Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 35,496 times

Advertisements

can some one please help me with finding out some info there is this car out side my job the man that owned the car is now gone he died about 3 months ago an no one has claimed the car and i have talked to my boss and the owner of the building and they both told me that they did not have anything to do with the car that they where not going to do anything about is sitting outside the building is there a way that i could go and file a abandonment title on the car or anything i could do about getting the car i could really use the car the car that i have is about to die it is on its last leg so if some one can help me get some info on that it would be great have a great day and thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 02:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.d.conant View Post
can some one please help me with finding out some info there is this car out side my job the man that owned the car is now gone he died about 3 months ago an no one has claimed the car and i have talked to my boss and the owner of the building and they both told me that they did not have anything to do with the car that they where not going to do anything about is sitting outside the building is there a way that i could go and file a abandonment title on the car or anything i could do about getting the car i could really use the car the car that i have is about to die it is on its last leg so if some one can help me get some info on that it would be great have a great day and thank you
I don't know the answer for sure, but I would start by seeing if you can get an address for the registered/legal owner and try to contact the next of kin.. It's possible a finance company owns the vehicle.
If there is no registration on the vehicle, perhaps seeing if the DMV will assist you by tracing the license number. The DMV can probably answer your question about how to claim an abandoned vehicle.
My similar experience is with renters abandoning vehicles on my property. Renters would move out and leave cars behind. In order for me to dispose of the vehicles, I had to send a registered letter to the registered owner at the last know address, stating for them to retrieve the property or surrender the title or it would be sold at auction..
The letters would always come back undeliverable. I would then need to post a public notice that the vehicle would be auctioned on a certain date. I would post a note on the fence of the property, and a small ad in the paper.
By following the procedure and having all of the above mentioned paperwork, you can take your proof to a judge and get gain title.
The procedure will most likely vary from state to state. I would check with your local DMV and follow the rules. You can't just tow the car home and claim it for your own.
I just googled "Claiming title to abandoned vehicle" and found a lot of information for you to read.
Good luck with your project...

Old 11-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
it depends on the state, but it can be a real hassle in most states.

1st step is to try to get a hold of the 'estate' of the deceased, and have them sign a release if they have the power to do so.

If you know a 'friendly' tow company person they can get a replacement (lien) title easier than you, but they need to tow and hold for ransom through the process.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
When a person dies, there is a next of kin to be notified who may have legal access to the vehicle. It is possible they are not aware of the vehicle and its location as they would not have let it sit for three months. You have NO LEGAL right to the car. Your boss or his landlord can have a tow service tow it away off the property...thereby having a storage tow fee/lein against the vehicle. If not picked up in xx number of days, they can lein sale the car and you would have to bid on it. Touch the car and you are in doo doo. Notifying a relative thru the DMV is your only recourse...legally. After all, very few people die without some relatives. Steve

Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
WOW, ms.d . . . that's a toughie!

Here's a good start . . . there is a website here in Arizona that, by entering either the VIN or Tag Number or both, will alert if the vehicle is listed as stolen anyplace in the United States.

Forward that information to me and I'll be more than happy to check it out for you.

Otherwise, no help.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:12 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,361 times
Quote:
You need to talk to somebody in the DMV of your state.

Several years ago, I bought a car at an abandoned vehicle auction. The tow/repair shop that sold the cars provided the bill of sale. Everything, regarding the title, worked perfectly fine. And the car has turned out to be a GREAT vehicle.

That was in Minnesota. But I'm not sure how it would work in any other state.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Without a legitimate reason to have a financial interest in the car, you're on thin ground just to take possession of it because it's been "abandoned", but not on your property.

If the owner of the property where it's at asked you to remove it because it was in their way, you could later file for the title by publication in some states. To do that, you certify to the county clerk that you have "come into possession" of the car on a certain date, and that you are applying for the title. In our state, you'll fill out an application form, and provide a VIN inspection report (filled out by a law officer) and a picture of the vehicle to the clerk. They have the option to accept or deny your application, based upon their judgement as to the circumstances of your possession. They will also "run" the license plate and VIN to verify that the car isn't stolen, or has an owner of record who rightfully owns the car. After that, you'll need to publish (and show proof of publication) your application for title for a month, and then wait another month for any possible responses to the clerk.

If all is OK after that, the clerk will issue you a title to the car.

You'd be "stealing" the car if you attempt to drive it before having legal possession or ownership. Even just getting into the car, especially if it's locked, could be considered a crime. You can't just take over the car because somebody else abandoned it.

Also, there may be an existing lien/loan on this car on file which will have precedence over your financial interest, or a family/estate that owns the car. Any of these may come forward through your efforts to obtain the title, and you'll be out of luck and your expenses. For all you know at this point, there could be a lender actually looking for the car to repossess it ....

After all this, however, there may be a chance that the deceased's family doesn't want the car, there's no liens on it ... and you can manage to get possession and ownership. The first thing I'd do is take the VIN # and the license plate number to the local sheriff's office and have them run the numbers for ownership/liens or theft.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 35,496 times
Wink ms.d.conant's abandon car issues

ok i hope that you will be able to help me out the tag is AWN2509 AND THE VIN IS 1G4HP52K5WH435466 it is a gray Buick LaSabre custom it is in really good shape.. help if you can get me any info on the car that would be great thank you vary much..

ms.d.conant

Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
It may look in good shape, but more than likely it has serious mechanical problems if it has been abandoned.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Holy run-on sentences, Batman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive