Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,144,955 times

Advertisements

Got a couple small scratches and was wondering what some good products are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 PM

404 posts, read 1,558,517 times
i've been wondering myself, as i have a few minor chips. so far as scratches i am just familiar with those scratch "pens" and what not

Amazon.com: Simoniz Fix It Pro Clear Coat Scratch Repair Pen: Automotive

33 reviews and they are not stellar for this best known brand. lots of other "related" products on that page, also

however what of small / tiny chips? over time will these chip, flake, and peel larger if not taken care of? i have a silver car and have tiny chips on my front bumper and roof. is the touch up paint found in auto stores good enough to stop them from getting bigger and eventually showing rust?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
If its only in the clearcoat a rubbing compaund followed by a polishing compound works well.Chips can be touch up by hand and are not likely to get bigger but look bad.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
I think you should start with the least aggressive product that will do the job.

I have gotten good results on small scratches with Meguiar's ScratchX product. Most of the time light rubbing with it makes the scratch not visible.

For deeper chips in the paint - I used Langka's "blob remover" with OEM touch up paint.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 AM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Eastwood offers a good kit for "pre-treatment" and "post-treatment" of applying touch up paint. That is, if you are at the point where you need to apply touch-up paint.

Agree with hoffdano, use the least aggressive product that will fix the scratch. Definitely start with some rubbing compound, then seal, then wax. If that's not good enough try the very fine sandpaper like 1500 grit.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,732,038 times
I've gotten good results with Meguiar's Scratch X in the past. It's also really good for taking off stubborn bugs and other things. However, it is not permanent and will generally only work real well in scratches that are in the clear.

For a bigger scratch, I would really only trust a pro. A lot of good detailing shops are experienced at wet sanding and small spot repairs. Just remember that the bigger/deeper the scratch or chip the more noticeable it will be even after a good repair.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Alright with further inspection, it appears the scratches are down to the metal. They're rather unnoticeable as is, but obviously need to get something over them to prevent rust. I found some matching rustoleum spray paint, so I'm wondering if that might work well. I would probably tape off the area as to prevent as much of that paint getting on the car too.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,980,018 times
How big are the scratches? And where exactly on the vehicle are they?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Alright with further inspection, it appears the scratches are down to the metal. They're rather unnoticeable as is, but obviously need to get something over them to prevent rust. I found some matching rustoleum spray paint, so I'm wondering if that might work well. I would probably tape off the area as to prevent as much of that paint getting on the car too.
Actually the brush type touch up works better here.

You need to get some "metal prep", treat the metal first, then, prime (you can get the little brush bottles of primer too), then put on the color coat.

If this is otherwise a good-looking car, shiny paint, and you are not very handy (be honest with yourself) you may be better off finding a good detailer who does touch up paint.

You can just metal prep it and brush on some clear, this won't make a perfect repair, but it will keep it from rusting.

Very unlikely that Rustoleum makes a perfectly matching color. What make and model car are you working on?

You *can* get matching paint at any auto paint supply and most better auto parts stores.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

It's a black 2000 Jeep, scratches are on bumper right under the hatch. With it being black and the scratches so unnoticeable as is. I don't think rustoleum sprayed right onto the scratches and a small area around them would even be that noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive