Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,717,552 times

Advertisements

So my DH comes to me and says he accidentally scratched my beloved, low mileage, 2002 Accord with his key. I can't get too upset because he fessed up to his carelessness, but I don't want to leave it like this. I'm not versed in car repairs, car painting, or anything related to this. Is there a way a novice can fix this little scratch and have it look halfway decent or do I just bite the bullet and take it to the body shop for a two inch scratch? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM

5,340 posts, read 6,552,338 times
Get some 1500 grit sandpaper
A glass of water
A good car wax
Rubbing compound

Clean the area then dunk a small piece of the sandpaper into the water
and lightly go over the scratch,you should see it turn white this will be the
clear coat do the area about ½" around the scratch in a back and forth
motion.

Wipe dry and run your fingernail over it if you feel the scratch repeat until
all is smooth, Remember LIGHTLY !

Take 1 part of rubbing compound and 3 parts of wax and mix together
good with a clean soft towel go over the area and expand it to cover
another ½" to blend the area together going back and forth not in a
circler motion, then using a clean dry soft towel buff the shine back in
and apply just the wax after this.

The rubbing compound/wax works great for the fingernail scratches under
the door handles also,don't use the sandpaper unless your fingernails feel
the scratches when running them across the scratch

Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,825,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
So my DH comes to me and says he accidentally scratched my beloved, low mileage, 2002 Accord with his key. I can't get too upset because he fessed up to his carelessness, but I don't want to leave it like this. I'm not versed in car repairs, car painting, or anything related to this. Is there a way a novice can fix this little scratch and have it look halfway decent or do I just bite the bullet and take it to the body shop for a two inch scratch? Thanks for your help!
It is possible, Sunnydee . . . however, if not super careful, you may make it worse.

My suggestion . . . check for Scratch Removing Polish Cleaner (frequently found in colors to match your vehicle's paint) at your local car parts store or possibly Wal-Mart and follow the direction very carefully.

If you're not comfortable with a DIY project . . . have your vehicle professionally detailed. Any decent detailer will have no problem removing any and all minor scratches.

Good Luck

Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,717,552 times
Thank you for the advice!

I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive