Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 6,221,083 times

Advertisements

I have an Audi which I think probably has a very similar noise to the VW mentioned previously. I always click til I either see the flashers or hear the chirp. In daytime it is usually the chirp since I cannot always see the lights and tend to wlak away while locking so want to be sure one of the local dumptruck sized SUVs hasn't blocked the signal.

I think when they first came out the loud honk was as much for show as anything. Letting everyone know the vehicle used a fob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:18 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,039,447 times
My last neighbors parked in their driveway, but it was just underneath my bedroom window. The honking from the door-locking was driving me crazy, so I brought my bike horn in and set it next to the window.

Their honking was quickly reciprocated by a blast from my own bike horn.

That didn't make me very popular with the neighbors, but the honking stopped, eventually. I don't think they were smart enough to look in the manual to quiet their key-fob; they probably just started locking manually.

The guy across the street, however, is chirp-chirp-chirping- all day long. He's constantly going out to his car for something and chirping his keyfob. I get 4 chirps on opening and one on locking. By the end of the day it is 50 or more chirps, and they're really loud. He knows I don't like it, and he does it to irritate me. How do I know this? We already talked about it. When I go outside to get into my car, his car chirps, but there's no one around. He just wants to let me know that he's watching me. It's really creepy.

I don't chirp my car back at him, although I could. That would be petty. My chirper isn't as loud as his, either.

Trying to prove harassment is going to be exceedingly difficult, even though my guests can hear it, too. All of my own neighbors are subjected to this regular annoyance even though I'm the target. That just shows how little respect the neighbor has for the peace and quiet in our little neighborhood.

Anyone who reads this and still hasn't quieted their key-fob is oblivious to the way their unnecessary sounds affect the people around them.

Do you want your street to sound like a parking lot? I don't.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

16,677 posts, read 17,449,350 times
Oh, this thread is close to my heart!

The world is full of irritating and unnecessary chirps and various electronic noises.

Car central locking systems are an obvious one and I would personally like to throttle the idiot who first came up with the idea.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Oh, this thread is close to my heart!

The world is full of irritating and unnecessary chirps and various electronic noises.

Car central locking systems are an obvious one and I would personally like to throttle the idiot who first came up with the idea.

I put up signs in my apartment complex by the mail boxes kindly asking them not to honk after 11 PM when most ppl are asleep. Almost immediately, they were taken down as if everyone has a right to be as noisy as they want to be. Nobody practices common courtesy anymore and too many ppl are lazy in this country.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM

23 posts, read 126,032 times
On my 2006 Chevy Tahoe, I could adjust the settings so that I do not have the honk when locking the doors.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Our 02 Explorer has no beep once, a beep if you hit it twice. In parking lots in the day I always hit it twice, just as an audible confirmation that it did in fact lock. At night though you can see the headlights flash and that's good enough for me.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,577,395 times
I think some people don't realize that they can turn off the honk sound. If they read their manuals it gives instructions on how to lock the doors without the annoying horn honking. I don't know if this exists with all cars or not but check your manuals. I learned that from reading mine.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,239 times
related cartoon:
Car Alarm Honk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifsoftwareengineers/4651405749/ - broken link)

Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
They're preparing us for a future, when all cars will beep constantly when in reverse.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,550,024 times
My 2003 chevy Malibu offers the option of horn or no horn when remotely locking the doors. I read the owners manual to find out how to turn off the horn chirp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive