Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Brian

The big drag on Diesel will be the cost per gallon. If they could some how get that down it could stand a chance. Well, that and a strong marketing campaign informing the public of the virtues of driving diesel. They also need to inform the public of how much cleaner the new diesel engines are as opposed to older diesel engines and petrol based engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The higher fuel prices negates saving any money by using Diesel fuel. Somehow I am not surprised. I had an old style GM diesel in a big wagon. It gave me 90,000 miles at over 30 mpg before it sized. Not bad for an $1100 car.

Is anyone familiar with or interested in the OLD TECH Lister CS (cold start) small diesel engines? They seem to have a large group of users. The engines are very heavy for the power (like 120 lb/hp) but run at very low speed (600 rpm) and last forever.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Yeah, I'd noticed that the cost of diesel was higher. Seems to me, it used to be lower. Possibly some day it'll flip the other way. I was wondering if there would be a lower cost of maintenance. That, coupled with more MPG might be an equalizer.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 22,449 times
Default Diesel engines are on the rise

Here is an article I read not to long ago. There is much more to it, but I thought this might answer a few questions.

[SIZE=4]Diesel Passenger Vehicles Making a Comeback

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]by Ed Newman and Joel Youngman
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ed Newman is Director of Advertising and Joel Youngman is Lead Technical Writer for AMSOIL INC., the world’s leading independent manufacturer of synthetic motor oils.This article appeared in ASO Magazine, April 2007[/SIZE]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]WHY DIESELS ARE INCREASINGLY POPULAR[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A primary reason people have liked diesel engines is due to the way the engine delivers power. Gasoline engines deliver their power at higher RPMs. Anyone who ever burned rubber in a muscle car knows that you rev it up before you pop the clutch. Diesels deliver their power almost at idle. As a result diesels operate at lower engine rpm and higher torque. Higher gear ratios can thus be used, thereby improving power, efficiency, and fuel economy. Because diesels generate peak power at lower rpm (2000-2100 for diesel vs. 4000 rpm for gas engines), they have a much longer service life.[/SIZE]
The benefits of diesel engines have made them the most common "workhorse" in trucking, shipping, construction, farming and industry. Their adaptability to automobiles and small trucks has proven to be successful, and today more and more light-duty vehicles are being equipped with diesel engines.
But with soaring fuel prices in 2005-06, diesels have also become attractive because of their fuel economy, even though lately diesel fuel has been higher priced than gasoline. Diesel-powered vehicles typically get 30 percent better mileage than gasoline-powered vehicles. This is due to the difference in the way gasoline powered engines and diesels form energy.
Gasoline engines compress a mixture of gasoline and air, which is ignited with a spark from a spark plug, while a diesel engine creates heat by compressing air only. The fuel is injected into the compressed air, where the heat ignites it.
Diesel engines create power more efficiently than gasoline engines because their compression ratios are higher. Diesel engines compress at ratios between 14:1 and 25:1 while gasoline engines compress at ratios between 8:1 and 12:1.
In addition, diesel fuel creates energy more efficiently than gasoline due to its higher energy density. One gallon of diesel fuel contains approximately 147,000 BTU, while one gallon of gasoline contains about 125,000 BTU. (BTU = British Thermal Unit, a standard unit of energy, equivalent to 1055 Joules.)
Because of contemporary concerns about the supply of energy, diesel technology has been gaining ground as numerous auto manufacturers pursue diesel passenger car projects. In fact, last year Audi won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with two diesel cars and opened a lot of peoples’ eyes to their blend of fuel economy and power. And they did it in style.

Get more info at www.buythebestoil.com [/LEFT]

Old 11-16-2008, 08:18 AM

91 posts, read 311,323 times
Although the initial costs are higher for a car or truck with diesel engines. You get that offset by the fact that most diesel engines will easily last five to ten times longer than their gas counterparts.

We have a 1985 diesel Rabbit that has over 500,000 on it. I gave 600 bucks for it in 95. I have put one head gasket on it and a fuel pump. Thats it. It still has almost perfect compression etc. I think I will get a minimum 200,000 more out of it before I tear it down and rebuild it for a whopping cost of 400 dollars LOL

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
They may have done alot with diesel engines emissions but go to any coity that has alot of diesel vehicles like buses running and you can tell they difference when you breathe. Seems like a bunch of gasoline engines that burn oil. My guess is that commercially Natural gas will eventaully take over from diesel as may cities are convrting their buses and other vehicles to natural gas and propane how.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Ever been to Asia? They burn a lot of diesel. I drove a diesel powered Toyota comparable to my Tacoma. It was a great truck. I'd buy a diesel powered yota anyday. Unlike the stereotypical diesels of old this was a clean burning very quiet truck.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
They may have done alot with diesel engines emissions but go to any coity that has alot of diesel vehicles like buses running and you can tell they difference when you breathe. Seems like a bunch of gasoline engines that burn oil. My guess is that commercially Natural gas will eventaully take over from diesel as may cities are convrting their buses and other vehicles to natural gas and propane how.
True, but I am going to guess if your small economy car was burning that much fuel, making that much torque, and hauling that many people and weight it would probably stink a little too.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
I'm actually getting a chubby thinking about the new VW TDI Jetta
Sports Wagon..... then I just think about the last time I bought a 1st year out
auto (Focus) and I slim down quick.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
And interesting article comparing VW Jetta TDI Diesel verus a Prius
VW Jetta TDI Diesel vs. Toyota Prius Reviews - Volkswagen Fuel Economy Beats Prius - Popular Mechanics

The VW seems to be more reliable and gets better mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive