Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM

7,311 posts, read 5,193,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The assumption that this entire nonsensical rant relies on is that you paid $12,500 more for the car because it was electric. I paid the same amount for my Tesla, less actually, than I would have if I had gone for the BMW or Audi....

What am I missing?

Compare a hybrid or EV vs its conventional ICE counterpart from the same manufacturer. If you drive the average 20,000mpy, it'll take 30 yrs of "gas savings" to break even on the price differential.

But, we do award you with a cookie for being a good boy and driving a Tesla.

BTW- unless you charge it with your own solar or wind generator, you're dumping more co2 into the air than if you drove comparable distances with an ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,519,114 times
What a bizarre bit of analysis and discussion by the OP! And the OP's most recent link has nothing to do with how to extend the life of ICE.

Worse, to totally neglect the life cycle costs of maintenance in a claimed financial analysis is just not reasonable. Just consider the cost of oil changes (full synthetic these days) over 100K for example. I have yet to see an electric that requires those?

Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 AM

1,074 posts, read 792,134 times
Default If your usage range isn't above optimum charging miles you could extend battery life, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think the biggest assumption and failure here is the life of the battery. It was assumed that hybrid batteries would only last 8-12 years. We now know that even the earliest mainstream hybrid batteries last double that while maintaining 70-90% of their initial charge.

I'd imagine that the higher quality batteries being used in today's electric cars would last either that long or longer.

If your usage range isn't above optimum charging miles you could extend battery life, however.

A number of caveats still exist.

How clean your power is. How efficient your/their charger is. Where you are doing the charging.

https://www.energysage.com/electric-...rging-your-ev/

Where you live in the country. (extreme temperatures have a negative effect on batteries

Your own discipline as a driver and staying within optimum charge-cycle miles.

Here is a link that I think could help any E.V owner extend their batteries life.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02143273/document

Here is another about the cost of solar charging which could also help long term.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ctric-car.html

Old 10-12-2019, 08:36 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,591,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
My experience as an industrial electrician and as a wheel and track mechanic is where the information is based.

As a lease short term getting your feet wet in the E.V. market could be an educational entry point.

Gas pumps for years have been required to have backup power. At worst in an emergency, a backup generator and an electrician will bring a gas station back on line at a minimal cost in a short time.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...065-story.html
You are clearly not an economist. I’m not paying $12,500 for a battery. I’m paying $50K for a car. I would have spent the same for an ICE car.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

BTW- unless you charge it with your own solar or wind generator, you're dumping more co2 into the air than if you drove comparable distances with an ICE.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? The last data I saw widely varied based on the energy production in your state. Even the dirtiest coal states have my car as equivalent to a 40mpg car. That’s in West Virginia. In states that use a lot of hydro or nuclear power, it is in the 150 mpg range.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-12-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,804,424 times
After reading the OP's initial post, I was reminded of an old Abbott and Costello comedy routine; 7 goes into 28, 13 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzxVyO6cpos

Enjoy.

Rich

Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Default However, read on the attached link where the real cost of an E.V.'s battery is as much of 50% of the cars total cost.

Quote:
You are clearly not an economist. I’m not paying $12,500 for a battery. I’m paying $50K for a car. I would have spent the same for an ICE car.

However, read on the attached link where the real cost of an E.V.'s battery can be as much of 50% of the cars total cost. Then add in the cost of the solar backup and the cost and the cost of the conventional charger. After you do that add in the 25 percent your income has already been taxed before the purchase of your all these things.

https://steps.ucdavis.edu/wp-content...date-2017-.pdf

Dirty power was a reference to the quality of power arriving at the home via aging transmission lines. Low quality power can go unnoticed by the untrained. Failures and loss of expected appliance longevity can occur because of low or varying voltage being delivered. I guess you can compare it to periodic tanks of bad gas on an ice car.

Same circumstance can occur a step up the line, your cars charger or solar installation. In the end it's a bean counters dream.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-electric...SAAEgInw_D_BwE

Old 10-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
However, read on the attached link where the real cost of an E.V.'s battery can be as much of 50% of the cars total cost. Then add in the cost of the solar backup and the cost and the cost of the conventional charger. After you do that add in the 25 percent your income has already been taxed before the purchase of your all these things.

https://steps.ucdavis.edu/wp-content...date-2017-.pdf

Dirty power was a reference to the quality of power arriving at the home via aging transmission lines. Low quality power can go unnoticed by the untrained. Failures and loss of expected appliance longevity can occur because of low or varying voltage being delivered. I guess you can compare it to periodic tanks of bad gas on an ice car.

Same circumstance can occur a step up the line, your cars charger or solar installation. In the end it's a bean counters dream.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-electric...SAAEgInw_D_BwE
You’re still positing that I would have spent $12,500 less on another car. I wouldn’t have.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:34 AM

Default I'm sory I didn't make my opinion clear.

Quote:
You’re still positing that I would have spent $12,500 less on another car. I wouldn’t have.

The cost of a battery, charging system, and a solar backup plus install costs is not being presented as part of the cost of E.V. ownership. Add to that trip restrictions, and as much unseen maintenance costs as any I.C.E. vehicle.

The $12,500 is a trade off for the I.C.E. drive train. Which as I have mentioned has proven to be 1,000,000 mile capable with no routing restrictions..

I'd say adding previous mentioned costs and the smaller world that is forced upon E.V owners, is well beyond that $12,500 plus interest for the 10 year up front prorated battery life purchase.

If you are happy with your purchase nothing else matters. May your E.V go forever and a day. This is just a public forum and I am here to contribute my experience and opinion and learn what I can from others in the process.

Thank you for responding.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:31 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,974,430 times
Quote:
You're paying for extra battery capacity. What you have is a $37500 car that cost $50K. The extra $12500 is basically a larger "gas tank" and not more car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive