Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,276,225 times

Advertisements

I had a 1994 Chevy Silverado that the Check Engine light was perpetually on. Fortunately for me guidelines said that in Texas 1995 and earlier would still be allowed to pass with the light on.

However....

My wife's 1999 Grand Am had the light come on about a week before I had to get it inspected. The culprit was the downstream O2 sensor. It was about an $85 fix...but found out it could be done for significantly less if I would have shopped around (eg Pep Boys). Several months later this car was stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
FWIW you can buy code readers that will reset codes for these OBD-II cars, they are not terribly expensive.

Possible that a chain auto parts store can read and reset.

Even though the car passed smog, pay some attention to the codes, if you have an o2 sensor for example that's on it's way out, better to change it now than change it and maybe the cat as well later.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,688,487 times
A bad connector or a bad spot in the wiring can also cause the "check engine" light to come on. Mine always comes on in my '87 Trans Am, the codes said it was the MAT sensor, I replaced the sensor and the light still comes on.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,384,518 times
FYI, for OBD2 vehicles, when you go to have your smog check done, they plug in a scan tool, and they can tell if you've just recently cleared the codes, as all the "monitors" will not be running.

The only thing you can do is to fix the problem.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
1975 and older cars are smog exempt here. It is nice not to have to bother bringing my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood in for a smog check, especially since it's only driven about 1,500 miles per year.
Unfortunately, my '76 Fleetwood Limo is required to have a smog check every 2 years which sometimes is a real pain when it needs a lot of adjustments to make it pass. When I bought it, there was a 25-year-old and older smog exempt rule then it was changed to 1976 and newer.

Someday I just may buy a '69 limo to exchange for my '76 so I won't have to bother with smog checks. I keep my cars in tune anyway.
I'm afraid it is only a matter of time

It is a real pain in the you know what... I have a car that I have to drive just to pass smog... it is used 98% on the ranch, but smog is required for tags... so I drive it out on the highway when I otherwise wouldn't.

I too got caught up on the exemption rules. At first it was vehicles 25 years or older, then it was 30 years and now it is only for model year 1975 and older.

Every year some legislator wants to repeal the exemption and every year I write dozens of letters why it shouldn't be repealed.

Seriously, how many daily drivers are model year 1975 or older anyway??? Next they will be telling us we can't use our fireplaces on cold winter nights... wait a minute, they already doing this in the San Francisco Bay Area

Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM

38,945 posts, read 22,950,840 times
My car (95 Mazda Protege) failed the biennial smog check last year because the stupid Check Engine Light came on when the technician did the testing. I took the car to the Mazda dealer later in the week and the service technician there couldn't figure out what was causing the light to come on. He ended up just resetting the light and releasing the car back to me. I took it back to the smog check station and--thankfully--it passed. My car is due for a smog check this year next when the registration renews in June. Right now, the Check Engine light doesn't come on, but I'm afraid it might when I get it smogged later.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM

24,514 posts, read 33,350,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm afraid it is only a matter of time

It is a real pain in the you know what... I have a car that I have to drive just to pass smog... it is used 98% on the ranch, but smog is required for tags... so I drive it out on the highway when I otherwise wouldn't.

I too got caught up on the exemption rules. At first it was vehicles 25 years or older, then it was 30 years and now it is only for model year 1975 and older.

Every year some legislator wants to repeal the exemption and every year I write dozens of letters why it shouldn't be repealed.

Seriously, how many daily drivers are model year 1975 or older anyway??? Next they will be telling us we can't use our fireplaces on cold winter nights... wait a minute, they already doing this in the San Francisco Bay Area
I hope it's not a matter of time.
The government should realize (I hope) that, like you said, there are so few 1975 and older daily drivers out there that it wouldn't be worth smog checking them.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:48 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,294,315 times
I think your problem proves that the smog check test is not about what comes out the exhaust, but rather " all about the money' they can clean out of your wallet. 96 model OBD II systems have a terrible record for codes being thrown. You can replace every part involved in these vehicles (regardless of brand!) and still be flunked because too many codes are showing. I just bought my parents a 96 T-Bird cheap because the previous owner could not get the codes off when testing. It's a very good car, but wouldn't pass the fraud test er, exhaust emissions test because of the codes. BTW, The car blows cleaner than even Ford says it would !!! I just took careful attention to a few parts selected to help it on power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive