse with 160HP out of the LG4 305.
I also thought it was odd that the 350 was never offered from the SS Monte Carlo considering it was offered on the Iroc Camaro's

Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,147,989 times
Wasn't a 350 even offered on El Caminos? Although I guess that could be justified for potential hauling purposes.

How come Mark VII and Eldorado aren't options?

That purple Olds looks good, but Monte SS takes it

Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Wasn't a 350 even offered on El Caminos? Although I guess that could be justified for potential hauling purposes.

How come Mark VII and Eldorado aren't options?

That purple Olds looks good, but Monte SS takes it
Nope

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 AM

118 posts, read 251,473 times
i loved the looks of all the GM G-body cars, but they were all too "generic styling" from 1978-1988... so out of these (tho the poll is long past closed) would have chosen that T-bird... always liked those years on the 9th gen birds... especially the turbo models...

Last edited by lincsta; 01-02-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,118,265 times
T-Bird/Cougar wins this one IMO, although I imagine the Monte SS had more power? I also think that Dodge is hideous, I've maybe seen like 5 of those in my lifetime.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 AM

118 posts, read 251,473 times
my friend has a monte ss that he races... he built his own engine and that thing sounds so sweeet!! when he starts it up just gives you chills..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive