Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times

Advertisements

My One and Only Foreign Car . . . A Mercedes . . . was an absolute nightmare with one problem after another, mostly electrical. Granted, since it was brand new, all the problems were covered by warranty but that did not eliminate the inconvenience and the grief.

Now, after three plus years, my Chevy SSR has been absolutely trouble-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 02:41 PM

281 posts, read 1,379,059 times
VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW - I've had them all... Only trouble I ever had was a defect turn signal light on a VW. Thats it. Great cars, BMW being best.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
I currently own an 06 Benz and an 08 Beam, I have had NO PROBLEMS with either.

I read the reviews and shake my head, how is it that myself and everyone else I know have no problems or virtually no problems and yet they rate very low in Consumers Reports.

Makes me wonder.

BTW, I had a V.W. Touareg, and enormous piece of junk. Do yourself a favor, listen to my advise, NEVER buy one. I cost me a bundle to get it out of my life, and it was worth every penny to get rid of it.

Now you are talking about electrical problems, along with every other kind of trouble !!!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
I was wondering about German engineering because i keep hearing that they have electrical problems such as BMW, Audi, VW, and so on...

So, how frequently does a german car get an electrical problem(s) on its lifespan?

I mean are these German automakers stepping up their game in order to prevent any electrical problem from happening?

Well, I don't know if a 2009 Audi R8 is my dream car anymore, hmmm! Please educate me, guys and gals!
In 800000 Audi miles :
86 4000csq sold it at 170000 miles,
91 200q20v turbo avant sold at 212000 miles
96 A6 2.8qmt sold at 144000 miles
95 S6 turbo (not stock) 191000 miles Still have
02 A6 4.2 V8 87000 Still have
04 S4 4.2 V8 41000 Still have

I have not had a conventional electrical problem. I have had a couple of window regulators go bad and a radio in the 91 200. The modified turbo motors will blow off hoses from time to time but "you pay to play"

The R8 is a great car I would be more worried about tickets!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
I had a Passat that caused me nothing but grief. Timing belt went a 60k miles. Then the heater core went (Later found this was design flaw) and the water flooding in shorted out the computer. I then I had to replace the catalyic converter. After 80k miles and much money spent in repairs I gave up. I loved the car but the repair bills have soured me on German cars.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM

248 posts, read 798,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I had a Passat that caused me nothing but grief. Timing belt went a 60k miles. Then the heater core went (Later found this was design flaw) and the water flooding in shorted out the computer. I then I had to replace the catalyic converter. After 80k miles and much money spent in repairs I gave up. I loved the car but the repair bills have soured me on German cars.
i am beginning to think that VW is in a class all by itself when it comes to workmanship. not sure it is fair to compare the other german made cars with VW (from what i have been reading lately, anyway.)

Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
i am beginning to think that VW is in a class all by itself when it comes to workmanship. not sure it is fair to compare the other german made cars with VW (from what i have been reading lately, anyway.)

I understand, but consider if you will, Volkswagen charges like it's a premium brand !!!

The Touareg cost me about 45k, (nothing but trouble). The ML-350 Benz cost approx. 50k. Never a problem, haven't looked back.

When you are in these price points, a couple of thousand more or less doesn't seem to make much difference.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

248 posts, read 798,027 times
banger. good point. they (vw) are selling like the big guys and it seems to be they really just arent up to par.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
The German makers have terrific engineering, but that doesn't necessarily make them reliable. Terrific in the sense that systems or components are integrated cleverly for whatever reason; for instance the entire front clip of my mk3 jetta is removed from the car by exactly 6 bolts and disconnecting one main wire harness. That's clever engineering. Or that the 911 and Boxster share a bit over 40% of the same parts including some bodywork.

Over the last decade is when the germans have dropped in reliability and it was due to the race of new product and technology, especially in electronics. Remember for years Mercedes was untouchable in the reliability department; all of a sudden they were plagued with blown everything electrical, and later, mechanical too. Same with BMTroubleYou, and it even goes north to Sweeden with Volvo problems starting with the S80 introduction (which, by the way, was before Ford bought the brand).

But recently Mercedes has announced they are going to cut their profit margins by 2/3's(!!) in order to improve the reliability of their cars to the top once again.

I take JD Powers, Consumer Reports, etc with a grain of salt but the last few years had Audi and Porsche as the best german brands, and in the upper half of the overall list while BMW, MB, and Volvo have been towards the bottom.
Good assessment ,my friend. European cars have been unreliable and definately OVERPRICED for many many years. Only European brand that's doing anything about is Porsche in reliablility,still over priced.
Audi?? Improved?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
to be fair (this must have been a 1.8T car) the timing belt is scheduled for replacement every 60K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive