Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a small car?
Yes 23 60.53%
No 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

People buy small cars even though they can be deadly.

Americans are buying more small cars to cut fuel costs, and that might kill them.
As a group, occupants of small cars are more likely to die in crashes than those in bigger, heavier vehicles are, according to data from the government, the insurance industry and the National Academy of Sciences (NAS).

The newest small vehicles, of course, meet today's strict safety standards and can be laden with the latest safety hardware, such as stability control and side air bags. They are safer than ever. And differing designs mean some small cars are safer than average. But even the safest are governed by the laws of physics, which rule in favor of bigger, heavier vehicles, even in single-vehicle crashes.

If the switch to smaller, lighter vehicles continues to grow, the result could be anywhere from dozens to thousands of traffic deaths that would have been avoided in bigger vehicles, according to fatality records and safety forecasters. The number depends on how many bigger, heavier vehicles ultimately are replaced by smaller, lighter cars.

People buy small cars even though they can be deadly - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:45 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,231 times
I heard this story this afternoon on Rush Limbaugh. He even had this hilarious song about a small car avoiding hitting a baby goose only to be hit by a Hummer or something.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
No, I never liked small cars. I like big cars or at least mid-sized cars. See below for what I mean.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
I ride a motorcycle 90% of the time so driving a small car is no big deal.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,854 times
I own a car about the size of the previous generation Honda Accord, its not tiny, but may be considered "small" by others. I really don't see the need to own a large car..95% of the time I drive alone. Smaller cars are just so much more maneverable and fuel efficient

Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
When that's what everyone is driving then yes I'll buy smaller.

Just this morning driving to work on Interstate 80 in the pouring rain...little mini cooper amongst all the big rigs, the suvs....cute but looks like a little pregnant roller skate, nah wouldn't feel safe in one

Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,231 times
A pregnant roller skate...? That's funny. Rep point for you buddy.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Getting out of bed in the morning can be deadly.

Small cars wouldn't be as deadly if everyone drove them.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Small cars wouldn't be as deadly if everyone drove them.
My sentiments exactly. Heaven forbid the status-conscious residents of the Sunbelt traded-in their needless four-wheel-drive massive Hummers, Suburbans, and Escalades for something more fuel-efficient that would improve our environment and safety on the roadways, right?

As the driver of a small vehicle (Ford Contour) I'm well aware of the risk involved by driving one of these while eveyone else in Scranton drives a Range Rover. While exiting the freeway last summer I stopped at a red light and was rear-ended by a Jeep Grand Cherokee not once but twice (he was on his cell phone and mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal once he hit me). I was left with so much pain and muscle strain in my neck that I couldn't move it from side to side for several days, and my mother rushed me to the emergency room to make sure I didn't suffer any sort of permanent nerve damage. I could have very easily sued this guy for my lost wages and pain and suffering as a result of this accident, but I opted not to since I'm a nice guy.

The real "kicker" of that accident was that while he only had a little bit of gold paint on his front bumper, my Contour's rear-end crumpled like an accordion with nearly $3,000 in damage, furthering my resolve to never buy a Ford again if they're such death-traps.

The old adage of "SUVs are better in the snow" is also a farce. I've repeatedly driven my Contour in the snow with little problems, yet the one day my mother forced me to take her Subaru Forester to work on account of it being "safer," I was in a fender-bender when my slow-moving vehicle was unable to turn left into our parking lot and instead went straight into one of those landscaped median dividers (an action repeated by many other motorists around me due to the ice storm). I bent the front-right wheel of my mom's SUV and flattened the tire. Others went right up and over the median and back into the parking lot. I would have felt much better in a smaller vehicle.

I don't know why so many dopes run out and buy SUVs under the guise of them being "safer." If these lemmings would all suddenly stop buying them and buy Priuses instead, we'd have less larger vehicles to have to worry about being hit by. Many tractor-trailers that travel long distances could also be taken off the roadways with their materials being transported by rail instead. It's only dangerous to drive a small car because everyone else keeps on buying bigger vehicles. I refuse to become one of these "lemmings" (the same ones who shop at Wal-Mart and then whine about Chinese imports or dead Main Streets).

Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,854 times
When the front bumper of your Chevy Tahoe reaches the top of the trunk of someone else's sedan...of course you would have a better chance..but you put others at risk! Up in the North East you see more sedans than you do trucks/SUV's...not to say that they're not popular, but not in the numbers you see down south or in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive