Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 AM

471 posts, read 1,609,825 times

Advertisements

Luxury coupes = Cadillac Eldorado, Buick Riviera, Lincoln Mark series etc.

Cars that weren't embarrassed of their size on the outside despite usually really only being able to carry four adults inside.....but carried in disgustlingly decadent comfort ; cars which used politically-INcorrect engines that were entirely too powerful for the size of the chassis they were installed in; and their best feature to me, their (usually) very cool and slick styling that instantly caught your eye in a sea of cars that seemed drab & utilitarian in comparison, even models sold by the same brand.

While I'm not the target demographic for a luxury coupe (I'm more of a sporty Chevy coupe or small truck guy), I still like them and would go check them out at local dealerships to see what cool features the engineers had dreamed up for these cars that the elegantly dressed people in the commercials would appreciate.

Lastly, though I realize the days of cheap gas are very probably over and the planet only has so many resources to draw upon, I still believe there's a place for at least a few slightly irresponsible vehicles (even when being practical you gotta have SOME fun every once in awhile!).

BTW even though I'm more of a Riviera guy myself, here's a great example of what I'm talking about: Lincoln Continental Mark IV walkaround

Wow.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 01-30-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,319,652 times
I'll take mine with rich Corinthian leather.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...3wswM9YOtX6-Ug

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM

^ I'm really talking about full-blown LUXURY coupes, rather than a car with luxury-ish features available at a "reasonable" price.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,242,418 times
I don't like any of 'em. Didn't like 'em then, and don't like 'em now. If I were to spend a lot of money on a car with two doors, it will be fast.

BTW - I don't think the cars the OP lists were actually very good cars. They had ordinary GM, Ford powertrains, same cheap faux stuff inside. But they were ready made to be turned into pimp-mobiles.

Primo two door luxury cars are available from Europe, just not US brands. Maybe the CTS-V coupe is the shining star. I would drive one of those.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM

^

I'm also not wondering about non-domestic luxury coupes, which pretty much never disappeared (fortunately), because they can be incredibly expensive, plus many of them are not very large. Nor was I discussing luxury coupes' 0-60 times or cornering force capabilities, though I would not want my coupe to be a sloppy handling mess whose tail slides out at the merest hint of a curve or understeers so the front tires feel like they're gonna peel off the rims. I've driven a 1980 Riviera that's been taken care of and while it's no BMW 6 series coupe, it more than held its own around town and did not have the wallowing/bouncy ride or dead steering many younger people think all older American cars had (don't want to start a war here , but older Fords were generally the ones - to me - that had dead steering, so overboosted you could use your pinky to turn the wheel).

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,066,633 times
I do not think they will really come back like they were before. There is the CTS coupe, but I rarely see one around.

Instead, I think the future is 4 doors with rackish coupe rooflines, like the Mercedes Benz CLS.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,319,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
^ I'm really talking about full-blown LUXURY coupes, rather than a car with luxury-ish features available at a "reasonable" price.
Sorry, I was going by the definition accepted by the auto industry which is a two-door coupe equipped for comfort and convenience rather than performance or economy. I wasn't aware that your personal opinion took precedence. My bad.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,921,545 times
Cadillac, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar and BMW make large and expensive luxury coupes.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,634,560 times
I think once the economy recovers we may see some 2-door crossovers, similar to the Murano convertible except with a fixed roof. Many ppl in that over 50 demographic are used to the lifted raised wheelbase of SUV's/CUV's and don't want to go back down to a sedan/coupe platform.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sorry, I was going by the definition accepted by the auto industry which is a two-door coupe equipped for comfort and convenience rather than performance or economy. I wasn't aware that your personal opinion took precedence. My bad.
I am aware of the different levels of luxury and their price points, but I only wanted to discuss one class of luxury vehicles and that is why in my first post I listed so many details of that particular class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive