Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

Well, I went for my biennial auto emissions test and my 1992 Honda Accord failed the test with a high NOX reading. The standard is 2.50 and my car was 2.52. I drove hard on the freeway for 10 miles before the test, there was a 15 minute wait in line, car idling the whole time, over 100 degrees out, so it was well prepped for the test. Looking at the past few times the car has been in for an emissions test, the NOX has always been high. Here is a little history of my readings. All taken after the car is fully warmed up by a long freeway drive and long wait time in 100 plus degree temperatures.

2 years ago after new spark plugs, wires, Seafoam treatment, cleaning of distributor cap and rotor.

HC .60
CO 8.81
NOX 2.61 FAIL

Took corrective action with new PCV Valve, cleaned EGR Valve with Carbon Cleaner, and installed new O2 sensor. Re-tested 50 miles later. Readings
HC .60
CO 8.79
NOX 2.45 PASS

Two Days ago. Have done nothing to the car in last two years expect add bottle of fuel system cleaner at last fill-up. Have hardly driven the car.
HC .60
CO 7.55
NOX 2.52 FAIL

I don't know whether or not to spend money on EGR port cleaning or a new catalytic converter. I'm torn between the two. If I go the catalytic converter route, which brand of catalytic converter should I request at a shop and does it matter if I get a universal or direct fit? Would there be any savings buying one online and having a shop put it in? I want the car to sound stock and quiet. The car drives beautifully and there is no hesitation, stumbling etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i would do both. you can get catalytic converters in universal fit and have them installed by a competent shop with no problem. and the EGR system needs regular maintenance anyway.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
NOX is usually caused by two things....running lean, and running hot. EGR is usually the device which helps control cylinder temps and fills the cylinder with inert gas. When the EGR becomes clogged, the amount of gas flow can be reduced causing the car to start to run lean when the EGR is open and raise cylinder temps.

My first order of business would be to clean the hell out of the EGR again.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM

143 posts, read 741,629 times
i always change oil, filter, plugs and airfilter before inspections,and it always pass.and even without catalysator working.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Well, I went for my biennial auto emissions test and my 1992 Honda Accord failed the test with a high NOX reading. The standard is 2.50 and my car was 2.52. I drove hard on the freeway for 10 miles before the test, there was a 15 minute wait in line, car idling the whole time, over 100 degrees out, so it was well prepped for the test. Looking at the past few times the car has been in for an emissions test, the NOX has always been high. Here is a little history of my readings. All taken after the car is fully warmed up by a long freeway drive and long wait time in 100 plus degree temperatures.

2 years ago after new spark plugs, wires, Seafoam treatment, cleaning of distributor cap and rotor.

HC .60
CO 8.81
NOX 2.61 FAIL

Took corrective action with new PCV Valve, cleaned EGR Valve with Carbon Cleaner, and installed new O2 sensor. Re-tested 50 miles later. Readings
HC .60
CO 8.79
NOX 2.45 PASS

Two Days ago. Have done nothing to the car in last two years expect add bottle of fuel system cleaner at last fill-up. Have hardly driven the car.
HC .60
CO 7.55
NOX 2.52 FAIL

I don't know whether or not to spend money on EGR port cleaning or a new catalytic converter. I'm torn between the two. If I go the catalytic converter route, which brand of catalytic converter should I request at a shop and does it matter if I get a universal or direct fit? Would there be any savings buying one online and having a shop put it in? I want the car to sound stock and quiet. The car drives beautifully and there is no hesitation, stumbling etc.
It is very common for the EGR port in the manifold to clog up with carbon. You can clean it out with a coat hanger and lots of carb cleaner.

And given the age of your car, it's quite possible your converter is no longer operating at peak level.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
I just went through the same thing with my sons 1999 Honda accord, 2 bolts to remove it , 1 can carb cleaner , reinstalled it , retested it , PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS !. Shop wanted $100.00 to fix the problem. $8.75 + 1/2 hours time got the job done .

Old 07-31-2013, 02:40 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times
I had a new catalytic converter installed and the car passed the emissions test with flying colors. The NOX levels dropped the most.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 18,559 times
Next time use a product called BG-44: it's a little expensive but it will clean your whole fuel system your catalytic converter and O2 sensor. Just open the can and pour it in your tank. Fill your tank with premium gas run it for a day or so ..bam! Yu should pass emission with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive