Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 05:26 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,371,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That’s why electric cars are a nonstarter for me. I don't want the cost of a charging station in my house right now,

yeah, that $400 cost is definitely a deal breaker for you poor people. Mine was $700 with labor and the electric company paid me back for it. Oh, no, what an utter hardship that was!

BTW, if you have a 110v outlet, you have a home charging station.

And that's one of the LESS dense anti-EV posts in this thread. The rest of you anti-EVrs just look stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:46 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,260,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
yeah, that $400 cost is definitely a deal breaker for you poor people. Mine was $700 with labor and the electric company paid me back for it. Oh, no, what an utter hardship that was!

And that's one of the LESS dense anti-EV posts in this thread. The rest of you anti-EVrs just look stupid.
My solar array installers threw the 50A EVSE line and sub-panel for free; I negotiated it in for them to get the bid over a competitor. I don't feel bad at all, it took them less than an hour to run the line through the attic and into the garage. I'm now able to charge up to 9.6kWh. Before that I was using my NEMA 10-30R for our electric dryer. Since we only used the dryer twice a month, it was no big deal switching plugs but we'd only charge at 5.7kWh.

We didn't take advantage of the utility company rebates, but they exist to help encourage the adoption of BEV/PHEV and make it more affordable for all.

I must admit I made the switch to EV on the cheap. I bought our off-lease 2013 Fiat 500e for $7,300 out the door and a used Tesla Model S 85 for under $40K...the Fiat as already paid for itself in fuel savings. The only maintenance items on both cars have been windshield wiper blades and tires.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,002,710 times
Quote:

You must have gotten a hell of a deal. The average cost to buy and install a level 2 Charger is apparently between $1700-$2700. https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-...hicle-charger/

A 110V outlet only charges about 5 miles of range per hour.

You should try and use less anger in your post. It’s just car talk, not politics.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 AM

17,438 posts, read 12,395,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
There are currently 7 EVs at less than $30K new right now, another 3 less than $35. EVs are not for everyone but cost should not be that much of a driving factor.
And they get down to 10-12k as a low mileage off lease used purchase.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:34 AM

1,887 posts, read 2,260,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You must have gotten a hell of a deal. The average cost to buy and install a level 2 Charger is apparently between $1700-$2700. https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-...hicle-charger/

A 110V outlet only charges about 5 miles of range per hour.

You should try and use less anger in your post. It’s just car talk, not politics.
I wonder if realtor.com is inflating those numbers to oversell the value of a pre-existing EVSE line. They are popular in new construction. I say this because according to Tesla and other EV forums, most pay less than $1K with the average being about $700.

I must admit I have a skeptical bias towards anything related to a realtor.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 800,260 times
Default AAA confirms what you are saying about cold weather Battery loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The data I have read suggest no diminished life on the battery, but you do get less mileage when driving in the cold, up a hill, with the heater going. Again, lots of Denver-Vail threads out there on Tesla forums.

AAA confirms what you are saying about cold weather battery loss. There is much less of a battery loss percentage wise in the extreme heat of Florida summers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/aaa-...d-weather.html

Here are some DIY ways of improving battery performance.

https://www.teslarati.com/top-5-tips...ng-ev-battery/

Old 10-14-2019, 10:55 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,371,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

Look up the actual prices of Level 2 charging stations. MOST residential ones average $500 and the installation is only a couple hundred bucks. So about $400-500 if you DIY and $700 if you have it installed AND you get that money back from the electric company in most places EVs are sold. So it's NOT a cost of $1700-2700 at ALL.

Hardwired is $379: https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-2...category_id=66

Same one with a plug for a 220V outlet is $399. That's just one of many brands available.

Quote:

Maybe you should try putting less easily disproven "facts" in your posts. I'm getting tired of repeating the same facts to people that can't get it through their heads. The constant repeating of stuff that's been debunked as a right wing talking point against EVs is staggering here, Politics? EVERY goddamn anti-EV post is a political one brought on by oil company shills and anti-Obama types. I'm not even a Democrat and I'm getting quite tired of trying to explain these things over and over again. In every thread.

Batteries don't die quickly. That's a leftover from early Leaf batteries that were air cooled and did have problems in certain environments. And from early Tesla owners who bricked their cars letting them run entirely out of juice. That literally can't happen anymore. Trends have shown that 200k miles+ are possible on stock batteries in these cars. And they cost less to replace than a car engine if you use crate engine pricing to compare to factory battery pricing.

To the OP, the cost of a Tesla Model 3 battery is very much the equivalent of a BMW 3 series engine replacement and will need to be done about as often (i.e. rarely) and much less than the cost of the performance version of the BMW 3 series (ever price out an ///M engine from the factory? Or an AMG engine for Mercedes?) Don't say that the battery is a "hidden cost" on an EV and ignore the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engine on a competing ICE car.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:50 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,421,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Thank you for correcting my terminology . I also have some questions.

How many miles do you get per hour of charging with your (100 dollar plug install) using the (Level one charger)? Check out the link you are severely limited.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/ele...st-and-savings

"A Battery and a fuel tank are NOT the same"

Don't you have to fill the battery with (actual energy) regularly by charging it?

Doesn't the battery lose gradually lose it's ability to hold actual energy over time via charging cycle degradation?

Could that be the cost of battery numbers 1 and or possibility number 2 that may have been over looked?

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/1...-depreciation/
The $100 was for a 14-50 plug mounted a couple of feet from the service panel - have same setup at both my houses. The charger is in the vehicle and it came with a 14-50 adapter - level 2 charging. The vehicle charges at 40 amps (pull 80% of max rating) - charging is about 9-10 kW - even if battery almost depleted, easily recharges overnight.

You have to fill the battery but cost to fill is pretty small - there are places that are as little as $0 to fill at commercial sites and at home. The cost to fill the model 3 at my houses is about $5.5 in CA (very high electricity cost area) and under $3 in NV, my cost to fill at a supercharger is $0. The LEAF is used by my son, charging on 120V circuit is at about 1.5 kW - but with a small battery, it easily charges overnight with normal use and is less than $1 to fill. I was going to get a higher speed charger for the LEAF but 120v setup is good enough.

The studies have shown that the older Tesla battery still retain 90% of charge capacity at about 200k miles and projected 80% at 500k miles. The newer batteries chemistry should be able to retain close to 90% at 500k miles. Some have had issues with LEAF batteries, so far we are still getting original range after 4 years of use. These are not levels that would require replacing them.

As far as depreciation, many EVs depreciate quickly because they had huge EV rebates at purchase. In Denver, buyers got $7500 in Federal and $6000 from state rebates. A $32k new car was really $18,500 even without any other discounts - 47% reduction at purchase. At 5 years, value loss of 70% is $9,600 value so 9600/18500 = 52% residual for 48% actual depreciation consumer saw with no other discount - about normal. When we bought our LEAF in CA, we got about $3500 from Nissan and $2000 from the dealer - if those in Denver got the same - 9600/13000 = 0.74 residual which is much higher than normal - with 26% deprecation, that is among the lowest of all cars. Tesla's are currently at the upper end of low depreciation rates.

Last edited by ddeemo; 10-14-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 01:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 800,260 times
Default Battery's longevity has everything to do with charging cycles

Quote:
Look up the actual prices of Level 2 charging stations. MOST residential ones average $500 and the installation is only a couple hundred bucks. So about $400-500 if you DIY and $700 if you have it installed AND you get that money back from the electric company in most places EVs are sold. So it's NOT a cost of $1700-2700 at ALL.

Hardwired is $379: https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-2...category_id=66

Same one with a plug for a 220V outlet is $399. That's just one of many brands available.

Maybe you should try putting less easily disproven "facts" in your posts. I'm getting tired of repeating the same facts to people that can't get it through their heads. The constant repeating of stuff that's been debunked as a right wing talking point against EVs is staggering here, Politics? EVERY goddamn anti-EV post is a political one brought on by oil company shills and anti-Obama types. I'm not even a Democrat and I'm getting quite tired of trying to explain these things over and over again. In every thread.

Batteries don't die quickly. That's a leftover from early Leaf batteries that were air cooled and did have problems in certain environments. And from early Tesla owners who bricked their cars letting them run entirely out of juice. That literally can't happen anymore. Trends have shown that 200k miles+ are possible on stock batteries in these cars. And they cost less to replace than a car engine if you use crate engine pricing to compare to factory battery pricing.

To the OP, the cost of a Tesla Model 3 battery is very much the equivalent of a BMW 3 series engine replacement and will need to be done about as often (i.e. rarely) and much less than the cost of the performance version of the BMW 3 series (ever price out an ///M engine from the factory? Or an AMG engine for Mercedes?) Don't say that the battery is a "hidden cost" on an EV and ignore the cost of rebuilding or replacing the engine on a competing ICE car.

200K Batteries have a long way to go before their longevity can be compared to that of an ICE engines longevity before overhaul.

There are lots of examples of ICE engines doing a million plus miles before an overhaul.

https://jackmaxton.wordpress.com/201...told-by-frank/

https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/...scounting.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ion-mile-motor

Longevity has everything to do with battery charging cycles. Charging cycles vary greatly with climate. The battery is still the unsolved variable in this equation.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:47 PM

267 posts, read 333,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
200K Batteries have a long way to go before their longevity can be compared to that of an ICE engines longevity before overhaul.

There are lots of examples of ICE engines doing a million plus miles before an overhaul.

https://jackmaxton.wordpress.com/201...told-by-frank/

https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/...scounting.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ion-mile-motor

Longevity has everything to do with battery charging cycles. Charging cycles vary greatly with climate. The battery is still the unsolved variable in this equation.
Your average car is going to be in the crusher long before it hit's 200k miles. Sure, there are examples of cars with a huge amount of miles, there are also EVs with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them also. They are all outliers and are all statistically insignificant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive